FE 1/8th scale make it a legal class or not

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You aren't drinking decaf, are you? 
LOL sorry Kevin.. your right.. I didn't get a chance to have any coffee today..

Kelly you and those lipo packs made me add a itum to the wish list shame on you  LOL
LOL Randy.. Sorry

Ok 4 heats I can see and how Terry just said it.. I thought of that today but, Terry read my mind.

so how does 3 heats with a main sound?

One other thing- I'm not up on FE rules but in nitro the 1/8 scales are restricted in power to a .67 engine size. You FE guys should do something similar in regards to motor type & cell count.
LOL Don you would be burned at the stack if you spec'd a motor for this class.. Hey everyone you all need to run a 2280.. yes I know it 500 dollars for that motor but, you probably should run a schultz 40/160 also.. what you don't have another 600 for that.

LOL see the problem. If you spec the motor you have brushed and brushless.. you have Nimh batts or lipos' What do you go with. Its not as easy as nitro to say you have to run this motor.. it would be like nitro or diesel motors

in FE we say a class.. any size electric motor and up to 32 cells or 39 Volts

I like you Don I just don't want to see you get hurt.. LMAO joking of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
"in FE we say a class.. any size electric motor and up to 32 cells or 39 Volts"

Told ya I didn't know anything about this FE shiznit. :p

So what would be the FE equivalent to a .67 nitro motor like a MAC??? :blink:

well in brushless probably a lehner 2280 or aveox 1817.. its hard telling really

you have to run 25 to 32 cells to put out the power you guys do on .67's

see in FE you have alot of options in motors and cells for the same class.

here is how we break up power req in FE

M-2 A single .05 motor with brushes, any endbell, ferrite magnets. 1-4 cells are

permitted

N-1 A stock class utilizing any ROAR approved motor as defined by current

ROAR parameters. 1-6 cells are permitted.

N-2 Any single motor, any endbell, bearings, and magnets. 1-6 cells are

permitted.

Revised 3/31/05 68

O Any amount and/or size of motors, any endbell, bearings, and magnets. 7-

8 cells are permitted.

P Any amount and/or size of motors, any endbell, bearings, and magnets. 9-

12 cells are permitted.

Q Any amount and/or size of motors, any endbell, bearings, and magnets.

13-18 cells are permitted.

S Any amount and/or size of motors, any endbell, bearings, and magnets.

19-24 cells are permitted.

T Any amount and/or size of motors, any endbell, bearings, and magnets.

25-32 cells are permitted.

so when we say fe 1/8th is going to be Class T or T power spec then you know what is required but, the motor is anything you want.

and if we said a class was to run P the you could run 9 to 12 cells any motor

WAIT!!

Are you really going to say T power?

I thought we were going to give these guys cell chemistry freedom. If you just state T power you will be stuck with 1.2v/cell subC or smaller. aaaagain...

Kelly, you know your going to wait in line for those plutonium polymer metal hydride cadmium unobtainium cells when they hit the market.

ohh ohh ohh! let me spec the motor! let me spec the motor! Then someone can practice their scale building skills making a voodoo doll to stick pins in that looks just like me.

Terry's 9:05 AM post was right on the money in every aspect.

Don.............. you have to experience an FE race to understand. If I had not gone to an FE Nats some time a go to get an understanding, before going to this one, I think that I would have been more of a detriment than being helpful. It is really different.

Running 50 plus heats of FE with 5 lap races, 10 lap races, offshore, back to back heats for some entrants, and back to back frequency clip useage, I thought that we stayed on top of it pretty good in keeping things going. We didnt wait for pit men and there were no MERCY MINUTES .........and lets hear it for Thermal Power. Sorry Randy, I had to slip that one in there. ;)

....has anyone checked with Roger Newton on battery time. I know that they run three lap sprints for qualifying with a three minute start clock. I do not know if he has made the Final but I am sure he knows if his boat can make the time or he wouldnt be out there.

................. okay Kelly .............. how about running that Elam in Tri-Cities???

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

WAIT!!
Are you really going to say T power?

I thought we were going to give these guys cell chemistry freedom. If you just state T power you will be stuck with 1.2v/cell subC or smaller. aaaagain...
calm down young man.. You would have to see the rules to understand..

its writen differently

so take your meds and wait for me to post the final version

ok how is this

the course will be based off of the offshore pin with 2 extra bouys added to complete the turn.. if we go much bigger most FE sites will not be able to fit the course.so you will have a 250 foot straight and 30 foot turns.

only problem I see with this course is that you can't run offshore on the same 2 days as 1/8th scale which would mean a 2 day race like the CAFE will not be able to run offshore or if they do they ditch 1/8th scale. Or should we put another turn 80 feet from the offshore pin and have 330 foot straights? What sites can hold this size course.. I think the CAFE can but, I don't think Mich can

you will have 3 heats of quals raced on 1 day and the main A and main B ran on a second day. Winners of main A get the awards 1st through 3rd the winners of B are going for 6 through 12 places

High points will be based off of the 3 heat quals.

power

Any size of motor, one motor per drive, any endbell, bearings, and magnets.

