found my frist boat i owned in a box!/ what was your first boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was a Dumas sport 20 Pay'N Pak with an HB .20.

Boat was, just like someone else's , overweight, underpowered and slow. Ended up wrecking it and used the hardware to put a Dumas sport 40 Atlas "Blue Blaster" on the water. Results were about the same, even using a K&B 45
default_unsure.png

The latest sport boat, based on the 20 Pak, ended up being almost 3 lbs lighter, guess that says I've learned something

Last edited by a moderator:
first boat? prather lap cat 2 with a 7.5 red head pro. way overpowered and mastered the art of blowing all of the water out of the motor after some spectacular blowovers. bought a b/m leecraft 460 and it was the best move I did . now maybe 10 to 12 boats on the rack and maybe more if the wife doesn't find out

f9551ca70abf5e9f74a4f7ddf322b466.jpg

Dumas Deep Vee 20 around 1983. I think I put a .10 or .15 engine with a Futaba single stick with the throttle switch on the back of the radio. I remember my dad yelling at me for spending what he perceived as too much money for the radio.

First race boat was Prather Lap Cat with a K&B 3.5. I still have it to this day some 30 years later LOL. I built many a Dumas kit prior to that and ran Cox .049's in them. Also built a twin engine Air boat.

Dumas Sport 40 with a K&B .45 exhaust throttle. I was fortunate enough to win the first race I entered and placed in the next two races in 1989. I was hooked after that.
326b109bb8f90395ce841493d4179992.jpg

I still own 2 of those wheel radios. It was the first wheel radio on the market. I remember having to save up 125$ for one when I was 13 yrs old. Put it in my Tamiya SuperChamp and started racing.

My first boat in 1976 was a Norco Eaglet powered by an OPS 3.5 and a 3280 pipe. High tech at the time.

204983_213004985376650_3112805_o.jpg

lol....im a pup too....but u guys r old...lol.....some nice looking boats guys....cool that u guys still have pics of thoes old boats... keep them comeing

Wasnt a tunnel , but a BBY Racing Oval Master 26 - N1 Boat. Waaaay before lipo and brushless - lol . 6 cell NM- brushed motor
default_rolleyes.gif

have to dig up a pic, I have one somewhere. Got it from Wilmer aka Hollywood out in Cali , first race was SAWS it Blue Lake Ga, at the time - N/2 was a whopping 28mph - I quit chasing Wilmer after 36 mph as I knew I was done =
default_laugh.png

Here ya go -

335b675.jpg

Just prior to the start of the 1970 Rand-Daily-Mail 2-Hour Endurance Championship Race on Boksburg Lake, South Africa. Yours truly with my home built deep-V, powered by a Hirtenberger .61 and controlled by a KRAFT radio. (I seem to remember this radio was made in the USA). This hull was my very first boat and it started life almost two years earlier in 1968 as a scale cabin cruiser I built from plans in the British MODEL BOATS magazine, complete with real cloth curtains in the windows and an OS.19 down below! And I was a mere 26 years young!!! (See the photo below)

1970-RDM.jpg

Just prior to the start of the 1970 Rand-Daily-Mail 2-Hour Endurance Championship Race on Boksburg Lake, South Africa. Yours truly with my home built deep-V, powered by a Hirtenberger .61 and controlled by a KRAFT radio. (I seem to remember this radio was made in the USA). This hull was my very first boat and it started life almost two years earlier in 1968 as a scale cabin cruiser I built from plans in the British MODEL BOATS magazine, complete with real cloth curtains in the windows and an OS.19 down below! And I was a mere 26 years young!!! (See the photo below)
KQQL pic, you could have passed for David Bowie back then.
default_biggrin.png

First boat was an Octura's Tom's Cat with K&B 13mm black carb. Built many Dumas Hot Shot IV's. Then made the move over to glass type boats: International Hobbies Torch and then over to a Steve Muck Lil' Lighting. Too many other boats since then to list.

First R/C model boat - 1965 - 50 years ago!! It was an original design 28" ski boat, constructed from balsa wood, powered by a Veco 19 airplane engine, and controlled by a Kraft reed radio system. To soak up water that got into the radio box, I used pieces of sponge. It was given the nick name "The Flying Sponge."
default_rolleyes.gif

I could be wrong, but I doubt there's anyone else on IW who has been running R/C boat for 50 years.

JD

Back