Gas Scale hydro builds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think maybe we should go over top the dock and read about Namba's d7 going to run a 30 cc limit The 30 cc rz motor for 330 bucks sure is apealing

"..........Har har har as Bob says.

After trying to stuff a zenoah in the skeleton I wish the frames on the side were the same size on the left as right. That would have made a Zenoah a easy install. Learn as we go"

Hey Mike,

That's not what I say when trying to get the Zenoah in and out my CT. More words that would run an old sailor out of the building. Whatever engine I end up putting into a Gas Scale will be able to be removed from the top with allen head screws holding it in place. Trying to install/remove the Zen in my CT, only being able to get 1/8th of a turn on the 5/16 hex head bolts is only going to happen with me this one time. Same applies to the side exhaust headers and no leak flanges - - *^%$#@!+(*&^%$#!!!!! Guess I've been spoiled removing 67s with four allen head screws for too long.

Let the epoxy fly Mikey - I want to see some more of these "Birch ply Overcast" Beasties in the water. It's all Good !!! Har, Har !!!! CHEERS !!! Bob
Hey, looks like your running a solid shaft. Any reason for that?

I think maybe we should go over top the dock and read about Namba's d7 going to run a 30 cc limit The 30 cc rz motor for 330 bucks sure is apealing
30cc would have to follow G2 rules. Zenoah just released their 28.5cc for $225.00 and it comes with an easy start....no carb.

Going to be interesting to see how this class evolves.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hey, looks like your running a solid shaft. Any reason for that?"

Hey Glenn,

Yes there is.

I generally don't do things just for the Hell of it. I ran a solid shaft in ball bearings in a Sport 40 Division 1 hull for the same reason when I lived and raced in California years go. In both cases - - Stock motors with limited ponies was the main reason. This solid shaft is also adjustable - a.k.a. - Pinckert Power Drive.

Ask Roy - - he'll explain.

Tell Lennard to get HOT - - it's 4JAN12 already. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Glenn,

Yes there is.

I generally don't do things just for the Hell of it. I ran a solid shaft in ball bearings in a Sport 40 Division 1 hull for the same reason when I lived and raced in California years go. In both cases - - Stock motors with limited ponies was the main reason. This solid shaft is also adjustable - a.k.a. - Pinckert Power Drive.

Tell Leonard to get HOT - - it's 4JAN12 already. CHEERS !!! Bob
These young whipper snappers..." RAF LMAO''

Hey Glenn,

Yes there is.

Tell Leonard to get HOT - - it's 4JAN12 already. CHEERS !!! Bob
These young whipper snappers..." RAF LMAO''
Hey Roy, I'll take that as a compliment ya old fart. :p

Never heard of a Pinckert Power Drive.....I'm starting to feel young again!

hey Glenn,

i may be mistaken, but what i think i heard the first guy say is...

"your flexcable is slowin your ride down, go ask the old pro how it works....u big dummy"

and the other guy said

"yeah..they are dumb and im rollin on the floor laffin my @$$ awf"

I feel like I'm in a Geico commercial....I'll stick with the flex cable and the versatility it offers.

BTW, did you ever finish your scale?

I feel like I'm in a Geico commercial....I'll stick with the flex cable and the versatility it offers.

BTW, did you ever finish your scale?
nah..roy thinks it will be done in sept...

i'm not disagreeing with him either...lol

dood..i cant believe all the work in a scratch build, you can convince yourself to build every part twice to improve it..lol

...props on your scratch built pak...

"....I'll stick with the flex cable and the versatility it offers"

Hey Glenn,

What the "First Guy" was implying was not a slam, just incomplete.

"Pinckert Power Drive" was developed by Don Pinckert some years ago. He told me it had been published in an IMPBA Roostertail(Newsletter) about 1984 or so. I didn't see it - I was out of boating '80 - '87 - work comittments. It basically allows you to adjust a solid drive shaft higher or lower using an adjustable strut, as you do with a flex cable installation.

We had run solid shafts running inside a brass tube supported by ball bearings for years. The first flex cable I ran was in a Sport 40 while living in San Diego area. This was the first boat I had after 1987. Initially set up with a solid shaft, I went to a square drive flex cable to attempt to make the hull better between the sat water pond in San Diego, and fresh water of Legg Lake and Prado Dam. I can't tell you how many times I cut the webbed in shaft log out of the hull - - tweaking it.

