Door skins

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyotatruckin

Just wondering how many have built hulls using door skins and how well they hold up over time, I know this isnt the ideal wood (believe dumas kits are basically door skins and they suck) but local im stuck to 12x24 sheets and all the 1/8 I need is over that--and Ive got hollow core doors that I can skin free lol but seriously if the exposed parts are covered with very lite glass and back sanded I believe they would be as strong if not stronger and finish out just as well all the 1/32 would be good ply and it is wood over foam construction

You might be amazed at how well different woods hold up when sealed/glassed properly. I have seen an entire pontoon boat floor and bench seats made from store bought plywood hold up for years of being outside because it was glassed over completely with 6oz. cloth. I have a small 15 foot sport boat that I built a custom race deck on using 1/4" Luan. Glassed it over with 1708 and then gel coat. No problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that to seal and glass doorskin to make it usable for an R/C boat is that it adds weight and, if the finished boat is weight sensitive, it could kill performance or could make a more powerful drive set up manditory. I had to add a 1/32 doubler to almost all of the cross frames in a Dumas sport 20 Pak build due to the very fragile nature you're asking about

I built my first Keps rigger tub out of luan from the local Lowe's. It was real light and is still in one piece and in real good condition.

Used Z pox finish epoxy to pickle it and that was it done.

all I could get at the time and it was cheep as heck.

David

I have started using Occume marine ply with good results.

They are less expensive than aircraft birch. They are also lighter and more flexible. The 1/16" ply is great for skinning. 1/8" ply is a little too flexible for my likings for framing but it is definitely much better than the Dumas Luan door skin.

My last build of a tub was made with ocume ply and it is the lightest and strongest ply made. but it is very pricey,

David

David,

I remember I paid $40 for a 4X8 sheet a couple of years ago. That is a lot cheaper than aircraft birch. I bought them from here:

http://www.boulterplywood.com/

They also have Sitka spruce. I bought a piece of it and ripped it into 1/4" X 1/8" for the spars in my gliders. Sitka spruce is very strong and has straight grains and will work well as the stringers.

kez

That is where I got mine from. Had it riped down in 2'x4' pieces for UPS shipping. about $60 with shipping.

The shipping is a bite.

It is the best ply for building boats. even has Insurance on the lamination. ;) dam Brit's will insure any thing. :lol:

David

Interior door skins are not well suited to our model boats cause of the water soluable glue used to laminate the plys together, that all changes if you can get exterior rated ply. You can test the ply by putting a small 2" x 2" sample in a cup of water overnight. If it is delaminated and all the plys are seperated and laying on the bottom of the glass, maybe it's better for doll houses!!

Doll houses, :lol: :lol: Cheap is cheap you understand, I'm just cut right person in a low budget land. I'm on a low budget!!!!!!!! Buy Good ply from the web sites listed, you won't regret it later on. Lonestar was my fav till they had a fire, but there coming back. ;)

Interior door skins are not well suited to our model boats cause of the water soluable glue used to laminate the plys together, that all changes if you can get exterior rated ply. You can test the ply by putting a small 2" x 2" sample in a cup of water overnight. If it is delaminated and all the plys are seperated and laying on the bottom of the glass, maybe it's better for doll houses!!
The laminating glue almost isnt even an issue if you build and seal your boat correctly especially wood over foam where there is no place for water to get trapped--plus 3 steps covering the wood (epoxy seal, glass,paint) dont leave much for water to get at---top that with ive owned glass hulls from well known builders that had quality grade rotten wood in them same with wood hulls and it usually always starts where someone never sealed the hardware holes they drilled

Try National Balsa Co. for your aircraft grade plywood. Fair prices good turn around time. I saw a $38 1/8x12x48 sheet at Colonial Photo and Hobby yesterday and about had the big one.

For that price, I can buy a 30X60 piece of 3/32 or 1/8 birch plywood from B&D. Sounds like someone is really trying to slam the modelers since I can buy the same thing at all the LHSs for under $20

The laminating glue almost isnt even an issue if you build and seal your boat correctly especially wood over foam where there is no place for water to get trapped--plus 3 steps covering the wood (epoxy seal, glass,paint) dont leave much for water to get at---top that with ive owned glass hulls from well known builders that had quality grade rotten wood in them same with wood hulls and it usually always starts where someone never sealed the hardware holes they drilled
I think the biggest problem with hardware store plywood is not the laminating glue used. Rather it is the voidings in the ply. All 1/8 ply you can find at a lumber yard of hardware store (even furniture grade) has only one good side. The other side always has a lot of voids. Worse yet it is the voids in the middle ply that you cannot really see.

I have built many Dumas kits over the years and I never failed to find some voids in their Luan material.

Other than the occume marine ply, I have found Baltic birch ply to be a good substitute for the more expensive aircraft birch for frame purposes. I have bought a couple of sheets (1/8") at a local store for $10 and it is good for the framings for a couple of 1/8 scale.

I have built lots of gas boats with door skins.Had good results only failure was running one into a stone wall but put duck tape over the hole and ran it some more.Some skins are better quality.Seams the older the door the better the wood.They cheap things out so bad now adays you never know what your getting.
CB5.jpg

i have two monos that roxyflash built . One we flipped on madden run no damage . the other a shelf queen do to money an time . Both hull's r still great looking . also love the sound of it on the water .

Latest posts

Back