IMPBA SAW record trials in North Carolina

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to Carl and he said the antenna in the radio box was the only workable length. He said the antenna above and outside the boat is choked by the carbon. Choked being an electrical term. Makes sense. You always lost control on buoy5 and six so to speak, and thats when the antenna in the boat is pointing straight at you laid down in the boat. I tried many times years ago to hide the antenna inside the boat only to have the same loss of radio in the right hand turn at buoys 4.5.6.

Don, you gave a lot of thanks out to the guys who helped, but you pulled it all together and I know the Advil will be kicking in soon, so come by and drop off all the boat stuff. You can keep the nets though. PLEASE good buddy.
There must be something else going on with Don's radio. All my boats are CF includin mono which have CF lid and absolutely no radio interference.

I talked to Carl and he said the antenna in the radio box was the only workable length. He said the antenna above and outside the boat is choked by the carbon. Choked being an electrical term. Makes sense. You always lost control on buoy5 and six so to speak, and thats when the antenna in the boat is pointing straight at you laid down in the boat. I tried many times years ago to hide the antenna inside the boat only to have the same loss of radio in the right hand turn at buoys 4.5.6.

Don, you gave a lot of thanks out to the guys who helped, but you pulled it all together and I know the Advil will be kicking in soon, so come by and drop off all the boat stuff. You can keep the nets though. PLEASE good buddy.
There must be something else going on with Don's radio. All my boats are CF includin mono which have CF lid and absolutely no radio interference.
What type antenna are you using? Maybe Don needs to send his radio to Futaba?

As soon as the carbon lid was removed the full range returned. We range tested the radio to the point that I couldn't even see the boat anymore but the person watching the boat said it never stopped working or glitched. The boat was then fine on the water as well until the rather thin (it was all we had to work with) plastic lid I used to replace the carbon one would not hold a good tape seal & allowed water in the box on my runs Sunday afternoon. I typically send my radio gear to Futaba Service Center in the off season for checking & fine tuning & this year will be no exception. I will mark that TX & ask them to check it for any range issues. :ph34r:

And BTW- on Sunday while I was waiting for the water to lay down I ran my twin to test the extra curve added to the turn fin. Same radio, same receiver type (PCM) & same antennas (Deans #1106 non loaded boat antenna) & the boat ran just fine with zero range issues but no carbon radio box lids. B)

Now I will add that I'm suspect of the unshielded part at the antenna base where it turns to pass thru the rubber grommet. This exposed metal part was no more than 1/16" away from the carbon lid & perhaps this is an issue? I guess I'll see what Futaba says when they check that particular transmitter. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a good time watching these dedicated IMPBA members take their shots at the SAW records. Watching the SG hydros go over 100+MPH was awesome to see. I learned a lot watching these guys getting after the records the were trying to reach. I really thought it was intresting when push came to shove and they started thinking outside the box to over come the heat / cooling issues in the cold weather in order to get the engines to make enough heat to produce the power required, some rather interesting soultions came about and the really neat part of it all was that most of the odd ideas worked as the boat or boats got faster with each modification. I really felt if both John and Don had a little more time and also not run out of the fuel they both would have obtained their marks. I learned a lot about gas fuel mixtures and oils helping Steve Speas with the gas cat boat and this was really interesting with each step that was taken and the results of the experiments as they related to both the boat / props / and cold weather. Who says you can't teach and old dog new tricks? The G.M.B.A of District 12 IMPBA put on a good and informative show this last weekend. Congradulations to John Finch for getting over the 110 MPH mark and reaching to the next level, and also to Steve Speas for getting to the 65 mph mark with that big big gas cat boat that he runs in heat racing events in District 12. I look forward to getting back to see the record trails next year!!!

As soon as the carbon lid was removed the full range returned. We range tested the radio to the point that I couldn't even see the boat anymore but the person watching the boat said it never stopped working or glitched. The boat was then fine on the water as well until the rather thin (it was all we had to work with) plastic lid I used to replace the carbon one would not hold a good tape seal & allowed water in the box on my runs Sunday afternoon. I typically send my radio gear to Futaba Service Center in the off season for checking & fine tuning & this year will be no exception. I will mark that TX & ask them to check it for any range issues. :ph34r:

And BTW- on Sunday while I was waiting for the water to lay down I ran my twin to test the extra curve added to the turn fin. Same radio, same receiver type (PCM) & same antennas (Deans #1106 non loaded boat antenna) & the boat ran just fine with zero range issues but no carbon radio box lids. B)

Now I will add that I'm suspect of the unshielded part at the antenna base where it turns to pass thru the rubber grommet. This exposed metal part was no more than 1/16" away from the carbon lid & perhaps this is an issue? I guess I'll see what Futaba says when they check that particular transmitter. :blink:
That might be it, I use the "plastic tube that holds the antenna wire" type and have no problems with my CF boats.

