Florida Tunnel Boat Mutiny!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

There has been some discussion lately of starting an asscoiation of OB tunnel boaters and get a race format going here similar to the CBM World Champs. Have talked with those guys and we would not compete with them just add another group to promote tunnel. One suggestion has been Southeast Tunnel Racing Association or "STRA" which has a ring to it. Basically we are looking to see who is interested to get on board, active and associates. A tunnel only race in FEB or MARCH? Hosted by a central club. Above and beyond that whatever guys want to see happen. Maybe a 5 heat race if time allows and or some incorpoated timming format? A sport 45 class with Charleston rules? OB Vee/mod V class?

We also need to get together to promote a stock class back in this distict.

Open to suggestions and ideas.

Randy and I have had many detailed discussions regarding this in the last 48 hrs. We envision 3-5 races a year of all tunnel type hulls (Gas tunnel, nitro tunnel, electric tunnel, mod vp, kneelers, etc...) with 5 rounds. maybe 2 lap oval, tri-oval, etc... to shake things up. The Southeast Tunnel Hull Racing Association was thought apt so that AL, GA, SC, FL, and other States could get in on it as well. Each state would have 'Chapters' of STRA.

It's just that many tunnel racers in district three have felt 'dissed' for awhile now. Stock Tunnel has traditionally been an entry level class, and while many, many racers graduate to other classes, many stay in the stock class because of the competition and sheer fun. It is beyond me that an entry level class is NOT a points class at a NAMBA district race. It should be one of the foundation classes that all points series races should include.

Randy and I are formulating a structure that we hope will re-ignite the enthusiasm for tunnel boats and bring them back to the fore-front of the south eastern racing scene where they belong.

PS*

Not to let anyone down... Randy and I still go fist-to-cuffs frequently! But we are 'the best of enemies', or 'the worst of friends' however you want to look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be cool. We already have a nice lake for such a event but not enough members to do all the leg work. Premo would cd because he knows about KOW BEACH and was a club member. We lost a valued member due to a motorcycle accident so the race would have to be in his honor. Lets see what we can do.

Good to hear about this..more power to you guys!! Keep rockin' tunnel guys...as my support,i'll race there once my project tunnel is done...

I personaly know District 3 is not against having a stock class, in the past there was little interest.

Randy, now that you, Bill, Mic, myself and others are showing interest, its the perfect time to get it set up for District 3 races.

Let's get it rolling at the November District 3 meeting in Brandon. Please all who are interested go to the meeting, so we can make it happen.

If the Orlando Culvert Dodgers can fit it in at the Winternat's that would be a great.

As far as a special Tunnel series, that would be nice too, but lets definitely get it going at the District 3 races as well, some are not be able to travel to the special races but still want to run stock Tunnel.

Thanks!

Ron Ratoff

Namba District 3 Director

(Last month, term almost over!) :D :lol:

The response has been great to this idea. Years ago Whiddon, Myself, Rick Crocker and Keith Brimlow, along with Greg Cope had a little shootout at KOW BEACH, aka Babson Park (That's funny, you have to know the area MOO..)

Four classes then 20 stock 20 mod 40 stock 40 mod and 53 boats showed up, from far away as West Palm. Just a throwdown on the prettiest little private lake. Stopped inbetween heats and let the kids swim, cookout....

We even had thoughts of a non-traditional course, tri-oval, change it up.

Now with such boats as Gas Tunnel, Mod VP, Electrics and the West Coast kneelers, we have to generate interest in these other classes to keep it alive and fresh.

Rodney "Keith" Brimlow would be so happy to see this, Jeff mentioned him, and we lost him down here, but will not EVER be forgotten.

Mic, if we build it, they will come......... Poole wants some MOD VP action I know.... Add a Atwell or 3, Wayne, Joe C.

No Hi points, just GOOD TIMES........

Thanks for the response.

Randy

Looks like interest is growing. Just a note here that Wayne has opened the door for a sport 21 tunnel class at the winternats and we need to get 6 entries in ASAP. I am good for 2 so time to ante' up.

Mic

Yes I would like some Mod-VP action but just as much want some tunnel action with some dedicated races. The World Tunnel race is a great thing. But having outboard races scattered around and with around 100 entries (or less) would be a lot of fun.

I think this could work for another reason also. With so many classes (all rc boats) it is becoming difficult if not impossible to run all of them in a 2 day weekend race. I have thought for some time that divisional races would become necessary, such as outboard division, hydro division, scale and sport division, etc.

For those that know me,

A tunnel guy Im not -

no disrespect intended- just not my thing.

More than happy to pick em up for you guys BTW ....... lol

That said , with the guys that are "on board" for this idea ,

Let me just say that I would be MORE THAN HAPPY , to donate my time to turn judge- run recovery - ect.....

You guys have my support to the fullest B) ;)

If I can lend a hand- just pick up the phone or email me,

AFTER ALL its about GROWING what we do........