Since I've been here in Texas, I decided to revisit solid shafts again, and put one into a Miss US 5 I have (Cotton Hull built by Harold Dobbins) - see webbed in solid shaft pic. Solid shaft setup shows how I maintan spacing between the bearings. I use flanged bearings for front & rear bearings, all the others are the ID of the stuffing tube (two thicknesses of brass tubing.

Seems like - no sooner than I had finished glassing in the webbed shaft, Don asked me why I had done that, and introduced me to the "Pinckert Power Drive" I put that into my Shorty's CT, and have really liked it, so I put it in a new Scale boat I'm building too. Keep in mind that solid shaft probably won't work well on any hull. I build my own hulls, so the angles are my own also.

Solid shafts are more difficult to set up properly than cable, but they offer some benefits too. I believe I can run a prop with more pitch in a hull running a high three point, then one dragging it's arse, like many CTs I have seen running the last few years. I run 14XX /21XX/16XX series props on solid shaft boats.

The next time you go running, fire the engine up, and then apply friction with a finger to the flywheel. I think you;ll be surprised how little friction will cause the engine to bogg down.

Lennard,

September??? What the Sam Hill are you doing - Growing your own Birch trees, and brewing your own epoxy. Did you sell the glass Leland hull you had posted 'For Sale' ??? Get that puppy together and get it into the water so you can get some time with a Scale boat. BIG difference from what you've been running.

Ray,

Thanks for taking care of my 'Light Work' for me. I appreciate the assist. Glen doesn't feel that Old now??? I won't tell him I started doing boats in 1970, while he was still crapping Yellow. Har di Har !!!! CHEERS !!! Bob

lol Bob!

as i mentioned, getting things right is obviously important (word on the street is scale nazi's use blitzkrieg on new ppl trying to enter the class (they ran 4 scale boaters outta the hobby a few years back and they never returned), which is ironic as nitro dies off in our area, 2 boats showed up at the first race last year and i completely lost interest) and as you sed urself, the dynamics of scale are much different than other classes and im enjoying the learning process (ie taking a long time)

i agree with you about friction so i find it interesting that your using hardshafts to free up your motor...

was too hard to let go of my leland hull..and i decided motors are a dime a dozen compared to pretty scale hulls :)

ill send ya more photos of u50 as things develop...(took a closer look at photos of the scoop and completely changed it last nite)

more later,

Len

ps - "crapping yellow"...roflmao :D

Whats up with the Gas builders any progress? I will start to send out cowls this week. come on guys dont strech it out too long, chat elsewhere please. It would be interesting to start a general scale hydro chat post.

Well I'm in the process of building the '72 Notre Dame and the Miss Thriftway Too. I plan to run the Notre Dame this year with PNWTA along with my 1970 Miss US. The Thirftway Too may be finished by mid to late season. I'll post pics as the progress moves along.

Sounds like there a few boats being put together out here in the PNW. Look forward to the season.

Fred

Whats up with the Gas builders any progress? I will start to send out cowls this week. come on guys dont strech it out too long, chat elsewhere please. It would be interesting to start a general scale hydro chat post.

Hi Phil- Just checking in to see if you are getting close to shipping the cowl I ordered

Marty

Well I'm in the process of building the '72 Notre Dame and the Miss Thriftway Too. I plan to run the Notre Dame this year with PNWTA along with my 1970 Miss US. The Thirftway Too may be finished by mid to late season. I'll post pics as the progress moves along.

Sounds like there a few boats being put together out here in the PNW. Look forward to the season.

Fred
Hi Fred,

I was wondering do you have a cowl for the Thriftway Too? I am also working on a gas scale version and would certainly be interested in one. Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin-

We will be making a mold, but won't have it ready until late spring. I can let you know when we have it ready. Fred

Hi Fred that would be great! It takes me years to build boats spring will be more than fine. Thank you

I have been working on the bull nose of my scale and the bottom. Trying to fit it properly before putting the bottom on......pics later this week if I dont freeze

Back