Futaba 7PXR Question - Redundant Receiver?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke Mordja

I am looking to upgrade my radio system from Futaba 3PM with dual receivers (603FS) in my race boats to the new 7PXR.
Since the 614 receivers don't appear to be available and the 603Fs are not compatitibe with 7PXR, what direction can I go to replace my 10 year old 3PM and redundant receivers?

What are racers that have been running redundant systems doing these days?

Thanks in advance.

I did a little searching and noticed that Futaba look to be discontinuing the R614FS receivers likely to make way for the new receivers to be paired with T10PX radio coming out next year. I cannot tell, but I assume the new receivers are T-FHSS. I don't think there is any way to pair two receivers to a single radio on FHSS.

If you really wanted to stick with the twin R603FS receivers I would opt for the 4PX over the 7PX. The only thing you give up is touch screen and GPS telemetry with the 4PX.

So long as you setup the fail safe correctly I would argue the single T-FHSS receivers will be just as reliable as the R603FS's. You can still run twin switches and batteries.

The 4PX does not support all the FASST RXs. I dont think the 4PX can use a 603...

I too can not remember for sure. but my buddy Big has a 4PX and had to update his RXs.. i think.. I know he hung on to an older 3PM so he could still use the 603s and the like that he had...

Grim

Duke, we run two receivers with our 7PX in the twins
I will let you know the number tonight when I get home from work.

If I remember right the 603 came out in 2007... WOW.. we are going on 15 years..LOL.. just does not seem like it.. the change to 2.4 is to me.. the largest advancement in radio boat racing EVER!

IF ANY OF YOU.. are racing those and i know a NUMBER of people that are.. AWESOME!.. TRUST!

Grim

I think.. you can pair two TFHSS RXs but only one can be used for Telemetry.. I will look into it tonight.

Grim

Page 38 in the 7PX manual talks about it.. the question then begs.. as long as they are not T rxs then.. it should work.

Grim

than.. if so this would be one of the two they offer that would work.. need to test this...........

https://futabausa.com/product/r203gf/
I think so but when Mark Bullard did his research he found the R614FS was a better receiver. Might be a dual antenna but it’s been a while and I don’t know for sure. Doc will probably be able to expand on it.
Thanks John

no question about that.. but as we know.. FASST is "just about gone". I was just trying to provide some insight.

Grim

The two RXS that "MIGHT" work are not diversity RXs.. BUT.. if installed with the 400mm antenna.. should work well. (304 type performance to some degree)

Grim

maybe its time to "rethink" radio installs for twins..

I might go this route if so inclined. Fly 3000 dollar helicopters with one RX.. my buddy's fly 18,000 dollar helicopters on one RX..

SO.. if its vibration your worried about.. (below is about the best you can get)

https://www.mcmaster.com/sorbothane/
Grim

maybe its time to "rethink" radio installs for twins..

I might go this route if so inclined. Fly 3000 dollar helicopters with one RX.. my buddy's fly 18,000 dollar helicopters on one RX..

SO.. if its vibration your worried about.. (below is about the best you can get)

https://www.mcmaster.com/sorbothane/
Grim
I fly all my heli’s and giant scale planes on a single receiver but do use redundant batteries. I don’t use any switches in my aircraft, I use shorting plugs and have considered trying them in my boats. Has anyone out there tried shorting plugs in boats?
John

Yes I waited a long time on buying a new system. As the 4PX does not support the R603. I had quite a few of these receivers using on the 4PK. When I bought my 7PX had to go to the R614 for my twin. But I use the R334SBS on everything else. But only one receiver per boat. I time I will maybe just go the the R334SBS in the twin. I have one of those setup in a new Gas Twin.

Back