Futaba R603FF 2.4 GHz FASST Receiver

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave (and others) I think it's great you have been able to use it that way but I'll put it this way, when the manufacturer says it's ok to do that way maybe I'll bite .... but they don't. Both Futaba & Nomadio, the 2 best systems out there, say the last part (about an inch) that is stripped back of it's outer casing needs to be vertical & unobstructed. I'd hate to see an accident due to a signal failure and have the manufacturer wind up involved (very likely in the event of a lawsuit) only to say the directions were not followed. Is it an extreme situation, maybe but these days it wouldn't surprise me. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we please just forward this thread to the Whitehouse so the entire world can know how loyal Don is to Futaba?
Hey Joe .... stow it. I'm a bit agitated at the path Futaba has chosen & know it could easily have been different. I'm also know I'm not alone in my feelings and if it gets people to speak up about it then so be it. :angry:
Just twisting the knive Don!

Hi Bill -

The information you provide is interesting.

I have essentially 2 concerns with 2.4 GHz radios. Note that my primary concern is not about spread spectrum - it is about the carrier frequency. Let me explain my concerns:

1) 2.4 GHz attenuates much more in free space than 75 MHz (about 10 dB more Free space path loss)

2) 2.4 GHz is much more directional (sensitive to shadowing) than 75 MHz (hence the Line-of-Site concerns).

The best I can figure, the free space path loss difference between 75MHz and 2.4 GHz ia about 10 dB (at distances 100-500 m). That means that (given that all other losses and gains are equal) that the modulation and coding technique would need to provide a 10 dB gain to make up for this difference in path loss. OK, that is possible. As you probably know, a large part of the gain realized by spread spectrum systems can be quantified by dividing the data rate into the spreading rate, and converting to dB. Gain = 10*log(Spreading rate/Data Rate). So I think that would be my question - what is the data rate (I don't know what data rate is required to support 3 channels of throttle, rudder and mixture information), and what is the spreading rate? If the gain is not more than 10 dB (to make up for the path loss difference between 75 MHz and 2.4 GHz), then I would say I'll be sticking to my digital 75 MHz PSK radio. If there is more than 10 dB of spreading gain, then...cool!

Beyond that, I agree that we have to talk about cable losses and antenna gains. Certainly higher frequencies do not require antenna lengths as long as lower frequencies to achieve the same gain. However (I think you touched on this), higher frequencies do suffer from higher losses in the cable. How do FASST receivers account for this? It is not nearly as big a question as the one about spreading bandwidth and data rate, but cable loss does have an effect.

When you say "multiple receivers", do you mean that these receivers have RAKE receivers? How many fingers?

The satellite part totally got me confused, but I am guessing that that part doesn't really have much to do with boats. Please correct me if I am wrong. I would love to know the satellite application that is being used! Especially if is is not GPS!

The eight antenna part confused me as well. Can you offer a further explanation of how the 8 antennas are used / connected to the receiver(s)? Is there 1 per RAKE finger?

The shadowing/Line-of-Site fading part will never go away at 2.4 GHz. 2.4 GHz will always shadow more than 75 MHz. But once again, it comes down to the link budget. If there is enough headroom in the maximum allowable path loss, then it is possible that shadowing will not be an issue.

Additionally, the part about "essentially immune to interference"...I have done a LOT of interference testing of spread spectrum systems, and have found that outside interference definitely can affect spread spectrum systems, although I agree with you that SS sytems do have some interference rejection ability. the only problem is that this interference cuts into the link budget. So, while in good path loss conditions, the link budget hit might not matter, but the maximum range will definitely be affected by interference. The more interference (higher power levels), the bigger the link budget hit and the smaller the range of reliable operation. Correct?

I look forward to increasing my understanding of how the spread spectrum radios work! I appreciate you assistance!

Thanks

Jay

What you see on the Futaba FASST receivers is not all antenna. The antenna itself is ONLY the small bare wire looking portion at the end. The rest is coaxial cable that is designed to allow you to get the antenna out and away. The Spektrum RXs have very short antennas on them and they are ALL antenna.
The problem with using a longer run of coax cable is that at 2.4 GHz it is very lossy. Signal attenuation is a physics problem that cannot be easily dealt with.