Congrats on a great weekend, gonna have to come down and visit you guys and your great site. :)

Congrats on a great weekend, gonna have to come down and visit you guys and your great site. :)
I would call it a good weekend but not great. A great weekend would have been not spending 5 hours on Saturday morning getting the timing equipment fixed, a little less wind, a little more air temp., not running out of nitro to mix & setting two new records. Not asking for much am I? :)

No matter though as the BEST part was hanging out with really good friends who are at least as wacked out as I am. :D

And we did have alot fun at dinner Saturday night, it's amazing how good the drinks get when you flirt a little with the cute bartender. I even got her to show a tatoo that resided just above her butt that said "bad influence". There is no safe place when you run with this crowd. :p

I would call it a good weekend but not great. A great weekend would have been not spending 5 hours on Saturday morning getting the timing equipment fixed, a little less wind, a little more air temp., not running out of nitro to mix & setting two new records. Not asking for much am I? :)

No matter though as the BEST part was hanging out with really good friends who are at least as wacked out as I am. :D

And we did have alot fun at dinner Saturday night, it's amazing how good the drinks get when you flirt a little with the cute bartender. I even got her to show a tatoo that resided just above her butt that said "bad influence". There is no safe place when you run with this crowd. :p
Hey Don any time we can all get together and learn the things we did this last weekend I would say it was a great weekend. We could have had a fantastic weekend if three records could have been set, but I would say look at the positive information learned from running in the cold weather conditions that allowed us to gain knowledge on how to deal with this problem next time!!!! It was good to see Dick and Prisicalla come by as I had seen them for awhile and enjoyed talking with them. It was also fun seeing everyone coming up with ideas no matter how far outside the box they may have been in dealing with the cold weather for getting heat into the engine for power. Some of the far out ones really worked well.

Hy Don,

I think like Mr. Orlic, I'm still using carbon fiber boat since 1992 and no any problems.

my idea is that your radio receiver has a problem not simple to reproduce in static conditions from you or in Futaba laboratory.

Question:

how much distance is between you antenna cable and the carbon plate ("nearly the hole where go out of the radio box").

Bye

Fabrizio

Hy Don,

I think like Mr. Orlic, I'm still using carbon fiber boat since 1992 and no any problems.

my idea is that your radio receiver has a problem not simple to reproduce in static conditions from you or in Futaba laboratory.

Question:

how much distance is between you antenna cable and the carbon plate ("nearly the hole where go out of the radio box").

Bye

Fabrizio
Hi Fabrizio!

That's just it, the antenna passed through a hole in the carbon lid. Like I said earlier, as soon as we removed the carbon lid I had all the radio range back. If it were a range problem with the transmitter it should have also acted up when I ran the twin (same radio) & it did not. :blink:

Don

Carbon firber And a loaded ant. does'nt go together that is your problem.

Dave Roach
Dave please read it again, it is the NON loaded Dean's #1106 boat antenna. I have been using these antennas for over 8 years without any issues but this is first time on a carbon fiber lid. However for anyone who is familar with them the transition from wire to the screw base is a small unshielded flat piece of metal that winds up very close to the carbon box lid.

Don

Dave Roach
Dave please read it again, it is the NON loaded Dean's #1106 boat antenna. I have been using these antennas for over 8 years without any issues but this is first time on a carbon fiber lid. However for anyone who is familar with them the transition from wire to the screw base is a small unshielded flat piece of metal that winds up very close to the carbon box lid.
Hey whats the deal NO TWIN Speeds recorded ????

HG

Don

Dave Roach
Hey whats the deal NO TWIN Speeds recorded ????

HG
Hey Harry I only tossed the twin in once to test a deeper curved turn fin on my heat race set up while waiting for record run water. I did run deep enough a few times to trip the sensors at over 85 with the needles fat & the pipes long. B)

I use the antena that comes on receiver and plastis tube. Anthena wire even touches CF and makes no difference. CF acts as a shild but since 90%of my anthena is sticking out it works fine. I think radios can get out of tune and need to be checked once in a while (something I do not do but no problems yet). I have noticed farther I go from original frequency radio's range suffers. Since I know nothing aboout this stuff I can't explain it either.

Also, it is interesting that shilding ability of CF changes with orientation of the strands.

Hey Don, sorry you guys had to work on the timing equipment...it is hard enough to get all of the moons and stars lined up to set records without having to waste 5 hours working on the clocks. Sounds like you had a great event anyway. I was really trying to make it over to run with you guys, but just too busy to get away. If you could give me a call (830) 779-1776 or pm and tell me the details of the clock problems I will see they get the proper attention. If you haven't sent them back yet hold on until after we talk...they may need to go to Huntsville.

Would love to see some of you guys come down to Speed Week if you can make it.

Glenn

Hey Don, sorry you guys had to work on the timing equipment...it is hard enough to get all of the moons and stars lined up to set records without having to waste 5 hours working on the clocks. Sounds like you had a great event anyway. I was really trying to make it over to run with you guys, but just too busy to get away. If you could give me a call (830) 779-1776 or pm and tell me the details of the clock problems I will see they get the proper attention. If you haven't sent them back yet hold on until after we talk...they may need to go to Huntsville.

Would love to see some of you guys come down to Speed Week if you can make it.

Glenn
I will call you tonight. :)

Hy Don,

Question:

Bye

Fabrizio
Hi Fabrizio!

That's just it, the antenna passed through a hole in the carbon lid. Like I said earlier, as soon as we removed the carbon lid I had all the radio range back. If it were a range problem with the transmitter it should have also acted up when I ran the twin (same radio) & it did not. :blink:

Don

If the cable of your antenna stay very close with carbon fiber this work like a electrical capacity put in parallel on you antenna. If you increase, an example with a plastic tube, the distance from carbon fiber and your antenna wire, probably you'll solve the problem.

If you have test your radio controll on your twin and it works ok, the radio controll is Ok.

Bye

Fabrizio

Latest posts

Back