Florida Tunnel Boat Mutiny!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As has already been stated one of the main components in this is FUN. Some of the GAS classes that were supposed to be fun have turned into rule changing arguments that have left racers wondering if what they own will be legal next year or even next month. If a class (such as Sport 45) is created then leave the rules alone so the class can take hold and grow. Keep some racing options open. For example, if 2 OB monos and 2 Mod V's showed up, let them race together and have some fun. NAMBA rules leave much of the format up to the CD.

Changing up the format from one event to another would make it fun too. If everyone knows what the format is going in then that means everyone is playing by the same rules and has the same set of challenges. I would even like to see some Lemans starts

Last edited by a moderator:
As has already been stated one of the main components in this is FUN. Some of the GAS classes that were supposed to be fun have turned into rule changing arguments that have left racers wondering if what they own will be legal next year or even next month. If a class (such as Sport 45) is created then leave the rules alone so the class can take hold and grow. Keep some racing options open. For example, if 2 OB monos and 2 Mod V's showed up, let them race together and have some fun. NAMBA rules leave much of the format up to the CD.

Changing up the format from one event to another would make it fun too. If everyone knows what the format is going in then that means everyone is playing by the same rules and has the same set of challenges. I would even like to see some Lemans starts
YEAH, NOW THATS THE TICKET.......LeMans Starts..... :)

When the first race? count me in 2 ,3,even 4day events i,ll fly over for tunnels .

shane

This is the discussion I was talking about...

This sounds like a great time to me, please let me know if I can do anything to help. I have always been a tunnel guy at heart and will do anything to further MY hobby.

~James

This is the discussion I was talking about...

This sounds like a great time to me, please let me know if I can do anything to help. I have always been a tunnel guy at heart and will do anything to further MY hobby.

~James

This is a great idea and very good excuse to get all the RUM drinkers with a tunnel problem together. But on a serious note this is a GREAT idea, however careful consideration should be given to the choosing of dates for such an event as you should want to spread them apart a little giving people enough chance to re-group themselves and equipment especially for those who race a bunch of other races outside of the tunnel arena.

Just my two cents......

Terry Trott

Bermuda

I love it guys!! Anyone that knows me knows I am a tunnel addict. I have 18 tunnels in the trailer ready to run. My gas, twin and F tunnels collect too much dust all year. Guess if this gets going I'll have to retire ahead of schedule and move in with the Atwells! How bout it Tony and Mitch, you got room for a 34 foot RV at your house? Beasley :)

Terry brings up a good point on race dates being important. Will it take a 2-day event to get the "Rummies" over here? We have some "tunnel fanatics" that would come if we had to run the boats upside down and backwards. Keep up the input guys as we can surely run a race with "Florida guys only" but hope to expand on that base. Where are those Atwells? Maybe Mitch can come up with a northern race site for us.

Mic

I love it guys!! Anyone that knows me knows I am a tunnel addict. I have 18 tunnels in the trailer ready to run. My gas, twin and F tunnels collect too much dust all year. Guess if this gets going I'll have to retire ahead of schedule and move in with the Atwells! How bout it Tony and Mitch, you got room for a 34 foot RV at your house? Beasley :)
James I'm sure they'd find you a spot somewhere. I mean after all there is an extra bedroom available now that I've moved out to college. lol :unsure:

~Mitch Jr.

Terry brings up a good point on race dates being important. Will it take a 2-day event to get the "Rummies" over here? We have some "tunnel fanatics" that would come if we had to run the boats upside down and backwards. Keep up the input guys as we can surely run a race with "Florida guys only" but hope to expand on that base. Where are those Atwells? Maybe Mitch can come up with a northern race site for us.

Mic
Mic,

I talked to Mitch last night, and I asked him the same thing, site in the J'ville area. Our "old" site was a short course (8 lap) The infamous Phillips Industrial Park site off US 1. I guess they have a Westside site off 103rd st they play on.

Eric Canto is in Gainesville, I wonder if there are ponds available in Gator Country, that centralizes it a little, but we still have our options open here. What is the status of the Ackerman Park (Fruitville Rd) old race site at Sarasota?

Does your pond there in N. Ft.Myers have raceability.

RP

JR. Guess the Godfather is trying to steal you away from dad. :D

Randy,

Not sure whats availiable in the Sarasota area but the pond we test on here would be hard to get insured as it has an open access. I do like the idea of a northern site making it easier for our bordering friends to visit. Since the district meeting is on Sat eve after the heats are there going to be any tunnel heads around on Friday evening for a little pow wow? I can get in on Fri afternoon if needed.

Mic

Randy,

Not sure whats availiable in the Sarasota area but the pond we test on here would be hard to get insured as it has an open access. I do like the idea of a northern site making it easier for our bordering friends to visit. Since the district meeting is on Sat eve after the heats are there going to be any tunnel heads around on Friday evening for a little pow wow? I can get in on Fri afternoon if needed.

Mic
I may be thrashing with the CD thing, but with Gabe, Don and JK as well as all of us, its possible to work on it. I do not know if the meetings agenda has the setting of D3 schedule in it, most likely Don Riek will chime in on this once he reads it, 2010 will most likely be repeat of 09, with a couple of things I will talk to you about privately. We have the civic hall at the South end of the lake for the meeting Saturday night.

We will talk with Atwells further to discuss J'Ville possibilities, and Rick Crocker and Whiddon are racing, so Babson Park (Lake Wales)is a possible site.