And I know this may sound odd, but with SS you are far less likely to ever need failsafe since the signal integrity is so much better. SS is far less likely to have a problem with RF generated inside the model and is essentially immune to outside interference. The biggest problem for SS is keeping the TX and RX antennas in line of sight contact. JR/Spektrum addresses this issue with multiple antennas and satellite receivers (one new airplane model has THREE satellites plus the main one giving you EIGHT antennas!!). Futaba does it by making it easy to get the antenna up and out. Longer would be nicer, but as I said, it has a limit based on the signal loss caused by longer runs of coax.

Hi Bill -
The information you provide is interesting.

I have essentially 2 concerns with 2.4 GHz radios. Note that my primary concern is not about spread spectrum - it is about the carrier frequency. Let me explain my concerns:

1) 2.4 GHz attenuates much more in free space than 75 MHz (about 10 dB more Free space path loss)

2) 2.4 GHz is much more directional (sensitive to shadowing) than 75 MHz (hence the Line-of-Site concerns).
Both correct. Neither is a real issue if they are kept in mind. That is why antenna placement is more critical with the SS installation. JR/Spektrum goes so far as to have multiple satellite (auxillary) receivers with 2 antennas each. Futaba uses 2 antennas per RX on their aircraft units.

The small single antennas (although the 603FS RX actually has 2) are not a problem for most boat installations due to the generally limited range requirements. At most ponds I have seen you will be hard pressed to get more than 300 meters away in any case. That is why the boat radios have essentially the same range as the "Park Flyer" SS radios.

The best I can figure, the free space path loss difference between 75MHz and 2.4 GHz ia about 10 dB (at distances 100-500 m).
snipped

I would say I'll be sticking to my digital 75 MHz PSK radio. If there is more than 10 dB of spreading gain, then...cool!
A couple of items to keep in mind. Futaba has a full function aircraft version with 14 channels and JR has a 12 channel SS radio coming to market now. Neither one has evidenced any issues with data rate. Data rate is not a real issue for these radios since the whole idea is that the signal is spread across a wide swath of the RF spectrum being used. In fact, the whole reason SS works allowing multiple radios to be using the same portion of the RF band is because our data needs are so low that the radios are really only transmitting data for very short intervals. The rest of the time they are essentially idle.

Best way i can put it is that there are no issues with data rates for a 14 channel radio as can be observed from use in helicopters, jets, etc. SO I am pretty confident in saying that a 3-channel radio will not be an issue.

BTW your 75 MHz radio more than likely PPM or PCM as opposed to PSK. PSK is a more or less "pure" digital modulation scheme and PCM/FM is a digital approximation of the analog signal that still requires variation in the carrier wave amplitude to convey the information. PSK digitally modulates the phase of the signal versus the amplitude.

Beyond that, I agree that we have to talk about cable losses and antenna gains. Certainly higher frequencies do not require antenna lengths as long as lower frequencies to achieve the same gain. However (I think you touched on this), higher frequencies do suffer from higher losses in the cable. How do FASST receivers account for this? It is not nearly as big a question as the one about spreading bandwidth and data rate, but cable loss does have an effect.
This is why Futaba has chosen to keep the coax cable on the short side in order to maintain signal quality. JR/Spektrum uses satellite RXs with multiple antennas to get the spatial distribution they want, but even they limit the wire runs to 36 inches and that is after the signal has been converted in the satellite RX.

The satellite part totally got me confused, but I am guessing that that part doesn't really have much to do with boats. Please correct me if I am wrong. I would love to know the satellite application that is being used!
This is JR/Spektrum terminology. It is confusing. Take a look at this link, it should make thing a bit more clear:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Product...rodID=SPMAR9000

This page shows a new model of theirs with the main RX and three "satellite" RXs.

The shadowing/Line-of-Site fading part will never go away at 2.4 GHz. 2.4 GHz will always shadow more than 75 MHz. But once again, it comes down to the link budget. If there is enough headroom in the maximum allowable path loss, then it is possible that shadowing will not be an issue.
This is true combined with the use of multiple antennas to reduce the possibility of loss of line of sight due to shadowing.

Additionally, the part about "essentially immune to interference"...I have done a LOT of interference testing of spread spectrum systems, and have found that outside interference definitely can affect spread spectrum systems,
When I refer to outside interference it is in reference to rejection of spurious RF that is generated by metal to metal contacts, engine igniiton modules for engines, etc. Most of these sources have been determined to exist at frequencies no greater than 455 MHz.

The other possible interference is of course from other SS radios (wireless routers, etc.) in the area. This generally raises the noise floor and usually does nothing more than slow the response rate down. In real life this has not been shown to be a real issue except in a couple of very specific circumstances. Like flying fields next to weather radar domes, etc. As you no doubt know the main reason for the development of SS was for military uses at first in order to develop a system that was less prone to jamming, or interference as we would call it.

