FE 1/8th scale make it a legal class or not

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MarkF said:
Hey Steve that was my lipo that went up that Neu posted.That pack was in a 50 size heli that went in at full throttle. Lipos dont just explode.They have to be way over charged or have 2 wires touching each other to start a short going. That was my case. I think there have been more fires started in boats by speed controlls than all lipo fires combined. Lipos are'nt for everyone yet, it does take some common sense witch some people dont have much of. I think just aboat everyone is well aware of lipo scares and thats probably good but I think its time to move on and start running these bad boys. Back on topic. I love that 1/8 scale is here and I hope to see some at the LA SAWs. Any boat will be welcome to run a pass if you wanna see what kind of speed your looking at.Mark F

104692[/snapback]

Cool, I will run mine once in LA!

When your boat racing in 5 classes in one day, it's going to be an effort to watch them charge Mark. You and I both know how dangerous they can be. I just think a smaller class would have been better for these. This is just my opinion, I don't set rules. I like the class idea, I think it's great.

Steve

MarkF said:
Hey Steve that was my lipo that went up that Neu posted.That pack was in a 50 size heli that went in at full throttle. Lipos dont just explode.They have to be way over charged or have 2 wires touching each other to start a short going. That was my case. I think there have been more fires started in boats by speed controlls than all lipo fires combined. Lipos are'nt for everyone yet, it does take some common sense witch some people dont have much of. I think just aboat everyone is well aware of lipo scares and thats probably good but I think its time to move on and start running these bad boys. Back on topic. I love that 1/8 scale is here and I hope to see some at the LA SAWs. Any boat will be welcome to run a pass if you wanna see what kind of speed your looking at.Mark F

104692[/snapback]

FAST ELECTRIC SCALE UNLIMITED HYDROPLANE COMPETITION

GENERAL RULES

1. Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules are intended as a supplement to the General Powerboat Rules of Competition. In the case of a conflict, the Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules shall prevail.

2. The purpose of the class is to duplicate the unlimited class of hydroplanes as closely as

possible.

3. The National Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman shall coordinate and com-municate the business of Scale Unlimited Hydroplane competition with the individual district Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairmen.

4. The Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Contest Board shall be made up of the National Scale

Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman and a representative from each NAMBA district. The

Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Contest Board reserves unto itself the power of decision in all matters of duplication or conflict.

RACE FORMAT

1. At the discretion of the Contest Director, races will be run either under the NAMBA Heat Racing format or the “love plan” which is run as follows:

a. The regatta must consist of three (3) preliminary rounds of heats and one (1) final round

of concluding heats. The concluding round of heats must consist of one (1) final heat

sometimes called the “main” and may include a maximum of two semi-final heats

sometimes called the “semi-main” and/or “consolation/trophy” heats.

b. The division of boats into heats for the three (3) preliminary rounds shall occur by

random draw. The drawing of boats into heats for round one shall occur immed-iately

following the driver’s meeting and before heat racing begins. A drawing of boats into

heats for rounds two through four shall occur in the presence of owners and drivers, if

possible.

c. The boats with the highest points after the three (3) preliminary rounds shall be eligible

for the final heats. The number of boats eligible for the final heats is six. If a frequency

conflict exists between two or more boats eligible for the final heats, preference goes to

the boat that has accumulated the most points in the preliminary rounds, or to the boat

with the fastest time should a tie in points occur. The other boat will have the option to

change to any other available frequency.

d. After the final field has been set, the next lower boat shall be designated as an alternate

starter for the final heat should one of the boats in the final heat field fail to start.

Revised 11/15/99

e. After the final heat field has been set, the boats not qualified for the final heat shall be

used to fill the “semi-main” and/or “consolation/trophy” heat(s).

f. The outcome of any of the “semi-main” and/or “consolation/trophy” heats will not affect the overall standings or points for the day.

g. Final race standings shall be determined by order of finish in the final.

OFFICIAL COURSES

1) The course shall be defined and measured as follows:

a. The course shall be 0.90 miles in total length

b.There shall be a minimum of 3 (three) laps required in the total race distance for all classes

c. When applying for Records, the District Director or his appointed

alternate from the District in which the contest is held, must

certify the course is:

i. not less than required in Courses, B.1)a), above;

ii. the device or devices used to time the race shall be capable of measuring the Race Time to the nearest 1/10th of a second.

