Fiberglass 1/8 scale hulls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem I have found with the vast majority of 'glass hulls, especially later turbine replicas, is that they lack enough interior depth up front for the large packs these boats require. Both of my FE scales are kits from Mike Luszcz and I had no issues with getting my lipos well up into the nose of each one.
default_smile.png
I was talking to Wayne about this yesterday. After looking at a 2P lipo, is there any reason that the pack could not be separated and reconfigured so that the 2 cell packs are side by side, rather than on top of each other? That way not requiring as much hull depth.

The problem I have found with the vast majority of 'glass hulls, especially later turbine replicas, is that they lack enough interior depth up front for the large packs these boats require. Both of my FE scales are kits from Mike Luszcz and I had no issues with getting my lipos well up into the nose of each one.
default_smile.png
I was talking to Wayne about this yesterday. After looking at a 2P lipo, is there any reason that the pack could not be separated and reconfigured so that the 2 cell packs are side by side, rather than on top of each other? That way not requiring as much hull depth.
Not sure what you are getting at, we typically run two packs in series to get either 9 or 10S (one 4S + one 5S or two 5S) of at least 5000mah each.

default_smile.png
I think Gino is referring to the Aussie rules as it is said in the rules to be 1 single pack to be used, to which is total BS in its self , there is no rules per 1/8 scale electrics at this point to my knowledge here in aus , like you said don use the packs to the total cap not just one big one that don't fit without sacrifice .

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne. Attached is picture of my Velanco hull in Red Bull colours. The other Paul Brookings U95. The Pine Rivers club has about 8 of these ready or nearly ready to race for next years season. We are running under the AMPBA EC rules for power. My own boat runs 12s while most are running 8s. The rules the club adopted are the current 1/8 scale with the exception of open colour scheme and electric EC power. This may change once we get more running. We are all running 1p and have no trouble doing 6 laps at good speeds. Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great to see Steve, there is a couple of us in MBCofNSW that are looking at doing 1/8 scale electric boats but complying with EC rules as stated. Maybe at some stage a discussion could be had to modify the existing rules for this class. What Gino was referring to is I was running my 4S outboard tunnel on the weekend and I asked his opinion as to whether or not he thought the battery would fit in a particular hull. That's when the question was raised as to whether or not the cells can be placed side by side and not on top of each other, by this reducing height of battery but increasing width

Yes, what Wayne said. This might open up the possibility of placing the packs in the ram wings of a 1/8 scale hull. You would need some access panels in the bottom of the rams though. Not sure what this would do to the balance point of the hull....but on a quick thought....would probably be OK.

Wayne, I was part of the AMPBA Electric Committee that revised the rules a few years ago. You don't have to have a single battery pack. You can stuff cells anywhere in the boat you like, so long as the number of cells and weight limit for each class is not exceeded. I've seen the guys in NZ put cells in the sponsons, looked to work well and you can't really see the hatch shut line from a short distance away.

Good luck with your 1/8th scale, I hope it takes off. I'm looking forward to seeing the fleet Steve mentioned in our club racing each other. My funds and time are both a bit low at the moment to join in, but one day.....

Back