Hi Bill!

Thanks for the response!

I don't know how a 10 dB hit could NOT be an issue!! Unleess there is enough gain in the coding and modulation - which is exactly what I am trying to find out.

Any word on the spreeading rate and data rate? I don't care what the rates are, I am just looking for the spreading gain. I need those two numbers to calculate it.

Still very confused about the "satellite" part. Can you tell us more about ho the radios use a satellite application?

Multiple receivers? Can you please explain?

You are right about the PSK / PCM. I work in wireless digital communications, and just got done teaching a class about digital modulation techniques. So I had PSK on the brain. PCM is right for my 75 MHz radio, and I understand what you mean about modulation techniques.

I am really interested to get the spreading gain question answered!

I am not giving you a hard time here...I am trying to sell one of these radios to myself!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jay

Hi Bill!
Thanks for the response!

I don't know how a 10 dB hit could NOT be an issue!! Unleess there is enough gain in the coding and modulation - which is exactly what I am trying to find out.

Any word on the spreeading rate and data rate? I don't care what the rates are, I am just looking for the spreading gain. I need those two numbers to calculate it.
Sorry, that is information that I do not have access to. Perhaps if you looked up the FCC certifications you may be able to get more information.

Still very confused about the "satellite" part. Can you tell us more about ho the radios use a satellite application?
Multiple receivers? Can you please explain?
Did you look at the photos in the link?? As I explained in the previous post it is not a "satellite" as in a natural or man made object in orbit about the Earth, but rather it is "satellite" in the sense of additional smaller receivers attached to the main receiver. Each has two antennas. Depending on which set up you have you can have up to 3 little RXs and the main one giving you 8 antennas.

You are right about the PSK / PCM. I work in wireless digital communications, and just got done teaching a class about digital modulation techniques. So I had PSK on the brain. PCM is right for my 75 MHz radio, and I understand what you mean about modulation techniques.
I am really interested to get the spreading gain question answered!
Do a search on the FCC site for the certifications or perhaps if you go to the Spektrum website you can track down a email for Paul Beard. He is the one who first developed the Spektrum radio system. As far as Futaba goes I think the FCC information is all you will be able to find.

I am not giving you a hard time here...I am trying to sell one of these radios to myself!
Thanks in advance for your help!
No worries. Hopefully I am making sense to you and others. I wish I had more of the details for you, but I simply do not have that type of info. All I know is that in the real world it works. Last summer they had a heli fun fly in Muncie. 721 paid entries showed up. They only impounded 150 non-SS radios. The rest were SS. They had no issues.

Some more links

Hobby stuff:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/

http://www.2.4gigahertz.com

General info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_spectrum

More technical:

http://cas.et.tudelft.nl/~glas/ssc/techn/techniques.html

Futaba uses a frequency hopping scheme. It randomly changes frequencies 500 times a second.

Spektrum/JR uses a non-hopping scheme which locks two "channels" and uses those to avoid conflicts.

And funny historical note. The actress Heddy Lamar was involved in the original development of SS technology"

http://sss-mag.com/shistory.html

And an added note. A previous post called me to task on my first post about this. I asked for specific reference to what I said that was either incorrect or inaccurate. I would still like the opportunity to address that issue if the person who made the post would let me know what part of my post they took issue with.

Guys,

I'm not an engineer or electronics minded person, just a boater that returned to the hobby a couple years ago and enjoying it. I started off this time with the newest radio gear available (Futaba Fasst system) and after two years of use on many boats and under all conditions, I haven't had even the first bump or glitch.

To go one more step, I leave all the antenna's in the sealed radio box. The stuff works!!

I know several well known racers that are experiencing the same results . Even Ron Zaker Jr. is losing his antenna in "08"

I don't really know what all the worry and techno talk is all about???? The stuff works, install it, and go racin!! ;)

gh

I'm very disappointed with my first FASST experience.

I bought my girlfriend a 3PM FASST for her monster truck, being a loyal Futaba customer who's never had any issues. I installed it last night and went to the local track.

First run - Truck went WOT on the 3rd lap and flipped itself on its lid (fortunately) and stuck there for a few seconds before control resumed. I took the truck off the track and did a range test with my buddy. We had over 200 feet of range, more than enough for this small track. I let my buddy drive it for the next round and he lost control on 5 occasions for a few seconds at a time... All on the FIRST lap. At that point we packed up, extremely frustrated and disappointed (especially being a gift for the girl).