RP

Randy,

Mic
I may be thrashing with the CD thing, but with Gabe, Don and JK as well as all of us, its possible to work on it. I do not know if the meetings agenda has the setting of D3 schedule in it, most likely Don Riek will chime in on this once he reads it, 2010 will most likely be repeat of 09, with a couple of things I will talk to you about privately. We have the civic hall at the South end of the lake for the meeting Saturday night.

We will talk with Atwells further to discuss J'Ville possibilities, and Rick Crocker and Whiddon are racing, so Babson Park (Lake Wales)is a possible site.

RP
Randy,

I will be most happy to talk over the potential series with you guys. The ones that created the World Tunnel Championships will be there at the race. I have some ideas to throw out for your group to consider to get it started.

John

We all surely appreciate any input from the CMB club members who have taken OB racing to a national and world level. I think the Florida group can compliment and hopefully advance your efforts. See you all at the Brandon pond and hope we can set some time away from the event to get our act together.

Mic

An update here as ideas keep flowing and more options are surfacing. At the Brandon site Friday after testing some of the local TBM had a powow with the Charleston group. John Knight suggested we consider a "OB Tunnel Masters" type series with a best 3 out of 4 scores from races including the Charleston Worlds, a TBM Brandon race and possibly Savanah? or even Jacksonville in the mix. What we envision is clubs hosting races at their site with STRA? members doing the work. Some revenue share in order for both to benefit. Would not be opposed to any other Florida, Georgia and Carolinas clubs getting involved. Up to the OB guys in any area to promote. Looking for a few select events over a season we can all bring our "A" game to and enjoy racing. Nothing written in stone yet so nows the time to voice your opinions and we need to all step up and make things happen. Be proactive.

Hope we can use our nice weather winter months to entice participation. Rather than stock or sport I am just using superstock as a term as internal mods are ok. Here is an overview of classes we might try, and what is on the table so far.

21 Mod Tunnel

21 Super Stock replcing NAMBA & IMPBA rule differences (keep it simple)

45 Mod Tunnel NAMBA-B / IMPBA-D

45 Superstock - Charleston can muffler rules

Gas Tunnel

Mod VP - Mod VP tunnel-v or OB vee bottom run together Superstock motor

Open Tunnel - hopefully .47 and larger so as not to repeat .45 tunnel

OB Hydro - lets see what surfaces

OB Kneeler / per Dunlap influence we'll plant the seed see what happens.

FE Spec Tunnel? cells?

FE Open Tunnel

Positive dicussions on Tri-Oval and some smaller radius turns making a drivers course that could change per site logistics. This would allow clubs without a permanent course and site adapt a challenging race course to a one time site. Small turns minimal bouys.

5 heats till we grow out of race days. Right now a local race might be 8-12 rounds for all classes making a 40-60 heat day.

Charleston started out small and blew up in a couple short years.

A two lap timming day is on the burner. (standard oval) Format suggestion being a line up order of entries. Instead of 4 minutes you get 2-3 laps to warm up and the next 2 your on the clock. 3 watches taking the middle throwing out high and low. Your class time goes on the board till someone knocks you off. One contest official timmer and the other two watches manned by the guy who just finnished and the next in line who both will be in the pits, Yes we will need a volunteer to start the progression. Fee's will be say a dollar a run and a dollar more if we have to retrieve, hopefully speeding up the program. No officila time if you are retrieved. End of the day you have the fastest man on the water bragging rights. Can be used as fun fund raiser and official individual course record established where permanent sub bouys exist. This also could include all classes besides OB's.

This is all still up for discussion but ideas seem to be moving forward. As our district race schedule has priority when its published we are going to set forth to get a clubs blessings on a some dates. Maybe at the Tampa WCRA one day we can meet up on Saturday before racing on Sunday? who's up for that?

Thanks for your attention.

Mic

Mic,

I would think we would need to add in classes for:

FE tunnel - possibly 8 cell limit

Open FE tunnel

Need to foster the FE tunnel development. There is growing interest even with the loss of Herb Sewart.

John

Thanks John you are very correct. My oversight as there is a lot on the table and we need everyones input now as we will make some errors that will need to be tuned up later. Edited previous post

Mic

Mic
Mic,

I talked to Mitch last night, and I asked him the same thing, site in the J'ville area. Our "old" site was a short course (8 lap) The infamous Phillips Industrial Park site off US 1. I guess they have a Westside site off 103rd st they play on.

Eric Canto is in Gainesville, I wonder if there are ponds available in Gator Country, that centralizes it a little, but we still have our options open here. What is the status of the Ackerman Park (Fruitville Rd) old race site at Sarasota?

Does your pond there in N. Ft.Myers have raceability.

RP

JR. Guess the Godfather is trying to steal you away from dad. :D
As far as i know the sarasota pond is available, i still test my rigger their. Rich J.

As far as the FE Tunnel spec and FE open;

FE spec-would be the 4cell lipo-8cell nimh? Would this class have any other restrictions, ie: length of boat, outdrive size. I have heard in the past of the UL-1, SV-27 or Proboat motors as a rule, what about ESC size?

FE open-Would this mean any and every size motor, esc, outdrive, tunnel length and battery?

About the kneeler hydro class- Is anyone open to nitro and FE power boats running together as long as they are all 35" in length, 3.5 lower units, and outboards? Again, I have an FE version that I would definitely bring to run if that is a possibility!

Sorry if there are a set of rules that I don't know about. This is the only race that comes really very close to Greenville, NC and I would love to try and make it there to run! Thanks guys, Mike Luszcz

Latest posts

Back