FYI: 2014 NAMBA FE Nats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, or anyone else that has found themselves trying to enter a "full" class, email Fred @ [email protected] to get on the "waiting list" for that class.

They've got a monumental task organizing this size of FE event, and only so many boats can hit the water on any given day. I'm sure as we get closer to the event, entries will change, people will drop, etc. MMEU will back-fill a class where they can.

They've got a game-plan, just get on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
David.. understand the task.. (past IMPBA Internats CD).

Can I ask what happens if a day gets rained out? Is that day eliminated and we move on to ...say.. event day 3, regardless of the non complete of the rain day? Or does day two in this case try to finish up on day 3?

Just trying to get an understanding not only for me, but others that might be new to FE racing and on the fence about joining this event. (I don’t want to be the only IMPBA dude at this race.. COME ON IMPBA DUDES!)

Grim

I assume the only we get rained out is if the temperature drops below say 50 degrees along with it, or the wind is more than 20 mph and or we are getting lightning stricks. It will suck but otherwise I think we are running.

There will be a lot of us that are both NAMBA and IMPBA. So we got your back Mike. How about a little IMPBA versus NAMBA like Hobart does. Wait - that might open another can of worms. :)

Doug

Aha.. there are never any tornados in MI during a boat race...lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can I ask what happens if a day gets rained out?
We had a whole day of rain at the last Cup race. Lightening is the only thing that stops us from racing. Gales force winds is Michigan racing. haha

We don't have a specific plan for a rainout. However...........we are scheduled to finish up on Saturday. We could, in theory, if the weather got too nutty, take a vote of the racers to see if they wanted to run something Sunday. Not ideal but possible. Not a policy etched in stone either but for me and likely all of MMEU we would not want anyone going home having not raced the boat they came to race. That would just suck.

Q tunnels could run in the Q cat class I suppose. I've never seen a Q OPC anywhere. Not even a nats. Is this something that's taking off that I missed?

We have a few Q tunnels in the Southeast. There has been some talk by a few Northwest coasters (Lohring)of some there. Namba does not have an OPC Q tunnel class or a record posted. After running P tunnels I find Q a better fit with .45 nitro hulls.

An OB tunnel qualifies in the NAMBA rules as a hydro but by definition a cat has to be a representative of an Offshore cat hull. I have seen outboard tunnels in the full size unlimited class but not offshore. I would be comfortable running an OB tunnel in the Cat class but I am sure someone would protest.

Mic

Can I ask what happens if a day gets rained out? [/size]
We had a whole day of rain at the last Cup race. Lightening is the only thing that stops us from racing. Gales force winds is Michigan racing. haha

We don't have a specific plan for a rainout. However...........we are scheduled to finish up on Saturday. We could, in theory, if the weather got too nutty, take a vote of the racers to see if they wanted to run something Sunday. Not ideal but possible. Not a policy etched in stone either but for me and likely all of MMEU we would not want anyone going home having not raced the boat they came to race. That would just suck.

Q tunnels could run in the Q cat class I suppose. I've never seen a Q OPC anywhere. Not even a nats. Is this something that's taking off that I missed?

Officially, NAMBA has P-Limited, P, and Open ("T") tunnel classes... Anything greater than 4S would run as a "T" OPC.

I'd love to run something in the Q sized, and have a brand new Warhead hull here to do it with, but just haven't had the inspiration to get the build done, not having anyone else to run with here locally.

The 7.5 sized boats are a great size for the power available. Would run it as a somewhat "limited" power system so that 6S1P would sufficient. Boats would be 55+mph heat racing boats, and would be a blast...

Could go with huge Gas sized hulls, but what's the point? The larger you go, the less participation you are going to get.

Darin,

A "Q" tunnel class will be self limiting as if you push the hulls into the 60mph range in heat trim you will probably not finish. A 1521/1600kv Neu will push your Warhead easily into the low 70's. In heat trim you couldn't sensibly prop for more than 60. We like the Warhead for SAW and two lap but as a heat boat it spanks you more than you want. I have been testing some S & T setups with a 1527/1250kv and they are SAW only. Again self limiting as more power than needed. A Gas size would need mega batteries and costs would prohibit growth. The Q's can run 5000-6000ma singles and make heats. A 4084 and T-180 or Swordy 200 will get you mid fifties. That's in line with spec costs and a lot more performance.