I assumed maybe my rx battery was low (even though it went out freshly charged). I put it on the Accu-Cycle and discharged at 1.6A (1C) to 5.5V. I pulled 931 mAH out of the rx battery, eliminating that as the problem.

I don't even care to have it investigated or "repaired". I've just reached the conclusion that SS technology for r/c is still in beta testing. I'm not running $1000+ models that can do serious damage on an unproven system anymore. I'll put her on 75MHz until Futaba decides to stop cutting corners.

I put it on the Accu-Cycle and discharged at 1.6A (1C) to 5.5V. I pulled 931 mAH out of the rx battery, eliminating that as the problem.
You discharged at 1C = 1.6 amps. This means you had a 1,600 mAh pack, right. And you got 931 mA out of it (not mAh, wrong units there).

You were already at 58% capacity then, which means that your statement that it was a fresh pack is suspect. Based on what you posted it sound very much to me like you went into a low voltage condition due to voltage drop under load. Depending on the type of cells under a 1 amp load you could see in excess of a 1 volt drop under load. I suspect that your set up is drawing a lot of load on the pack and causing this condition.

You discharged at 1C = 1.6 amps. This means you had a 1,600 mAh pack, right. And you got 931 mA out of it (not mAh, wrong units there).
You were already at 58% capacity then, which means that your statement that it was a fresh pack is suspect. Based on what you posted it sound very much to me like you went into a low voltage condition due to voltage drop under load. Depending on the type of cells under a 1 amp load you could see in excess of a 1 volt drop under load. I suspect that your set up is drawing a lot of load on the pack and causing this condition.
Yes, it's a 5 cell 1650mAh Sanyo NiMH battery.

I got 931mA AFTER being used for well over an hour at the track and only discharging to 1.1V/cell at 1C. I'm using analog servos - 1x 3305 & 1x 3010. I doubt those two servos pulled enough current to drop the battery to 3.5V.

I can barely pull two amps on my plane with 5 hitec 5985s.

Furthermore, this particular issue is surfacing with several 3PM systems on other forums.

Yes, it's a 5 cell 1650mAh Sanyo NiMH battery.

I got 931mA AFTER being used for well over an hour at the track and only discharging to 1.1V/cell at 1C. I'm using analog servos - 1x 3305 & 1x 3010. I doubt those two servos pulled enough current to drop the battery to 3.5V.

I can barely pull two amps on my plane with 5 hitec 5985s.

Furthermore, this particular issue is surfacing with several 3PM systems on other forums.
It may or may not apply but check that 3305. I bought 3 of them when they came out, first one was DOA, second one smoked (and I mean up in a puff of smoke) right on the set up board & the last one pulled a ton of current & would cause the failsafe to kick in. I will never use them again, I'll stick with the high end Futaba servos, lesson learned for me. :(

BTW- listed under the 3010 on Tower's website-

This servo can produce high-current draw from your batteries.

If using NiMH or LiPo batteries, make sure they are capable

of delivering approximately 2A for each servo.

and the 3305-

This is the Futaba S3305 High Torque, Metal Gear Servo.

per Futaba this servo is approved for use with NiCd batteries ONLY!

This servo can produce high-current draw from your batteries.

If using NiMH or LiPo batteries, make sure they are capable

of delivering sufficient amps.

Also the 603FF is the single antenna version, perhaps the 603FS dual antenna would be a better choice.

Can you tell me if this happed on the landing of a big jump? If so call futaba and let them know.

Grim

got my FASST system in my cat sofar... didnt keep the antenna in the box as i already have an antenna tube on the lid. Cant wait to try it out on the water :)

549jsn.jpg

Don,

Everything works flawlessly for me on 72 & 75 MHz, even the crappy 3305.

Grim,

This was happening in the pits as well as on the track. I was just idling around the track, since it was my girlfriend's truck and I didn't wanna break it :)

Now I'm on the market for a used 75MHz 3PK. The 2.4 stuff still has a lot more R&D needed before *I* consider it safe to use in heavy, fast and expensive models.

I got 931mA AFTER being used for well over an hour at the track

But your first post said this:

I assumed maybe my rx battery was low (even though it went out freshly charged).
So it was either freshly charged or had been run for an hour. Oh well. Sorry, I am out of ideas. My 3PM FASST works flawlessly in 7 fast boats with no issues on both 603FF and 603FS receivers.

Back