30 to 39 volts are permitted.

What problems would you have encountered if you were to have run the 1/8 Scale Unlimiteds at the FE Nats course. Not the added course but the same course that was run all week. Okay....you run seven laps instead of five. Do you want to race or are you concerned about setting a heat racing record?

We know the turns are big enough. You just dont have those long straights.

In District 19, only two courses are NAMBA legal one mile and only one is fast enough to set records. Somebody once told me that no matter what the course looks like, everybody runs the same course.

Save your NAMBA legal record setting course for 1/8th Scale for the Nats.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

Hi Guys

Remember, if you are writing rules that spec maximum pack voltage, you MUST specify how and when this voltage is read.

There will be a huge variation in pack voltage between under load, no load, hot off the charger, etc. etc. The only viable method is to accept pack voltage as mfg. nominal cell voltage X number of cells in series - this will be independant of cell chemistry and eliminate all voltage measurement hassles.

Al.I think the problem we would run into,Running a shorter course si that the boats wouldnt air out as well and there for causing more drag and higher amp draw.

Sorry to jump in so late, but I have been out of the country without Internet for the last 3 weeks.

I agree with Kelly that NOW is the time to draft the rules, it needs to be done soon before to many hulls are built and we have to bend the rules around them, does sport hydro ring any bells? :blink:

I agree with most on here that short of power, we should stick as close to the nitro rules as possible. Our club here in Dist. 9 will most likely be adding 1/8 scale to our lineup for the 2 day "Trent Hare Classic" in Sept. We have at least one nitro 1/8 scaler planing to build an electric, Randy has his boat and I'll have mine when he pulls it (It's been a year now, Randy! ;) ) Also I got an email from Brian Jones that he starting on his E 1/8 scale. He's in So Cal and plans top make it up for the THC so it looks like we will have enough boats.

Someone said referring to nitro and courses, "We all race a mile" I couldn't agree more. Let the club decide the course, just outline the distance, no club gets left out. Our club could not run the modified Offshore course that was suggested, BUT the reason for that is we have to run our electric course inside a nitro course at Kaiser Cove in Fremont. Make it the distance and problem is solved. It also adds the possibility of all scale races in the future either running with or sperate from nitro boats.

I would also like to see the registry based on the district, not nationwide. In time, 1/8 scale electric could be as popular as it is in nitro.

Dennis,

thanks for the info.... shows you that I need to learn more about FE.

... I just picked up a chisled nosed 1977 Oh Boy! Oberto today. I now have a wood one and a glass one. I think that I asked Kelly this question but I forgot the answer. Can you give me the weight of a bare bones scale hull with cowl, with no hardware, paint, etc.

I would like to see how these hulls fair if one was converted to FE.

............ I did say if, but I would still like to check it out. Thanks,

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

I ran the 73 Bud on the 1/6 of a mile course today. I ran 6 .5 laps before the two year old, 32, 3300 NiMi cells started to dump. Speed on the GPS was 51.2MPH. There was a bunch of district 9 nitro boaters there they were real interested. one of them yelled to his kid to watch my electric 1/8 Scale that it was the future of model boating!

On this longer course I thremaled after 5.5 laps.

I think the a longer course is necessary, more than our 170 X 60 ft. electric course. I do not think the 1/6 of a mile course would be hard to race on.

Hi Al,

Can you give me the weight of a bare bones scale hull with cowl, with no hardware, paint, etc.
I would say anything 5 pounds or less would get you in the game. 4 pounds bare is really sweet, the next one I build will be targeting that weight. My Atlas with hardware and paint is right at 4 pounds and I need to add weight. ;)

Paul.

Paul Pachmayer said:
Hi Al,
Can you give me the weight of a bare bones scale hull with cowl, with no hardware, paint, etc.
I would say anything 5 pounds or less would get you in the game. 4 pounds bare is really sweet, the next one I build will be targeting that weight. My Atlas with hardware and paint is right at 4 pounds and I need to add weight. ;)

Paul.

103931[/snapback]

Paul you do not need to make it heavyer, just lower yourt strut and the front will stay down. My boat is 11 pounds finished trim and never comes close to blow over.

Back