2) The turns shall be clockwise and be defined as follows:

a. Turns of 90 degrees and 135 degrees must have a 15 foot to 30

foot radius and marked by a minimum of 2 (two) buoys. Radius

turns of 30 (thirty) feet or larger must have additional buoys to a

maximum of 5 (five) being used to adequately define a turn.

B. Turns of 135 degrees or more shall be marked by a minimum of 3

(three) buoys for radii between 15 (fifteen) feet and 30 (thirty)

feet. For radii over 30 feet, additional buoys to a maximum of 5

(five) to adequately define the turn shall be used

HULL SPECIFICATIONS

1. All boats shall be models of past or present American Power Boat Association Unlimited

Hydroplanes that are listed on the Fast Electic Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster.

2. Boats are to be built on a scale of 1½ inches equals 1 foot of the actual boat (1/8th Scale).

3. The true scale dimensions of any Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane shall be derived from the unlimited dimensions listed on the Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster. Boats shall measure within the following tolerances of the true scale size, excluding appendages.

a. Overall length ……………………………... ± 1 inch

b. Beam…………………………………….……± 10%

c. Maximum Depth……………………………...± 10%

d. After plane length (three point design)….……± 10%

e. Tunnel Width…………………………………± 10%

4. Boats shall be painted, configured, and detailed like the actual unlimited as it ran on the water. The acquisition of documentation validating a paint scheme, cowling configuration, engine configuration, or other scale details shall be the responsibility of the boat’s owner. Photographs of the boat are an acceptable form of documentation.

5. Boats shall enter competition complete with cowlings(s) and driver(s). If any of the

removable parts fall off the boat during competition, except as a result of a collision, that

boat will be awarded no higher than sixth place points in that round upon completion of the heat. This penalization only affects the points that are awarded and not the finishing

placement of the boat which incurred the infraction. The placement of and points awarded to other boats in the heat are not affected by this ruling.

5. The boat’s motor shall be concealed by either an engine cowl, fake engine (Allison, Rolls, etc.), or both.

6. The number of props and rudders shall coincide with that of the original full sized unlimited hydroplane.

7. Outdrive units and outdrive engine(s) are prohibited unless the full sized boat after which the boat is being modeled had an outdrive or outdrive engine(s), in which case the model must be configured like the full sized boat.

8.- The drive dog must not extend more than one drive dog length past the transom unless the real boat being modeled did and must be scaled accordingly

9. The boat bottom/sponson profile shall be the same general appearance as that of the full sized unlimited hull it represents with the following exceptions:

a. Sponson riding surfaces may be modified.

b. Propeller shafts may be articulated.

c. Rudders and skid fins may be configured and located as desired.

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

1. Any amount and/or size of motors, any endbell, bearings, and magnet. With a max onboard voltage of 39 volts.

MASTER HULL ROSTER

1. The Fast Electic Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster shall contain the name and details that identify each boat that may be built for Scale Unlimited Hydroplane competition. It shall contain the principle dimensions of each boat that is listed, if known.

2. The National Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman will be responsible for compiling,

interpreting, updating, and distributing the official Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster. The official Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster may be purchased for $5 and must be signed and dated by the National Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman. He will make an updated roster available by January 31st of each year.

3. Boats must meet the following criteria to be placed on the Scale Unlimited Hydroplane

Master Hull Roster:

a. The full sized boat must have been registered with the American Power Boat

Association racing committee.

b. The registered boat must have made at least one verifiable test run in the water.

4. The Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull Roster will include the name, address, and telephone number of the National Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman, all District Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairmen, and all known manufacturers, builders, photographers, plan makers, etc. which are helpful in building Scale Unlimited Hydroplanes.

Revised 11/15/99

SCALE CONCOURS JUDGING

1. All boats are to be judged from six feet off (stand off scale). A picture must be supplied to the contest director for each boat entered in the concours judging.

