Fast Electrics in D12 for 2010?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Fellas,

I don't have a dog in this race other than just trying to help out, but I think you'll find the B and P monos will be pretty evenly matched. I would let it be known (IF you decide to allow FEs) that if a FE racer shows up with a boat that clearly exceeds the speed of a well setup B mono, that he will be asked to bring the boat in and sit out until he has a setup that is better suited for the class.

I agree that FE cats shouldn't be run with the O/B Tunnels, as they are completely different animals.

IMO A P-Spec O/B Tunnel will fit right in with a good B-Tunnel.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fellas,

I don't have a dog in this race other than just trying to help out, but I think you'll find the B and P monos will be pretty evenly matched. I would let it be known (IF you decide to allow FEs) that if a FE racer shows up with a boat that cleary exceeds the speed of a well setup B mono, that he will be asked to bring the boat in and sit out until he has a setup that is better suited for the class.

I agree that FE cats shouldn't be run with the O/B Tunnels, as they are completely different animals.

IMO A P-Spec O/B Tunnel will fit right in with a good B-Tunnel.

Doug
Doug...thank you for taking the time to help out with the FE guys in Dist. 12...it is very much appreciated! You are our wingman along with Chilli (Mike), of course! Great job Mike...you are really getting things together so we can ALL have some fun! As far as points go for the FE guys...I don't really care about that and would really just be happy to be a part of the racing going on!!

Also, thank you Don for taking all of this into your consideration!! :)

-Kent

There is a nice little article on Fast Electrics in the Dec'09 Roostertail (page 57)

There is a nice little article on Fast Electrics in the Dec'09 Roostertail (page 57)
Thanks...I will check it out!

Hey guys, the new improved impba site is now up and running...

-Kent

Here is the the proposal I am going to email to all D12 club officers and have my club president submit at the D12 district meeting next month. It has been looked over by Don and Doug Smock the D13 FE director. I have tried to address everyone's concerns and this is what I have come up with. Please discuss any opinions and suggestions with your club officers as the will be voting on this at the D12 meeting next month.

District 12 FE Proposal

My name is Mike "Chilli" Chirillo. I am an IMPBA D12 member and member of the Capitol RC Model Boat Club. My son and I attended several district events over the last year running in the novice class. My son will continue in the novice class, but I will be looking for a new challenge in 2010. We had such a great time racing this past year that I have been searching for FE boaters in the region to race in our district. I have rounded up a few new district members and am now asking you all to consider including FE’s in next year’s district schedule. I think it would be beneficial for all parties. It would give us a place to race and enjoy the camaraderie shared in D12. It would also be a new source of growth for the district. I am requesting the opportunity to run two classes so that FE racers can run more than just one or two heats per day. I also request that Fast Electric RTR’s are welcome in the RTR class. I have solicited input from district nitro racers in the International Waters forum. With their input, I have come up with some options and rules to include fast electrics in next year’s schedule. I ask that you discuss this issue with as many of your club members as possible so that we may get everyone’s opinion and ensure there will be no surprises for any D12 members next spring.

Here are some options for including FE classes in district races:

Option 1: Advertise Two Separate FE Classes in District Race fliers: P-mono and P-Spec hydro. Three boat minimum to make a class. No class if minimum count not met.

Pros: Nitro classes would remain segregated. No changes.

Cons: Increased heats in an already busy race schedule. Frustration and discouragement among the new FE racers if there are not enough entries to make a class.

Option 2: Run Two combined classes: B-mono/P-mono and B-hydro/P-Spec Hydro.

Pros: Little chance of increasing the number of heats in a race weekend. FE and in some instances nitro racers would be assured of having required minimum number of boats to make a class (B-mono only had two entries at the Chesapeake race in 2009).

Cons: Possible animosity among nitro drivers. Accommodations and rules needed to address equipment limitations and advantages between FE and Nitro boats (Rules Proposal Below).

Although it would be nice for worthy FE members to receive awards for their performance during a race weekend, I have no desire to disrupt the nitro class points championships.

As a D12 member I prefer option 2 to be run for a one year trial. If the combined classes do not work well in 2010, the exposure will at least give the FE classes the opportunity it needs to get on its own feet in 2011.

Proposed D12 FE/Nitro Combined Class Rules. Sections in red are not part of the rule, but an explanation to district and club officers of why the rule is needed.

1. All heats will be six laps unless specified in district race flyers. FE heats in Section J (Fast Electrics) are shorter. FE boaters need to know this so they can set up their boats for longer heats.

2. All heat starts will be in accordance with IMPBA Rulebook, Section G, Heat Racing Rules. Race starts (pit time & clock time) in Section J have different procedures. We want to keep in line with the nitro rules as much as possible to make things easier for the CDs and host club.

3. During a heat, a boat cannot stop for any reason. Doing so will result in being called a Dead Boat by the CD. A barrel roll, end over end flip or spin should not be called a dead boat as long as the boat continues in a forward motion. Racers shall respect the CD’s judgment. When called a dead boat and the boat is capable of maneuvering, the racer shall hold his position until cleared by the CD. When cleared, the racer shall give way to all boats racing, then proceed directly to the infield and come to a stop behind the start buoy until the end of the heat. This rule is to reduce the advantage FE boats may have during situations that would lead to a stalled motor in a nitro boat. This is a modified version of the FE rules found in section J and is more stringent to level the playing field.

