Fun Junktion IMPBA SAW Event in Elizabeth City, NC March 15-17th

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday was windy but we did our best.

Saturday was the best day, wind was mid to low but we got rain from time to time.

Sunday was a bust. Windy and cold.

Mother nature can be a bitc# at times <_< We have a SAW next weekend here at Legg Lake & I hope she will be nice! :p

Don :)

Wow. What a weekend. Mother Nature gave us a hard time on Friday afternoon, and today was a bust, but Friday morning and Sat off and on throughout the day, gave us a few hours of clean water to work with.

Highlights from the weekend:

- Congrats to Dan Schumbrecht. He set a new IMPBA World Record in N Tunnel using Dan's MiniCat Racing hull. 64.562 mph. Tan Dan and Big Red Ben made sure FE was well represented at the event.

- Congrats to Jerry Crowther on his record pace one way fast pass in his Seaducer F Mono. Unfortunately the wind kept him at bay and prevented him from backing it up.

- Kently Porter was kind enough to let Scott Liddycoat, Jerry Crowther, and I use his NovaRossi 46 DD powered K-ZAM 40 Hydro, and challenged us to break 100 mph. Scott Liddycoat won the challenge and earned his 110 mph Hydro Patch by going just over 111 mph. I came in second and earned my 100mph patch by exceeding 103 mph. Jerry Crowther came in third at just over 97 mph.

What can you say about the NovaRossi engines??? They are ballistic. The windy conditions gave a few of us the opportunity to work on other projects for future races. We also had a surprise visit from Dick Tyndall on Saturday. He wanted to make sure Virginia Craftsman was well represented at the event!!! We welcomed a new IMPBA Member, Stan Harrington, who drove up to test a couple of his new boats built by Dick Loeb. He has switched from very successfully racing 1/4 scale gas cars to RC Boats. Scott Liddycoat tested race setup on his new NovaRosi 46 DD powered 40 Hydro. I mounted a new NovaRossi 46 OB powerhead on an extra Leecraft 40 Tunnel for testing. All I can say is WOW!!!! The power these engines deliver is way beyond any engines I have tested to date. The records by Kentley Porter and Scott Liddycoat using NR power in several different classes at this site, speak volumes about the engines and the support Glenn Quarles of NovaRossi US provides to his customers. This will be the perfect setup for a new VANS Racing 40 Tunnel I will be building for the 2013 race season.

I wanted to thank everyone that came for their help as the weekend would not have been possible without them. Extra thanks go out to:

-The ODMBA Club for supplying the retrieve boat and to Dick Loeb for bringing it to the event, and for his countless hours of running the retrieve boat throughout the event to make sure everyone had a great time. Also thanks to Donnie Padgett for providing the gas outboard motor. It saw a lot of use as a result of the high winds.

-The Fun Junction Park crew, John and John, for their hospitality, keeping the park and facilities clean, and for helping us manage the visitors.

-John Finch for bringing the timing equipment on Friday. I also thank him for his expertise in setting up the timing equipment and teaching me how the system works, so I could assist with setup on Sat and Sunday and know how to troubleshoot in case there was a malfunction.

-Kentley Porter for his assistance and guidance throughout the SAW event weekend, for tweaking my new twin hydro, for his expert knowledge on setup of the the NovaRossi engines and help with the new NR 46 OB, and for allowing me to watch over his shoulder and ask questions. Spend the day with KP and you will quickly realize why his shop walls are wallpapered with records. He also provided a couple of excellent restaurant choices for Sheila and I.

-Scott Liddycoat for his help running the clock and helping start and launch my boats during testing.

-I also want to make sure I send a special thanks to Sheila, for helping make sure we were all fed on Friday and Saturday, and for being such a trooper all weekend. She is a very special lady!!!!!.... ;)

Stay tuned for the IMPBA OVALS next month in Franklin, VA from CD, KP. Details should be listed in the March Roostertail!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice report Ron. Sorry the weather sucked.

Congrats to Danny and KP on bumping up the N-Tunnel record. Super job! Danny, It's time for the old N2 Tunnel 1/3 oval record to go bye, bye.

We'll see you all in Franklin next month!! I'll be bringing another first time FE club member to go for some records.

Ron,

You guys did good job. The chilly was good too! :p I enjoyed seeing the guys after a short winter and telling lots of lie, I mean stories, LOL Looking forward to the ovals.

John

Just wanted to say i had a great time this past weekend, between the food and fellowship it just doesn't get any better. I am thankful for the opportunity to met so many talented people that are willing to help and share there knowledge. Even though i had to set on a extra piece of foam on the way home (dick chewing on my butt) i would go back without hesitation. Just kidding Dick, i appreciate your advice and look forward to our trip to Atlanta. Until then it looks like the boats will be in the water 3 to 4 days this week.

I had a great time it definatly got the racing juices flowing!

Thanks Kentley and Novarossi for making it possible for me to get into the 110mph club!! I wish everyone could have a chance to drive a RC boat that fast..... Very cool!

Stay tuned for the Fun Junction IMPBA OVALS next month from CD, KP. Details should be listed in the March Roostertail!!!!
We need to clarify. Is ovals going to be at E. City or Franklin, VA? Thanks!!

My apologies Chilli. Great catch. The OVALS will be held in Franklin, NC. More details in this month's Roostertail on the IMPBA Website. I will edit my original post. Thanks... :)

Congrats to team Diegoboy/KP, Jerry, Scott and Leecraft Ron on the 103 mph pass!!!

-Kent

Update. Kentley just confirmed with Smock that Dan Schumbrecht's second SAW record run is now official, so his record will stand on it's own. Dan and Kentley teamed up initially to set the record, and in true KP fashion, he later gave Dan the opportunity to make a couple of changes and try again. Dan's first pass was on record pace, but his second pass was not within 10% of the speed of the second run. Before we made it official, we wanted to verify the new variance rule of 15% was in place. Smock verified, so Dan's record stands. Let's congratulate Dan on his new N Tunnel record of 64.562 mph.

Congrats to team Diegoboy/KP, Jerry, Scott and Leecraft Ron on the 103 mph pass!!!

-Kent
Thanks Kent. Hair was in my eyes or I would have smoked Liddycoat!!!!.... :D ....hahaha

Congrats guys! I really enjoyed everyone's company. Ron, thank Shiela for us again and thanks for taking over as the CD for this event. It's nice to see Kentley get a little break. I doubt the same will be said for the ovals coming up. See you guys then! It sounds like a lot of us will be there!

Lookout Doug, we'll probably send you paperwork in abridged volumes. :lol:

Ben,

Thanks for the nice message. I enjoyed helping Kentley as, like you said, he has done this so many times for everyone else that hopefully I was able to give him a little break. Sheila says thanks as well. I think she had as good of a time meeting and hanging with everyone as I did... ;) She also loves to cook.

See ya at the Ovals!!!

Back