Fuel question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the 100 octane aviation gas, mainly because of the low gas smell, I just don't like the smell they add to automotive gas, so transporting doesn't stink up the vehicle or trailer.

Thanks, John

guys why waste the time and effort buying av-gas / 100LL or even the high price colemen fuel.

go to a local lawn mower shop that sells non-ethanol gas its 90 octane it just right

for our so called high compression engines it has the right lead and lube.

and its only 5 a gallon.

just my thoughts

Greg

guys why waste the time and effort buying av-gas / 100LL or even the high price colemen fuel.

go to a local lawn mower shop that sells non-ethanol gas its 90 octane it just right

for our so called high compression engines it has the right lead and lube.

and its only 5 a gallon.

just my thoughts

Greg
So it still smells like gasoline or is it oder free like Colman?

My 2 cents on all of this. The engines were designed to run on 87 unleaded Octane gas so they really shouldn't need racing or aircraft fuel. Do you run premium gas in your car when all it needs is 87?

It isn't about the octane it is that it doesn't stink the high heavens, it doesn't have ethanol, it is always exactly the same, it has lead which is a great lubricant that doesn't hurt a thing and best of all the stuff is filtered and clean not like the crap that comes out of a gas station pump.

There is nothing at any price that runs any better and is as easy to get as 100LL is in most area's of the country and it isn't expensive either.

I have run 20 different fuels from Colemans to 93 to 116 and nothing runs any better than 100LL does.

For me it is the only answer and just makes perfect sense.

The 90 octane non ethanol fuel stinks pretty bad also. 100LL has an odor but not the rotten stinking stench of pump gas.

It doesn't hurt that the girl that rings you up is a smokin' hot sweetie besides.

I run it in everything. It stays fresh for months in the sealed steel cans stored high off the ground.

The lawnmower, edger, pressure cleaner, generator, weed eater, blower, hedge trimmer it all gets 100LL and they start every time and never have carb issues.

They all get the best oil at same ratio's I use in my boats in the two strokes I run 10 oz to the gallon of a 50/50 mix of Maxima 927 and Klotz Supertechniplate or R50 synthetic. Then the Four strokes get 2 oz per gallon of the synthetic in their fuel also. They run like champs and no I have never fouled a plug.

100LLAviationFuel07012014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
it has lead which is a great lubricant that doesn't hurt a thing
default_blink.png

tetraethyl lead isn't a lubricant. especially not compared to the 8-10 oz. of oil you're dumping in there. TEL is a potent octane booster (which these little engines don't need) and it helped prolong valve seat life by preventing microwelds from forming between the valve and non-hardened valve seat. There is literally no reason to run leaded gas in anything that doesn't specifically call for it, especially in an engine which doesn't even have valves.

Plus, I don't think something which is a well-known neurotoxin can be said to "not hurt a thing."

Most every one of the race fuels specifically designed for 2 stroke racing engines have lead in them. Certainly it is for a reason and it isn't just to boost the octane. Lead absolutely has lubricating and/or other qualities that benefit two stroke engines. They could have easily made it unleaded 100 octane.

I think we all know the valve seat story on the old four stroke needing the lead before they had the kind of valve seats that didn't need it.

With all the airplanes running leaded fuel and all the racing done with leaded race fuels I do not think a single cylinder 29.5cc that burns 1/2 gallon a week is very much.

Twostrokefuel.png

TwoStrokeleadedracefuel.png

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as power goes, there really isn't any difference in a modified Zenoah between Coleman fuel and race gas or even 92 octane ethanol containing premium gasoline with 15% nitromethane added. Higher compression engines like Quickdraws can benefit from higher octane and oxygenated racing gasolines. Below are some dyno results on an M&D engine. The problem in Zenoahs is that the compression ratio is limited, the ignition timing is fixed, and, most important, the pipe is tuned for gasoline temperatures.

Lohring Miller

Nitro Tests.JPG

High octane gas and long flame propagation can increase exhaust temp.. To the point the flame exits the port.. waited energy turned into very high EGTs..

Lohring has it...

Grim

As far as power goes, there really isn't any difference in a modified Zenoah between Coleman fuel and race gas or even 92 octane ethanol containing premium gasoline with 15% nitromethane added. Higher compression engines like Quickdraws can benefit from higher octane and oxygenated racing gasolines. Below are some dyno results on an M&D engine. The problem in Zenoahs is that the compression ratio is limited, the ignition timing is fixed, and, most important, the pipe is tuned for gasoline temperatures.

Lohring Miller
Bingo.

I ran 100 ll to day got a 65 mph out the corner on my backlash with a 26 cc full mod motor then switched to coleman and got 66 out of the same corner .So it don't seam to make much of a diff in speed.

On the other hand in a Quickdraw, we were running consistent laps with the end of straight-a-way speeds in the 80s on U-2 but the speeds dropped into the 70s on 87 octane pump gas after a few laps. We blamed detonation caused overheating. There's a big difference in compression ratio between a Quickdraw and a modified Zenoah.

Lohring Miller

I see all these posts about ethanol free gas being available. I haven't seen it in the Seattle area at all and only at a few places on my recent road trip in the Ozarks. When I did find it, it was anywhere from .20 to .40 higher per gallon than the ethanol blended gas. For those that race in mutiple areas, tuning an engine to use nonblended fuel could become a problem if the race being attended is in an area that only has blended gas, unless you plan on taking along fuel enough for the entire event.

I see all these posts about ethanol free gas being available. I haven't seen it in the Seattle area at all and only at a few places on my recent road trip in the Ozarks. When I did find it, it was anywhere from .20 to .40 higher per gallon than the ethanol blended gas. For those that race in mutiple areas, tuning an engine to use nonblended fuel could become a problem if the race being attended is in an area that only has blended gas, unless you plan on taking along fuel enough for the entire event.
The fuel is called REC 90 , do a search in your area you will find it . Also 100LL available at airports . Buy 5 gallons and run it in all your small gas engines if you have them and carbs will be happy .

Mr Thomas, airplane fuel is just that, fuel for airplanes. And Mr Jim you are correct. The fuel I am referring to is not pump gas, but blended race fuel from a manufacturer in a sealed container. I am not trying to cause a debate only pass on what I have learned from 20 plus years of racing fuel and conventional "pump gas" . I have been in contact with manufacturers and been in lab tests to see the difference.
What happens to octane rateing when oil is mixed in. I thought avgas over 100ll is made for supercharged 4cy and has lead and other additives to protect valves and seats

Back