4. At the end of a heat as a boat finishes, one of two methods may be used:

A. A racer may choose to do a cool down lap and will continue all the way around the course before coming to shore.

B. A racer may choose to park in the middle of the race course. After the racer finishes the heat, the racer shall give way to all other boats and when safe to do so, pull into the course infield. The racer shall come to a stop and hold his position until all boats on their cool down lap have returned to shore. Only then may the racer may bring their boat in. A boats electronic speed controller will build up more heat at partial throttle than at full throttle. The cool down lap after a heat can put additional strain on the ESC and possible destroy it. This is a modified version of the FE rules found in section J. Section J is geared toward FE only and says that the CD will pick one method for an end of race procedure. This is not an option when running combined classes.

5. A qualified FE racer shall be designated to retrieve all dead boats after a heat if there is a dead FE boat on the pond.

6. LiPo battery packs shall be charged on a flameproof surface such as a metal table, Pyrex Dish or Clay Pot. A dry fire extinguisher or extinguishing agent such as a bucket of sand shall be kept in all FE racers pit area or where batteries are being charged. LiPo packs got a bad rap when they first came into the RC world. Most mishaps occurred because people improperly handled them, abused them or continued to use damaged packs.

7. FE P-Spec Classes:: The intent of the P-Spec Motor Specifications is to define a motor and Electronic Speed Control (ESC) package to be used in Limited Spec class racing. Motors and ESCs in these specifications shall be based on readily available parts from Ready-to-Run offerings by various manufacturers.

P-Spec classes will be limited to use of one of the following brushless motors:

AquaCraft AQUG7000 brushless motor (SV27)

Aquacraft AQUG7001 brushless motor (UL-1 Superior)

ProBoat PBR3310 brushless motor (BJ26, Formula FastTech, Miss Elam FE)

No alterations or modifications to the motor are allowed. Originally supplied contacts may be replaced. Any electronic speed controller may be used. The P-spec classes have been a popular in clubs and districts running Fast Electric classes. They are low cost, reliable and readily available RTR motors that have found to be comparable in speed when raced in B-hydro and B-Outboard Tunnel class hulls. The motors selected are of comparable power and have been raced together successfully in other districts.

8. In the spirit of good sportsmanship, any FE boats having a noticeable speed advantage over the faster nitro boats in any heat other than open classes will be asked to detune their boats to ensure competitive racing. If they do not comply, they shall be disqualified from the class.

If adopted, I invite the district to add, delete or modify any of the proposed rules to best fit its needs. If the District chooses to run FE’s in separate classes, rule 3, 4, 8 can be omitted and FE racers will revert to racing under Section J of the IMPBA Rule Book. Rule 6 may be better suited for placement in the Districts safety rules.

Thats Cool. Looks like Spec tunnel may be a popular class in the future.

11 Days to the district meeting. I will be going down to Richmond to address any questions or concerns regarding FE's. The million dollar question that will be debated is do we run combined with nitro classes or separately? I want to get an idea of how many FE's we have planning on racing with us next year. I will be requesting P-Mono and P-Spec Hydro classes. Right now I know we have at least three that will run riggers in P-spec hydro and two that will run P-mono's. I know we have a few interested in Spec Tunnels. Are you guys consider running your tunnels in the spec hydro class this year? Any FE exposure to our district this year would be a good thing! Anyone else considering running FE's with us?

If anyone has any questions, comment or requests, ask away.

Looking foward to seeing you guys in a few weeks!!!

I know of at least 3 P SPEC tunnels You should put 1 together I told you I would and I did :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

As it stands right now I'm leaning heavily towards recommending the P Specs run with the B classes since they are so closely matched just to see how things go. As has been said before we already struggle to complete district races with all the classes we offer so we'll need to watch how it all unfolds during the racing season.

Moonlighter, I'm gonna have to wait a year to do a tunnel boat. I've done three builds this winter and if my wife see's me building another one, she is going to throw me and the boats out the window. LOL!

I tend to agree with Don. I know there are a few of you out there that run B tunnels and hydros that will run P-spec if offered, but will not trade running nitro for FE's if the classes were combined. And that concerns me because I want as many FE's out there as possible. But, if we run three extra classes(mono, spec-hydro and now maybe spec-tunnel, thats going to add a dozen heats to a race weekend. Which equates to adding at least an extra hour during a race weekend (and thats if the recovery boats are fast and the CD is riding us like Smarty Jones in the Preakness ). The two D12 races I attended last year could only fit three heats in per class. There is also the added cost of awards to the host clubs for classes with three or four boats. Thats going to cut into their bottom line. The boats look alike and are similar in performance. If it doesnt work out, Don or the voting members of the district can make any necessary changes.

This is just my humble opinion. You guys have been great to me and my son this past year. The last thing I want to do is muscle in on the nitro guys or create descension in the district. I will be more than happy with whatever the district agree's to.
smile.gif

Chilli

OK Chilli,

I support the modified proposal using the CMB Club FE "P" Spec rules which are what you have adopted in this thread. We (D12) can try them out in the 20 "B" classes and see how it goes for a first year trial. If there is enough turn out then maybe a seperate class for 2011! My two cents worth for Mr. Ferrette. James Beasley

Back