FE 1/8th scale make it a legal class or not

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay....good luck when you need to file your claim. I am done with this issue.

thanks

Steve

brooks93 said:
actually namba does cover it as long as you follow the namba saftey rules.
been there done that and already asked

104354[/snapback]

.........maybe we ought to check with insurance liability and Lipo's.

Currently the FE classes call for using sub cee's only.

Run a year with sub cee's. See how the boats run.

......you may notice that we didnt jump right in to the 2.4 gig radio system making it NAMBA legal in the rule book. We are looking at it. Why not treat the power source for the 1/8th scales the same way for now.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Sounds as if Kelly has done his homework.

................ hey Randy............ thermaling ?????? You are killing me man.

.............. I will give you the award for the Most Improved Promptness to the Drivers Stand Award. :)

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

There are/is currently no text anywhere in the NAMBA rule book that would prohibit the use of Lithium Polymer technology.

The NAMBA rule book and the underwriter for that matter does not get into every tiny little detail of every little piece of the hobby. Much like nitro fuel has no specific formula restrictions.

HA! Do you suppose the underwriter would be thrilled to know that we take a factory prop and sharpen it to the point that you could rob a convenience store with it? NOT! I test my props for sharpness with my tongue. Hope I'm still covered. LOL Hey, how about them turn fins?

Failure to follow the safety procedures defined by the manufacturer would likely void your coverage under the NAMBA policy. You can bet that the minute you don't respect the technology is the minute that something goes wrong too.

Accidents will happen. I witnessed a ton of people charging cells while not attended at the Nats. :rolleyes: I don't recall one fire at the race caused by over charging NiMh cells. I'd be willing to bet that if there were 60 guys charging lipo at the nats we would have had one or two.

Its just a plain FACT, these will sometimes burn after a crash or if overcharged! Its up to the user to decide whether or not they want to take the risk. I personally WILL NOT bring a product in my home that has that high of a risk of causing a fire. I know there are all kinds of neat ways of storing these cells, like in fire proof boxes, but I'm a meat head :blink: sometimes and more than likely would build the box but forget to store them that one time and burn my house down.

lol see that truck that burnt... **** fords.... brooks is right back to 1/8 scale boats

rock on

charles maley

Al Waters said:
Sounds as if Kelly has done his homework.
................ hey Randy............ thermaling ?????? You are killing me man.

.............. I will give you the award for the Most Improved Promptness to the Drivers Stand Award.    :)

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

104362[/snapback]

Glad to get ya back to day za vou!

You have not been to many of the races that I attend, that was my normal. every now and then I have needed mercy, But most of my consern was for dennis.

Hey Guys,

WOW! The Lipo thing got out of control here. Look, I ran NiMh 3300s in my 1/8th and like I told Kelly at the race from what I saw Lipos aren't the end all be all setup in that size boat. I will continue to run sub-cs because I didn't see the advantage of using Lipos.

Weight restrictions? Fogetaboutit. :D

Go with the nominal voltage deal spoke of earlier.

Follow the Nitro rules except for power.

Listen to what Al has to say. (I'm kicking myself for agreeing with him ;) )

Build a friggin' boat and come play.

Paul.

and like I told Kelly at the race from what I saw Lipos aren't the end all be all setup in that size boat.
I don't know Paul, 3 first's for Kelly was proof enough for me :D

Pagemaster said:
I know there are all kinds of neat ways of storing these cells, like in fire proof boxes, but I'm a meat head  :blink: sometimes and more than likely would build the box but forget to store them that one time and burn my house down.
104383[/snapback]

Steve, that's exactly the right approach. You know the cells aren't for you and make a decision based on that knowledge. Some people don't do their own plumbing in their house because the know they can't be trusted with a torch. Not everyone trusts themselves with a circular saw either.

Paul, you know that Kelly's boat has a bunch more speed left in it. He only had to go fast enough to win. Of course if it weren't for those damned gears you would have given him a run for his money cuz the Atlas hauls butt.

yes I have room to move with my setup.. I know that and so does everyone else..

does it mean that you have to have lipo's to win.. no Pauls boat is fast and could be faster if he could keep it on the water.

I personal feel that nimh and lipo's are pretty equal as far as performance but, you will get killed if it comes down to run time in a 1/8th scale anyway.

brooks93 said:
yes I have room to move with my setup.. I know that and so does everyone else..
does it mean that you have to have lipo's to win.. no Pauls boat is fast and could be faster if he could keep it on the water.

I personal feel that nimh and lipo's are pretty equal as far as performance but, you will get killed if it comes down to run time in a 1/8th scale anyway.

104437[/snapback]

Your darn right u don't need lipos, my Squire(running 3700's) could keep up with the those 2 no problem with a setup costing hundreds less. Just didn't have the builtproof setup to take the wood this time. It will be a different story at Cafe this fall. Ma Ha Ha.....

Hey my Miller(one of the slower boats out there) took a 3rd. Allan did a great job of driving to keep it in the winners circle.

You have to have a setup that will survive 3-5 brutal rounds. Kelly had it, Kudos to Kelly. Enjoy your 15 minutes buddy, you earned it!

Last edited by a moderator:
well I needed a laugh and now I got it..

anyway back to 1/8th

run a nitro course or not

I think you should run the nitro course.....that would be excellent at T/T as well.

thanks

Steve

brooks93 said:
well I needed a laugh and now I got it..
anyway back to 1/8th

run a nitro course or not

104595[/snapback]

I think you should run the nitro course.....that would be excellent at T/T as well.
whats T/T?

or did you mean TT bar.. LOL

actually if we follow the nitro rules if I understood Al right all you have to do is have a course where you run a total of a mile.. and size you want and enough laps to equal 1 mile

Time trials in the East are ran on 1/6th courses. There are several, one is in MI. It would be cool to see these 1/8th boats setting oval records on that course. Of course the IMPBA does not yet have this class.

thanks,

Steve

brooks93 said:
whats T/T?

or did you mean TT bar.. LOL

actually if we follow the nitro rules if I understood Al right all you have to do is have a course where you run a total of a mile.. and size you want and enough laps to equal 1 mile

104683[/snapback]

Hey Steve that was my lipo that went up that Neu posted.That pack was in a 50 size heli that went in at full throttle. Lipos dont just explode.They have to be way over charged or have 2 wires touching each other to start a short going. That was my case. I think there have been more fires started in boats by speed controlls than all lipo fires combined. Lipos are'nt for everyone yet, it does take some common sense witch some people dont have much of. I think just aboat everyone is well aware of lipo scares and thats probably good but I think its time to move on and start running these bad boys. Back on topic. I love that 1/8 scale is here and I hope to see some at the LA SAWs. Any boat will be welcome to run a pass if you wanna see what kind of speed your looking at.

Mark F

sjslhill said:
Time trials in the East are ran on 1/6th courses.  There are several, one is in MI.  It would be cool to see these 1/8th boats setting oval records on that course.  Of course the IMPBA does not yet have this class.thanks,

Steve

104686[/snapback]

But THE fastest 1/6th time trial oval course is in Chesapeake, Virginia. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back