Futaba 4PM

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WikiWiki1

Supporting Member
So I need to update my radio system for my fleet. I'm looking at the 4PM but I see its backordered on a lot of sites and out of stock at Futaba. The reason I'm changing is due to the lack of receiver availability for my old fasst system (that is working fine by the way). I want to avoid getting into a system that two years down the road components are no longer available and I have to buy another 7 receivers. Anybody have any info on the longevity of the 4PM T-FHSS system?

Thx, Brent

That would probably be a good question for "Mr Futaba", otherwise known as Mike "Grimracer" Zaborowski. If anyone knows what's going on with Futaba, it's Mike

Let me get home and see if I can add to this.. just to say now tho.. your thinking is spot on..there are bunches of fasst rxs out there but at this time.. you would be buying used..

FHSS and in the case of the 4PM TFHSS is very nice.. BUT.. to reiterate it takes a 7pX or more to use GPS...

Anyway.. the 4PM is a great radio and HAS been on the market for around 4 years now.. the idea that a new type of modulation might be coming Is likely not anytime soon.. FHSS 2.4 is here for some time.

I have one and its been ZERO trouble.. ZERO..

Then...
Having said all the above if you can swing it, get a 7PX.. it IS WITHOUT a doubt the best radio I HAVE EVER USED.. the feel of the system is the best I have ever used.

NO WRONG WAY!

Grim

Having said all the above if you can swing it, get a 7PX.. it IS WITHOUT a doubt the best radio I HAVE EVER USED.. the feel of the system is the best I have ever used.

Good stuff, as always Grim, thanks. I have a question about the quote above. Isn't the 7PX "discontinued" in favor of the 10PX? I have a 4PX and have had a v2 GPS sitting BNIB for years because I can't use it. I'm reluctant to get a 7 now since it seems Futaba has moved on. What's the right play here, if you put on your future-looking glasses?

-Joey

Hi Joey,

the 7PXr is still available. Bad to the bone for the money.

Here to me is the real skinny.. I see it this way.
FHSS is here to stay. This keeps many systems for years to come in play.
then.. one has to ask.. what is a realistic owner time for any system. To me that's in the 10 year range. After that point technology's change as well as MFG processes and parts.. so.. OK.. its after that I am willing to update.

The largest thing I have found is that the plastics of the more expensive units have a better chance of getting to that target trouble free.

my 4PM has a few "nitro" stains on the screen but thats about it.. its been operation flawless to this point.

Grim

Thanks for the information Grim. I'm going to nurse my Fasst system out one more summer. I've never had any trouble with it but it is old. I guess it will work till it doesn't (Argh!)

Brent

Latest posts

Back