Finally got my JAE 12 on the water

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Moore

Bought this boat a while back from hydro rob. First time out the head started leaking and would not get out of the water. Ended up getting another motor and used parts from both motors and made one with new bearings. So today after a couple months of putting it off I finally got a chance to run this. Its still running really rich but OMG is it fast. Motor is a Mod OS18tz with a o2 head.

Take a look at the video we did of it today before we got rained out. I need to train my camera guy to not zoom in also. lol Also need to teach my boys not to throw frogs out in the path of the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKNx3KuDt4o

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I may need a little bit of weight in the back, Rob had a bigger battery in there and I replaced it with a LiFe. On the prop it currently has a Mod V940/3 on it. Not sure whats all done to it.

Couple stills my Son took, he is in beginning photo, still need to figure out focusing on fast objects and taking photos on really overcast days.

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Then of my Vegas Deuce with a HIGHLY modified TZ still not fast like the rigger though.

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

The "V" series props have a lot of lift in them. That may be causing you hop or making you think you need more weight on the strut. Ive never really gotten one to work well.

Anthony,

The V- series propellers are usually set too deep to work properly on most set ups.

Remember .7 radii if nothing else when you set your strut up for different propellers.

Chris,

I would try a full diameter blade 40 x 53 or a 1440 B/ C @ 3.33" of cup on the trailing edge.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Very nice...can't wait to get mine up and running.

BTW, I've been thinking about running a 1S LiPo with a 5V booster for a receiver pack to keep the weight down. What size pack are you using? The largest 1S I can find is 400mAh and I was concerned about the capacity.

I have both the props Mark mentioned. The 1440 works the best on my boat. The 40X53 may be a little faster in the straights, but it doesn't do as well in the turns as the 1440. My .12 rigger is set up a little different than the JAE, but other guys in my club with JAEs have come to pretty much the same conclusion. I've used the the 900 series props in the past on .12 riggers and larger riggers with poor results. Looking at the way your boat runs, you're having a lot better luck with them than I ever had.

Very nice...can't wait to get mine up and running.

BTW, I've been thinking about running a 1S LiPo with a 5V booster for a receiver pack to keep the weight down. What size pack are you using? The largest 1S I can find is 400mAh and I was concerned about the capacity.
I am using a 2 cell 1200mah LiFe battery 6.6v peaks at 7ish volts. I use a castle creations 10 amp BEC to bring the voltage down to 6 volts. This boat will never really race, it just a fun boat unfortunately so weight is not so much as a factor. I do know that the setup I have is lighter than my 1200mah 2 cell lipo or the 5 cell pack that was in it when Rob had it. You may look into a 2 cell LiFe in the 600-800 mah range.

I have both the props Mark mentioned. The 1440 works the best on my boat. The 40X53 may be a little faster in the straights, but it doesn't do as well in the turns as the 1440. My .12 rigger is set up a little different than the JAE, but other guys in my club with JAEs have come to pretty much the same conclusion. I've used the the 900 series props in the past on .12 riggers and larger riggers with poor results. Looking at the way your boat runs, you're having a lot better luck with them than I ever had.
Hydro Rob really had this boat dialed in I think that's why this prop works the way it does. I may try a 1440 (have to buy one and have it worked on) Think I will have to GPS the 2 to see what difference there is.

Back