FE 1/8th scale make it a legal class or not

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis how are you going to run 5 heats of 1/8th if all the other fe class's run 3 heats.

everyone will leave and the 1/8th guys will still be running.. what 1 hours between heats.. if you would of done that at the nats it would of been dark. and the boats would of been carried away by the tornado.. LOL

How do you use it for high points.. You get 4 first then make it to the main and dnf.. so you would get zero points because the main is there the points come from and the placing.

if you use all the heats for points then if you get 5 first then you just got a major advantage over the guys going for high points and are not running 1/8th

To keep it simple we need to stay with the rest of FE 3 heats

a. The regatta must consist of four (4) preliminary rounds of heats and one (1) final round of concluding heats. The concluding round of heats must consist of one (1) final heat sometimes called the “main” and may include a maximum of two semi-final heats sometimes called the “semi-main” and/or “consolation/trophy” heats.

the only way to do it would be to run it 2 days.. then what does a smaller race like the CAFE race do since its a 2 day race.. you would have to drop a class

I think Kelly has it right.

The vast majority of FE racers might get kind of cheesed off, if a small group of racers just declares that they will run more heats than everybody else.

That could get the entire proposal voted down. :(

KW

not to mention Dennis you haven't finished 3 total heats of 1/8th yet over the 2 years its been ran.. how are you going to do 5 in a day.

LOL sorry man just razzing ya.

Put the flame thrower down and walk away slowly :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelly, Wait till you see what teh Elam ran yeaterday. The rear wing was no wider than 2 feet. The fairings were tipped like when the boat is traveling down the road. JW said it didn't track as well. Forgot to take my camera.

Roger

Kevin Whitehead said:
I think Kelly has it right.
The vast majority of FE racers might get kind of cheesed off, if a small group of racers just declares that they will run more heats than everybody else.

That could get the entire proposal voted down. :(

KW

103654[/snapback]

Just for the record, for O-Sport Hydro (1/16th Sport Scale, etc...) here in the Puget Sound, we run 3 regular heats, 1 consolation heat, then 1 final heat... I think the 1/10th scale guys were doing the same..., so that's at least 4-heats for the fast guys, and another for those who had some bad luck ( a couple of races ago, I had to race Dick in a conny heat! :blink: He won... ;) )

The rest of the classes (O-Mono, N1, etc...) run just 3 heats...

No one goes home peeved...

Of course, most of them also run in the O-Sport Hydro class as well as the others... ;)

You might be better off not using scale for declared individual and club total points. I dont know of anyone who puts that kind of importance on it like FE does.

Running more scale heats than normal FE racing, if you would like, is not a problem. They do it at nitro races. You just have to know when. It is easy to do.

Size of courses? You can go the .9 or 1.0 mile. Check out the rule book for dimensions.

You know the size of the course at the Nats. I think that it was a 30 foot radius. San Diego runs a 15 foot radius. You may recall that I took a vote at the Nats to run a 6 or 7 lap course to save some time. The vote was split. Before a decision was made, Dennis Whitt went out on the course to add three bouys in the right turn to expand the turn because that was the way you guys set up your boats in testing. Well, two of the three bouys made it. You had a short turn on the left and two 90 degree turns to the right. Looked to me like FE scale boats can handle anything. Your choice would be that you can run an existing FE course and add a lap but you might not be able to set records. Or add the three bouys in the right or left turn and go for the bigger course.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Darin Jordan said:
Just for the record, for O-Sport Hydro (1/16th Sport Scale, etc...) here in the Puget Sound, we run 3 regular heats, 1 consolation heat, then 1 final heat...  I think the 1/10th scale guys were doing the same..., so that's at least 4-heats for the fast guys, and another for those who had some bad luck ( a couple of races ago, I had to race Dick in a conny heat!    :blink:   He won...  ;)   )
The rest of the classes (O-Mono, N1, etc...) run just 3 heats...

No one goes home peeved...

Of course, most of them also run in the O-Sport Hydro class as well as the others...  ;)

103668[/snapback]

The rest of how many classes?

We're not talking about club racing, of course. :)

KW

brooks93 said:
eddie not real sure what the size was.. but, I think the nitro course is 330 straights 70 turns but, I don't know for sure
Al or Don whats the size of the nitro 1/8th course

103636[/snapback]

IMPBA is 35 foot radius turns & 330 fooot straightaways. :)

brooks93 said:
a. The regatta must consist of four (4) preliminary rounds of heats and one (1) final round of concluding heats. The concluding round of heats must consist of one (1) final heat sometimes called the “main” and may include a maximum of two semi-final heats sometimes called the “semi-main” and/or “consolation/trophy” heats.
the only way to do it would be to run it 2 days.. then what does a smaller race like the CAFE race do since its a 2 day race.. you would have to drop a class

103652[/snapback]

What is the total heat count for all classes you run at a 2 day race? :blink:

brooks93 said:
7 class's 3 heats =21 heats all together
103695[/snapback]

It takes two DAYS to run 21 heats????????? I'm not an FE guy can you explain this to me?? We nitro guys run over 100 heats (160 heats at Atlanta Springnats) at a typical 2 day race. :blink:

brooks93 said:
7 class's 3 heats =21 heats all together
103695[/snapback]

The total heat count per day would be the 7 classes X the number of heats required per round X 3 rounds.

