FE 1/8th scale make it a legal class or not

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooks93

well after running one of these things I am hooked. Then I got to thinking this is the second year for this class.. first year had 5 boats this year had 14 I think including a nitro guy (the man himself Roger Newton)

I was just wondering what everyone else would think about trying to get FE 1/8th scale into the NAMBA rule book..

we could just take the nitro 1/8 rules and take out the stuff that doesn't apply to us like tail pipes and stuff.

its been ran for 2 years and at a major FE event successfully so that part is out of the way

I know these boat attract alot of attention.. Heck you didn't see anyone in the pits at the Nats when these things hit the water

anyway I am just wondering what you all thought 1/8 racers and watchers.

I will throw myself on the fire again if everyone wants to try it.. I have healed since the offshore rules so I am up for another burning at the stake.. LOL

Kelly,

ABSOLUTELY. 1/8th Scale must be made an official NAMBA class. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

start going through the nitro 1/8th rules and lets remove what doesn't apply to us

While we are on the subject......How about the N-2 sport class too!?!

I just happen to know a designer or 2 who make great hulls for that class.

I'm all for it, however....

We ought to start adopting some sort off "tough love" addititude towards classes whose popularity is waning. At the very least, maybe we should think about a 10 or 15 boat minimum at the Nats before a class is run.

At the rate we're going, we'll need a two week race to get it all in.

We're getting to big to try to please everyone.

Write it up, Kelly. You got my vote.

AlanN said:
While we are on the subject......How about the N-2 sport class too!?!
102526[/snapback]

That will be taken care of in the Sport Hydro rewrite that's in the works, won't it? Same rules across all sport classes with just a substitute your power option thing.

whose n what's

My opinion is that we just keep playing with electric 1/8ths like we have been.

There are a number of issues that need dealing with over the winter. The question is who should work on what.

Those that took a shot at sport took a beating because they were considered by some to have been self appointed.

Does the executive board ever form committies to address certain issues?

Here are just a few that should be considered.

1/8 scale

n2 sport

sport hydro (in it's entirety)

FE Nationals

Randy mentioned the possibility of an actual "scale" class.

Lot's of stuff to think and yack about.

Kelly,

If I can be of any help in looking at your final draft proposal for voting, please let me know. I am 100% behind there being an FE 1/8th Scale Unlimited class.

You will need to also take a look at how you want to handle the hull compliance issue. Do you want the FE Chairman to be 100% responsible in making decisions? Or do you want the Scale Unlimited Chairman involved at all.

Will you use the Master Hull Roster and follow the hull rules the same as Nitro or set your own standards? I just wanted to give you a few things to think about to avoid some of the pitfalls that could occur.

It would also be a good time to separate the words Scale and Sport from the other classes. I think that has caused some confusion.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Al you bet me to the punch.. I was just about to write you an email about that exact thing.. Yes I would want a master hull roster like the nitro guys and if we could fall under the scale chairman some how that would rock.. or we just appoint a 1/8th scale FE chairman

I will email you my phone number.. we need to talk

Hey Drobie...lets drop LSO

Not trying to be mean but its a club racing thing to me. Not a Nats comp.

At the very least, maybe we should think about a 10 or 15 boat minimum at the Nats before a class is run.
won't work.. some nats don't even have that many racers..

ok here is what Al and I talked about.

basicly I would like to make FE 1/8th scale shadow the nitro rules. just change what we need to as far as motors and cells allowed.. no sense reinventing the wheel.. this would also afford the nitro guys if they wanted to try FE to pull there engines and fuel tanks and drop in motors and batts in the same hulls they use now. Saves them money and we get more racers. Plus if we are all on the same page it would make for a wealth of knowledge about scale parts, details on the real boat and setup tips on 1/8th scale hulls that the nitro guys have... You wouldn't have to wonder if thats legal for us or them or if this will work in that boat or the other.. We are running the same speeds so setup should be similar.

It could also be the bridge between nitro and electric racing together like one big happy family.. Group Hug. :D

Al might even build a FE 1/8th.. how cool would that be.. another pace boat.. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL whats to think about.. already showed that..

the batt requirment will be in voltage

I can see it now............ the vintage round nose boats will run nitro motors and the turbines will run electric. Now we have boats that not only look like like the big boys...........they will even sound like the big boys. ;)

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Guys this sounds great.Anything I can help with.Let me Know.Al just curious,Has there ever been a problem of turbines running against vintage?

Are their any advantages to either at this size ?Is there a such thing as a minimum weight.

Are their any discussions going on with the nitr 8th scalers concerning cganges or you folks pretty much set ?

Dennis,

no problems in RC running turbines and round nosed boats. In our area, pickleforks with no tail feathers are the most popular. When I go to Washington, pickleforks with tail feathers are much more popular. There was a feeling that round nose boats couldnt keep up with the turbine style. My buddy Doug DeWitte put that to rest.

Its all about set up.

In Washington, there are a lot more scale boaters so it is common to run a vintage heat of the older boats.

Here is a registry of the boats that we run in SO Cal.

http://www.namba19.com/un_registry/Directory.html

Kelly Brooks and I talked at length on the phone the other night. Some good ideas came about. We both came to the conclusion that within a few years, dont be surprised if you see a special event race that would include FE and nitro scale unlimiteds at the same race.

Maybe in the same heats.

Here are the possibilties.

1. It could be a demonstration event at an FE Nats if it is felt that there are not as many boats as there were at this Nats.

2. Marty Shallenberger hosts an event in Washington that brings together

the two Washington racing organizations for a weekend.

3. Or there could be an event at the FE time trials that are held in November at Legg Lake in California.

A lot will depend on how the FE scale rules are drawn up which will take some time as Kelly and I talked of some of the pitfalls that could occur...........same that do occur to this day in nitro. Its not a black and white thing like some may think.

There is no minimum weight. Personally, if the boat is too light, it is tougher to keep on the water in race conditions and the hull will also lose its shape over time. Boats range in weight from 10 pounds to 18 pounds.

FE motors have a lot of torque. You have an advantage there.

We get right back to how it is setup.

The only tweeking done with the rules is usually at district level. The NAMBA scale rules have seen one change in many years. Three heats to four for qualifying at a Nats. We have done four heats since I have been around ...........if just wasnt in the rules.

There is qualifying, the Connie, and the Final. Bring plenty of batteries ;)

If you want to see Scale rules specific to our district, here is that link.

http://www.namba19.com/rules/rules.html

See ya

Back