FE no more, bought a nitro outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig woodley

Hello all,

Well I have taken the plunge after no sucess at all with a FE system on my VS1 I have taken the plunge into the world of nitro outboards. I bought a new Thunder tiger Pro as that was most of the budget gone.

My question is about starters, do I need a 12 volt hand held starter or can I buy from somewhere an adaption for a cordless drill so I dont need to cary a car battery with me, and I already have the cordless drill.

Cheers

Not sure if a cordless drill would be fast enough. I could be wrong, but have never seen anyone use a drill.

A cheap 3s LiPo pack has enough juice to start a 21 Outboard and is lighter / smaller than a car battery!

If you want any tips on getting more out of that TT, just ask.

First off if it's the 1.03:1 geared version, get an Octura X637 for it - TT's seem to love that prop. You can mod the lower for tuned pipes & coupled with raising the sleeve timing will give you the biggest gain in power. Alternatively you can keep the exhaust as is and work on other little things to give some gains without the cranky habits of a piped engine. The head button and head squish clearance for example. Restrict the cooling down some also.

Tim,

It is the 1.04:1 geared version Pro outboard, is an Octura 445 ballanced and polished too big? If I buy a prop for this engine on my VS1 what would you recommend?

Also what is a recommended run in nitro mix and then what do I use after that for every day use.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic, did you sell the FE stuff? If not, do you want to?

(BTW, a 445 is FAR to big for a TT. The 637 that Tim mention will be what you want to run.)

~ James

Yep, 445 is way too big. Sharpened and balanced X637 will be the way to go.....

Run the engine in on the same fuel you plan on using all the time - no need for "run-in" fuel.... I would suggest at least 25% nitro, with 20% oil. TT engines like a castor / synthetic blend - I ran 15% Klotz KL200, 5% Castor, 50% nitro in mine. Use a Mccoy MC59, K&B 1L or ODonnel ODO77 glow plug.

What you will need to do though is after-run the engine or you'll trash it in no time. When you are done running for the day, drain out the fuel tank, squirt a bit of WD40 through the cooling jacket. Then get some 4:1 FIA fuel (20% castor oil / 80% methanol) and run the engine at a fast idle on the shore until the engine gets some heat in it. take off the fuel line while its running to burn all of the fuel out of the engine. If it starts revving too high put your finger over the carb. Then remove the glow plug and pour some trans fluid down thru the carb and wind it over by hand to disperse the ATF thru the engine. Then put a rag over the glow plug hole and crank the motor over slowly with the starter motor to get the excess ATF out. All done.

Hello all,

Well I have taken the plunge after no sucess at all with a FE system on my VS1 I have taken the plunge into the world of nitro outboards. I bought a new Thunder tiger Pro as that was most of the budget gone.

My question is about starters, do I need a 12 volt hand held starter or can I buy from somewhere an adaption for a cordless drill so I dont need to cary a car battery with me, and I already have the cordless drill.

Cheers
craig , you might want to talk to tom galdys about a starter battery for your boat , he uses a 18 volt battery from sears , very light....bob

Craig,

First and formost welcome to Nirto RC powerboating. Taking your time with this and learning you are going to become very good at your new craft.

Give us a list of what you have now, Hull (Still going to run a VS-1?), Motor (looks like a ThunderTiger thats good!).. prop and what not.

Grim

Grim,

Yep going to run the VS1 hull and the TT pro outboard, looks like I will need an X637 balanced and sharpened prop, any further suggestions?

Craig

Keep up the after run flushing like Tim mentioned & your TT will serve you well, x637 x640 x642 it will pull them all just keep raising your engine until it comes alive.

I have a VS1 TT combo that's a real buzz to drive, the TT is more of a torque motor than a high rpm so utilize it's torque ;)

IF'' it was me and using that motor boat setup I would carefully look at a BC 1440. Mark S and or Mark Anderson can help. Ask for the prop cut to 17deg and cupped between 2.9 and 3.1 cup.

Test with the bottom of the bullet set 2mm above the setup board and raise from that point. IF. the boat stuffs on launch raise the motor.

ALSO.. the prop (1440) SHOULD cavatate for about 3 meters before it hooks up on launch.

You will find that you will want to add a .4mm shim to the bottom of the motor mount between the mount plate and the transom. Adjust the prop shaft so its negative. That negative number will depend on a bunch of stuff so testing will be next.

IF''' you find you are not happy with the results above listen to what Tim D is telling you. He will be able to help you the most with your setup.

Grimracer

BTY.. from now on you care less about top speed and work only on lap times. Speed will come.. just let that come in time.. WORK ON LAP TIMES!

Hayden,

I don't really want to have to buy three balanced and sharpened props so which one should I go for?

Cheers
Craig I would go with the x637 to start with as suggested, this prop will be easier to get your boat setup.

This is my stock timed TT, pulling x642

I have used an 1 1/4 socket with a bathtub stopper glued in it on a cordless dewalt impact driver. Just drill a hole in the stopper for fit over the flywheel cone. I bought a 20.00 hobbico starter, 12.00 glow plug lead, 15.00 power panel all for 47.00 then bought a 20.00 lawn mower battery form the big blue store...and it works great. I dont need the drill set up anymore but it worked great...lol

Back