foam for boats ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertWurster

I have been searching for foam all over and just stumped .I'm going to be building a wood boat and want to use w o f for the build but not sure what to use. Can you guys help me out with what you use and where you get it ? I want to be able to cur and sand it to shape .Thank you .Robert.

use insul-board.... ..its off white in color(r-tech)

and is easy to sand pink or blue insul-board isnt (wants to melt when sanded)

home depot or even a construction site...ask for scraps

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Robert,

Dow Chemical Styrofoam - blue in color. You can buy it from insulation contractors, and is usually available in different thicknesses. I usually buy 3" thick material in 4' X 8' sheets because that is the max width my band saw will cut.

I have never had a problem sanding it using a belt sander or sandpaper on a wood block. I like 30 and 60 grit hardwood floor sand paper (black in color and comes on rolls). I carve it with a Xacto whittler's blade. CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks guys great info. Will try to get some from home depo .Or a guy I know dose houses so maby he can get me some .

081999246419.jpgTimer.pngFound this at lowes its 1 1/2 dow Styrofoam.11.80 for a 4/8 sheet. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back