G-10 or Wood Skins

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myrcbud

I just wanted some opinions. I purchased the Dumas sport 40 Eagle yesterday. I was thinking of using g-10 fiberglass sheets for the skin instead of wood sheets. I can get this in 1/32 in increments. Should it be 1/32 or 1/16in for skin? I figured that if I use this I would only have to seal the joints So 1/32,!/16 or the wood skin from the kit?

http://www.dumasproducts.com/cgi-bin/dumas...oduct/View/1329

Let me Know what you think.

myrcbud said:
I just wanted some opinions. I purchased the Dumas sport 40 Eagle yesterday. I was thinking of using g-10 fiberglass sheets for the skin instead of wood sheets. I can get this in 1/32 in increments. Should it be 1/32 or 1/16in for skin? I figured that if I use this I would only have to seal the joints So 1/32,!/16 or the wood skin from the kit?
http://www.dumasproducts.com/cgi-bin/dumas...oduct/View/1329

Let me Know what you think.

81327[/snapback]

I would go with the wood.. Wood is good..

Grim

myrcbud

Please !!!! Measure the plans and see if the open area in the nose is, I think 25% of total length.... 9"s... Measure from the pickel fork tip to the air diverter,and from the rear of the air diverter to the center section...and lets see what it measures..???

I've been looking at that hull for two years..!!!!! :huh: Grim and I both asked about this boat and got no response..... Keep us updated..!!! ;)

Thanks Bug !!!

Sorry, I don't have any experience with those glass sheets that you mentioned.

I've built quite a few Dumas boats and I've got two more brand new in their boxes. One thing that I've been told and have found out by personal experience is that Dumas boats are very heavy. They use a lot of wood that is thicker and heavier than is needed. You probably will be able to replace some of the Dumas wood with lighter, stronger wood. Your finished boat will be lighter and faster.

Waterbug I only ordered it but I haven't got it yet but I'll measure it for you.

Danny I've heard that Dumas boats can be a little on the heavy side so I plan on taking this thing to the driil press.

I plan on keeping the contruction process updated( the wife got a new digital camra) its my first kit boat so I'm going to ask alot of questions

I really want to use the G-10, I'm just not sure aboat the thickness, any ideas?

I think you will find the G-10 too heavy. for sure if you do use it use as thin as you can get away with. I would stick to the wood also. You also might have a hard time getting good joints.

Myrcbud,

After purchasing some of the g-10 glass and doing a little mock up construction to see if it would work, I did some research and decided to abandon the idea of using the glass as I was not very happy with the joints. I used West Systems epoxy on all joints and sanded both joining surfaces for a good key. After 24 hours of drying and letting set for a couple of days I found the sheeting was very easy to seperate from the 3/16" spruce stringers using a screwdriver and a little bit of force. I also lightly banged the mocked up sponson around a bit, slapped them around in a wash tub of water, trying to simulate extreme racing conditions and found the joints didn't hold up very well, at least not well enough to risk making a boat from the stuff and have it come apart on me after spending around a $100 + putting a scale boat together with it.

I have instead decided to go with the use of Okoume ply for all of my present & future building projects, it is light, strong and waterproof and readily accepts conventional boat building adhesives.

I would stay with the 1/16" ply for sheeting and not have to wonder if the deck or bottom is ever going to sperate some time in the future.

I've been using something that I use to build up various things like radio boxes,

tail wheel pants for Gee Bee air racer, elevator sheeting and even lengthening

the sponsons on an XTR. I make up my own "sheet stock" out of epoxy and Fiber glass cloth of varying thickness between two pieces of "waxed" heavy glass. The

advantage of using this is that if you building a boat from plans you can see right

thru the epoxy/glass sheets and transfer parts from plans really easy. The other

thing is if your going to sheet over "bulkhead" type frame work, lay the "decking

sheet" over the structure and draw out where the frame work is and turn it over

and "dob" thickened epoxy on all the lines, flip it over and line it up and put some

weights or "sand socks" on it until cured. You have another advantage of not having to waterproof wood,,not much in there is going to get water logged.

I haven't built a boat yet with this methoed but my boating friend has built a

"Circus Circus" from Dumas plans,,BUT he used polyester resin and glass cloth

and did not thicken it and the boat came out pretty heavy,,mostly from resin

puddles. :unsure: But the thing still runs perdy good and is strong too :lol:

Something else, I use "Marine Grade" epoxy,,it's just about as "clear as you can get. The control (airplane) surface sheet stock I make is 2 layers of two ounce

cloth and man! it's Thin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make up my own "sheet stock" out of epoxy and Fiber glass cloth of varying thickness between two pieces of "waxed" heavy glass.
Jerry, tell me more about this "waxed" heavy glass. I might give this a try in the future for something. :D .

dannyual767 said:
I make up my own "sheet stock" out of epoxy and Fiber glass cloth of varying thickness between two pieces of "waxed" heavy glass.
Jerry, tell me more about this "waxed" heavy glass. I might give this a try in the future for something. :D .

81568[/snapback]

Hi Danny! Nice hearing from you.

I wax the glass myself, with "carnuba" wax,,I use to buff it off at first but it makes it too scarey to get the two glass panels apart and i found that not buffing,,just

smearing a light coat on and layin' up right over that,,That the glass seperates

better. You have to sand the peices anyway after you make the parts so the epoxy

will bond best.

Well thanks for all the advice guys. If wood is better then I'll use it, but I'm not ruling out g-10 but I will do more research before I make my final decision. Once again thanks again for all the advice.

Thanks, Jerry! Like I said, I may have a need for some epoxy glass sheets like that in the future and now I know how to make them :D .

dannyual767 said:
Thanks, Jerry!  Like I said, I may have a need for some epoxy glass sheets like that in the future and now I know how to make them  :D .
81597[/snapback]

Just a note: Most things you might build, like radio boxes and boat framework

is going to be about 4 to 6 layers of 4 oz fiber glass cloth, or accordingly with

6 oz material :)

Back