Andy

I think you guys have a Great idea....I would certainly try to make any tunnel only races that happen locally (Brandon, Tampa)....Wish i could make the Winternats this year as i would definatly enter my slow, old, stock tunnel.....i sincerely hope you guys make it happen!As Andy said if it helps the hobby to grow....

I think you guys have a Great idea....I would certainly try to make any tunnel only races that happen locally (Brandon, Tampa)....Wish i could make the Winternats this year as i would definatly enter my slow, old, stock tunnel.....i sincerely hope you guys make it happen!As Andy said if it helps the hobby to grow....

I heard Gibson is in for a 55 gal drum of Windex- :huh:

Shiny is FAST after all ;)

Sorry Bill,

now back to your regularly scheduled program :unsure:

Pinning this at the top for a little while. Lets here some discussion...!

~James
No more discussion LETS DO IT!, To encourage all racers, we should be able to promote a tunnel race at any given venue,, Welcome to the world of outboards!!!!!

This is still in its infancy stage.

Ok, when and where is the first race? What classes will be run? What format? IMPBA rules? NAMBA rules? Some other rules? 2 day races? 1 day races? Who is going to be the lead group on this?

Im there if possible, but some of it depends on how things are set-up (like, I dont want to drive 10 hours one way for a 1 day race with 4 classes)

This is still in its infancy stage.

Ok, when and where is the first race? What classes will be run? What format? IMPBA rules? NAMBA rules? Some other rules? 2 day races? 1 day races? Who is going to be the lead group on this?

Im there if possible, but some of it depends on how things are set-up (like, I dont want to drive 10 hours one way for a 1 day race with 4 classes)
Gabe,

Since we are at the end of the 2009 cycle, we have the opportunity to work on the 2010 schedule, and not conflict on District, National or WTC.

A 2 day would allow us to do some of the other things we talked about, like the infamous "fast lap". There might be a need to deviate from "Tunnels" because of a interest still in O/B Hydro, where it would be all things "outboard".

This was a brain storming session held a while back with Mic, Jay, Bill, myself and Drake, and Mic probably gets the credit where credit is due here.

It's kinda like the tailgate party we had at Walterboro when the Tunnel Champs turned into the WTC. There is so much support here in Central FL for this, and we are leaning IMPBA, but that isn't a big deal. We are just trying to carve out a fun thing. Don didn't have a issue with BMB site, and we have our "Lake X" at KOW BEACH, and we will progress with the ideas that you have, and make this a community project.

RP

There is much to work out

We envision approx 4 races a year, maybe more maybe less. oval or tri-oval, 2 lap oval, fastest boat radared, etc.. could be a two day event if attendance mandates. might be different for each race. IMPBA rules, I'm sure it will start off small, but with motivation and dedication, it will grow.

There is a core group of tunnel racers here in Florida that are driving this (you know most of the names) who feel we are being squeezed out for other classes. Also, would like to introduce new outboard classes such as mod-vp, kneeler, outboard mono, etc...

Everything is still up in the air right now.

Gabe thanks for pinning this and now is the time to throw out some ideas. Any non Florida boaters we want your opinion on what it would take in the future to get you down for a race? Two weeks at Disney? Dancing girls? races scheduled while you have snow on the ground? or how about 20-40 boat classes and really good competition.

As Bill and Randy said this is partly born out of many of us driving hundreds of mile and some of the best racers are within 100 miles of home. We will still be drawn to great races like the CMB World tunnels and hope we can compliment their program and expand outboard racing.

Some of the ideas on the table are:

Anything outboard- 20-40 mod and stock/sport or maybe "Superstock"- Hydros? Kneelers? OB Vee's and or Mod Vee's? Open for .47 & larger rather than a rerun of .45's Lets not forget Gas/tunnel

Trying to run 5 heats and grow races to 2-3 day events. Maybe incorporate 2 lap oval times into scoring or just have a timming day and set our own course records at whatever sites have permanent courses?

Maybe running more chalenging driving courses such as a Tri-oval by adding a couple bouys. Non permanent and could change race to race. Just making a tighter corner at one end by removing the lead and exit bouys. One end normal 5 pin and the other a tighter 3 pin? Kind of what full size racing does adapting courses to sites and keeps driving and setups a challenge.

What about running timmed laps on Sat and give points 400/300/ on down for the fastest and then have one throw out score on Sunday heat racing. Best 4 or 5 out of 6 possible scores? Would keep you in contention if you have one bad heat.

NOTHING WRITTEN IN STONE yet. First priority is set a couple dates and get support from our local racers. As an organization we need to basically get a committe and or board members which is in process. We will have active members and I hope asscociate members. No dictators and will make the rules by majority. Grassroots to start and hope we can grow half as well as the Charleston trend setters. Don't expect miracles and there will be growing pains.

Mic

Back