The number of heats per round depends on turnout but, it will be much larger than 7. So, the total heats per day will be way above 21.

KW

no 21 heats a day for 42 heats total..

you have to remember the offshore class we run are 4 minute heats at 3 heats is 12 mins and 5 offshore class is 1 hour.. and most of these class have 2 or 3 flights

lets not forget retreiveal time

brooks93 said:
no 21 heats a day for 42 heats total..
you have to remember the offshore class we run are 4 minute heats at 3 heats is 12 mins and 5 offshore class is 1 hour..  and most of these class have 2 or 3 flights

lets not forget retreiveal time

103699[/snapback]

No.

If the are 24 entries in a class, it will take at least 3 heats per round to run that class. That is 9 heats per day (or more) for that one class.

KW

You aren't drinking decaf, are you? :)

Retrieval time took a while with that slow retrieval boat at the nats. But anything much faster would have caused to much chop at the pond with the cement walls.

At the NATS the first 2 days were heavy heat numbers. Upper 50's. Offshore takes at least 10 to 12 minutes per flight. Clock time ran while the retrieval boat was on the water. If we ever get that kind of turnout again we'll get another retrieval boat for sure. I'll thieve one from camp in the middle of the night if I have too.

You could easily stuff a 4th round of 1/8 in by running it as the first flight of the day and as the last. The issue with running the extra flights is the charge time between flights. Not really an issue if you run LiPo but it would dictate LiPo if you don't split the rounds up. That 4th round could be filled with winners from the other rounds based on number of entrees. I'd have to think on that one but it IS possible to run at least a 4th round without screwing up a whole days racing.

As for the other heat racers being hacked off about a 4th flight for 1/8, I doubt that would happen. This class will be the epitomy of FE enginuity. Most of FE stops what they are doing to watch these suckers go. A chance to see the top shelf run an extra heat sounds very cool to me. Plus most guys will not be preping for their next flight so they will be able to actually sit and enjoy the show for that last heat.

Add some bouys that are realated to the new offshore point bouy. Basically another set of bouy for a turn 80' out from the set we run now. Super easy to do. Al was telling us that they run a tighter turn than we do where he runs so that too IS possible. This would give us a long straight without having to butcher our existing course.

The HP scoring and team scoring issues will be a big deal to 6 to 10 guys nation wide. Is that enough to hold the class back? Is HP access the the primary objective of a proposed new class? I hope not. We have to get passed this notion fellas. We had 59 racers at the 2005 NATS. I think there might have been 8 guys in the high points run. Even fewer that were anywhere close. Maybe 4 that had a shot. There is a lot more to this class than potential points. My opinion of course.

Trying to work out team points for offshore is a pain in the rear end BTW. Another example of our attempt to cater to the points chasers making race management even more difficult.

So stop it already. LOL Figure out what will make the class successful and don't worry about the points. PLEEAASSE! :D :D :D :D

Flame suit on.

"So stop it already. LOL Figure out what will make the class successful and don't worry about the points. PLEEAASSE! "

BINGO!!! Get it going & tweak a little as needed. Stop sweating the small stuff, it's not like you're gonna wake up tomorrow & have 50 FE 1/8 scales. These boats take time & lots of it. Not unusual for me to spend 6 months to a year on build up of a new one. :)

If you have enough entries, run 3 rounds to qualify, top 5 go to final. Run one consi heat with 6th thru 12th, winner goes to main. Final (main) 6 boat heat is for all the marbles. B)

One other thing- I'm not up on FE rules but in nitro the 1/8 scales are restricted in power to a .67 engine size. You FE guys should do something similar in regards to motor type & cell count. ;)

Like I said before, set it up so you can have both, Either three heat race or the three with a conie and a final so the size of the race will ditctate if we get to play a little extra.

I am going to go the a full size course (Kaiser cove) 6 laps = one mile. I will run the 73 bud and see how much juice it takes. Iwill be there tomorrow, will let you all know after I get back.

Kelly you and those lipo packs made me add a itum to the wish list shame on you :rolleyes: LOL

Back