2. Any boat entering the concours judging must, at a minimum, start one heat of the race in order to be eligible for the concours award.

3. Judging will be based upon a point system as follows:

a. Documentation

1. 0-20 points - Photograph(s)/Presentation

b. General Appearance

1. 0-10 points - Workmanship

2. 0-10 points - Engine, exhaust, and radio gear concealment

c. Detail

1. 0-10 points - Engine/cowl detail

2. 0-10 points - Driver detail

3. 0-10 points - Cockpit detail

c. Paint Job, Markings, Etc.

1. 0-10 points - True colors

2. 0-10 points - Scale of markings, decals, lines, numbers

3. 0-10 points - Overall finish

ANNUAL NAMBA NATIONALS

1. All Fast Electic Scale Unlimited Hydroplanes entered in the annual NAMBA Fast Electric Nationals must have a photograph showing the general configuration and paint scheme of the full

sized boat being modeled. Any exceptions to this must be approved in writing by the

National Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok find the errors and help me fix them

quote the paragraph and show me the same paragraph with the fix so everyone can see what being changed

or just give it a thumbs up

"8. The propeller drive dog may extend one drive dog length beyond the transom"

I'd change it to something like -

8.- The drive dog must not extend more than one drive dog length past the transom unless the real boat being modeled did and must be scaled accordingly.

There are late model unlimiteds where the drive dog was/is more than the one drive dog length equivalent past the transom. :)

brooks93 said:
RACE FORMAT

a. The regatta must consist of four (3) preliminary rounds of heats and one (1) final round of concluding heats.

104852[/snapback]

Make up your mind, is it four or is it 3? :D

KW

This appears multiple times in the text.

brooks93 said:
HULL SPECIFICATIONS

5. Boats shall enter competition complete with cowlings(s) and driver(s). If any of the

removable parts fall off the boat during competition, except as a result of a collision, that

boat will be awarded no higher than sixth place points in that round upon completion of the heat. This penalization only affects the points that are awarded and not the finishing

placement of the boat which incurred the infraction. The placement of and points awarded to other boats in the heat are not affected by this ruling.

5. The boat’s engine shall be concealed by either an engine cowl, fake engine (Allison, Rolls, etc.), or both.

104852[/snapback]

Two #5 rules in Hull specs.

Also, that is motor, not engine (second rule 5). Sould read:

(6. The boat’s motor shall be concealed by either an engine cowl, fake engine (Allison, Rolls, etc.), or both.)

I would say that that rule could be dropped but, it is not impossible for someone to run a brushed motor and not conceal it. Not likely but, not impossible.

KW

I would eliminate everything that is duplicate to current NAMBA Scale Unlimited rules to make it easier for everyone. I dont think that anyone will sit down with both packages and compare line for line for differences. Most will just say that they like or dislike what they see not knowing what is already in place. Or they may not like something that has been in place for many years.

I agree with starting off with keeping General Rule number 1.

Kelly,

maybe this was your intention but Don's suggestion pre-empts that thought. All nitro sport classes and the scale class (there are 6 total) use the same drive dog rule.

To change that, then it would make sense to change all of the classes. Do you really want to do that?

Nothing against Don's suggestion as he always has geat suggestions. It's just that his was the first.

My aim would be to make the FE Scale class rules the same as nitro except for the obvious. Saves another four pages in the rulebook of which most would be repetitive.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

so should we just add a blip in the nitro rules with the course change and power change.

we will be running 3 heats with a main or just 3 heats depending on what the CD or host club wants to do

Is 1/8th electric motor open? Anything goes? Can you have two motors on a gearbox?

thanks

Steve

brooks93 said:
so should we just add a blip in the nitro rules with the course change and power change.
we will be running 3 heats with a main or just 3 heats depending on what the CD or host club wants to do

104889[/snapback]

I think that Al means that something like this will be sufficient:

GENERAL RULES

1. The Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules shall follow the NAMBA Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules with the exception of the following:

2. Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules are intended as a supplement to the General Powerboat Rules of Competition. In the case of a conflict, the Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules shall prevail.

RACE FORMAT

Same as the Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules except that three (3) preliminary rounds are run instead of four (4).