Mic

Darin,

A "Q" tunnel class will be self limiting as if you push the hulls into the 60mph range in heat trim you will probably not finish. A 1521/1600kv Neu will push your Warhead easily into the low 70's. In heat trim you couldn't sensibly prop for more than 60. We like the Warhead for SAW and two lap but as a heat boat it spanks you more than you want. I have been testing some S & T setups with a 1527/1250kv and they are SAW only. Again self limiting as more power than needed. A Gas size would need mega batteries and costs would prohibit growth. The Q's can run 5000-6000ma singles and make heats. A 4084 and T-180 or Swordy 200 will get you mid fifties. That's in line with spec costs and a lot more performance.

Mic
Mic... Do you mind if I have all of those "Length Limit" (aka: Boat hull size limit) detractors read this? You just high-lighted the point of implementing Length Limits in FE... (Quick, close this can of worms I just opened... :D )

Brian and Lohring have LeeCrafts all setup for "Q-Limited" and they look like a BLAST to run... Really cool size that lets you run in race water, can see them, etc... I just think it would be fun.

Can I ask what happens if a day gets rained out?

Thanks man.. I think this answers it!

See ya at the race!

Grim

Darin,

Mic
Mic... Do you mind if I have all of those "Length Limit" (aka: Boat hull size limit) detractors read this? You just high-lighted the point of implementing Length Limits in FE... (Quick, close this can of worms I just opened... :D )

Brian and Lohring have LeeCrafts all setup for "Q-Limited" and they look like a BLAST to run... Really cool size that lets you run in race water, can see them, etc... I just think it would be fun.
Length and OB tunnels have little performance bearing here. My best rough water Q hull is my own at 32" long. Adding length with pickle forks doesn't always make a better or rough water boat. The mid section sponson width and dead rise transition is where tunnels work in my opinion. If you go to a larger boat 36-39 inches you won't necessarily have an advantage. If you make the class larger underpowered hulls with limits you might take the skill of driving away. In testing a 36" Vision with a 1515/1500kv Neu it is a 50-55mph hull you barely have to lift the throttle. Same boat with a 1521/1600 and you gain 5mph and now you have to lift constantly. Becomes a total driving challenge. My son Jay opts for the 1521 every time thinking he can handle the power and doesn't finish heats.

Mic

402 Boats / 45+ Racers !!

Just in case you have been hiding under a rock.....
The 2014 FE Nationals sign-ups have been posted
less than 2 weeks ago on:
RCRacingEvents.com
These sign-ups more than 8 months prior to the event have been
amazing. If you ever wanted to go to a Nationals, this would be
one to consider. This will certainly be the biggest race in quite
sometime, and most likely the bigest all FE race ever !!
After attending this past years 2013 Michigan Cup at the same
pond site, I can easily say this is the very best race site that
I have ever seen. You owe it to yourself to give this one serious
consideration. Also signup before all the limited race slots are filled.
Enjoy your weekend,
Ken
bounce.gif

As of today it is 414 boats with an average of 42 drivers over the 4 day period... Bringing the number of boats per racer to 9.85

That's not really all that much considering most of us are running 2-3 classes per day for 4 days. Running 2 - 3 classes per day at the FE Nats isn't that bad. It's a lot easier than running 5-6 classes in 1 day at the Badger pond.

Yea.. should not be to bad.. I have run 5 but 3 is typical.. got to have time to help other with pitting and what not! Im with you.. no fun to be on a dead run at the races.

this is a HUGE NATS MAN.. Nice to see.

Grim

69 heats a day average.. (assuming 6 boat heats).. I bet we run 8 boat heats.. I like lots of boats per heat anyway. Should be doable!

Rock and roll!

grim

69 heats a day average.. (assuming 6 boat heats).. I bet we run 8 boat heats.. I like lots of boats per heat anyway. Should be doable!

Rock and roll!

grim

YIKES! Hahaha... I guess I'd better bring the resin and cloth! Especially since some of my boats need to be used for multiple classes. :)

Awww man wish I could race a bit more FE out here so I could contemplate coming over there ;)

Back