OFFICIAL COURSES

b. There shall be a minimum of 3 (three) laps required in the total race distance for all classes

c. When applying for Records, the District Director (or his appointed alternate from the District in which the contest is held) must certify the course is 0.90 miles in total length and that the device or devices used to time the race shall be capable of measuring the Race Time to the nearest 1/10th of a second.

(five) to adequately define the turn shall be used

HULL SPECIFICATIONS

1. Referring to SUHRR Hull Specification rule number 5, replace "engine" with "motor".

2. The drive dog must not extend more than one drive dog length past the transom unless the real boat being modeled did and must be scaled accordingly

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

1. Any amount and/or size of motors, any endbell, bearings, and magnet. With a max onboard voltage of 39 volts.

ANNUAL NAMBA FE NATIONALS

1. All Fast Electic Scale Unlimited Hydroplanes entered in the annual NAMBA Fast Electric Nationals must have a photograph showing the general configuration and paint scheme of the full sized boat being modeled. Any exceptions to this must be approved in writing by the National Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman.

KW

32 cells fully charged are 48V

10S LiPoly fully charged is 42V

But I assuming that your going on 32 * 1.2 and 10 * 3.7?

thanks,

Steve

Can this be pared down?

>OFFICIAL COURSES

b. There shall be a minimum of 3 (three) laps required in the total race distance for all classes

c. When applying for Records, the District Director (or his appointed alternate from the District in which the contest is held) must certify the course is 0.90 miles in total length and that the device or devices used to time the race shall be capable of measuring the Race Time to the nearest 1/10th of a second.

(five) to adequately define the turn shall be used<

Can we replace all of that with:

The NAMBA Official Courses rules will be followed.

That would make the total FE Scale rules look like this:

GENERAL RULES

1. The Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules shall follow the NAMBA Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules with the exception of the following:

2. Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules are intended as a supplement to the General Powerboat Rules of Competition. In the case of a conflict, the Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules shall prevail.

RACE FORMAT

Same as the Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules except that three (3) preliminary rounds are run instead of four (4).

OFFICIAL COURSES

HULL SPECIFICATIONS

1. Referring to SUHRR Hull Specification rule number 5, replace "engine" with "motor".

2. The drive dog must not extend more than one drive dog length past the transom unless the real boat being modeled did and must be scaled accordingly

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

1. All Fast Electic Scale Unlimited Hydroplanes entered in the annual NAMBA Fast Electric Nationals must have a photograph showing the general configuration and paint scheme of the full sized boat being modeled. Any exceptions to this must be approved in writing by the National Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman.

sjslhill said:
But I assuming that your going on 32 * 1.2 and 10 * 3.7?
thanks,

Steve

104902[/snapback]

If that's the case it should say "manufacturers stated voltage rating" or something like that.

Steve, Page you are right.. we talked about that 6 or so pages ago and I forgot to change it.

volts will be based of manf. stated voltage.. other wise you could sneak in extra cells but, getting it teched without a full charge

Kevin your the man.. that makes alot more sense then having the whole thing writen out

not sure about the 2 motors on one gear box. I know I wouldn't really care but, got to see what others have to say.

Ok guys what about this.

thanks for the help Kevin this make alot more sense

GENERAL RULES

RACE FORMAT

OFFICIAL COURSES

HULL SPECIFICATIONS

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

1. Any size of motor, any endbell, bearing, and magnet. With a max voltage per drive not exceeding 39 volts using the manufacturers stated voltage rating.

Looks good except I'd drop the "Any exceptions to this must be approved in writing by the National Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman." part in regards to photo docs as you're supposed to have documentation to build one since you need to prove what you built existed. :)

1. Any size of motor, any endbell, bearing, and magnet. With a max voltage per motor not exceeding 39 volts using the manufacturers stated voltage rating.
So on a twin motored system coupled to one main prop shaft can use two 39volt packs?

1. Any size of motor, any endbell, bearing, and magnet. With a max voltage per drive not exceeding 39 volts using the manufacturers stated voltage rating.

motor should of been drive

Don not sure what your saying.. isn't that in the nitro rules also?

Back