Fast Electrics in D12 for 2010?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the World OB Tunnel Championships, hosted by the Charleston Model Boaters (CMB) in Charleston, SC, we offered a FE (Spec P if I recall correctly) in our May race this year. We have had recent discussions and are looking to offer it again and possibly an Open FE tunnel class as well. If the FE tunnel racers want the FE classes to be added, you NEED to enter and attend to grow the classes.

This is the premier tunnel race held each year anywhere. The race is tentatively scheduled for Apr 30 - 02 May 2010. The entry flyer will be released in early January 2010, AFTER the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice piggybacking to plug your tunnel race there John. :rolleyes:

We'll send ya a bill for the advertising fees. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. :p

Seriously though we'll work this out and the P-Spec idea in B mono and B hydro sounds like a viable option as long as those who run that class are ok with it. "Chilli Mike"- I had a long conversation with Doug Smock last week about getting something going for you guys here in D12 and he was very helpful with info and ideas, stay in contact with him as well. As far as tracking separate points I'm going to say not at this time as it's hard enough to get some clubs to get results in as it is. Baby steps people, lets SEE the boats turn out on a consistent basis and we'll go from there. B)

i totally agree with what u say Don.i know it hard to keep up with the points with all the classes.i was just wondering for a suggestion if it would be ok or to see how it goes this year as far as how many fe boats we have.i have a question should fe including me for p-hydro carry extingishers for safety?i think that would be on the safe side just incase.

Mike;

you know i dontmind you guys running in B mono at our race and hope you and your Son

come out to the race again.

it is very nice to see fast and very quiet at the same time. :D :D

hope we can work something out at teh district meeting in February.

Getting finalized for my hip replacement next week right now and hope to run one

more time (weather permitting) this Saturday.

Carl

Carl, this all started a little over a year ago when you answered my first email and invited me over to the Capitol pond. I thank you and now that I have a few races under my belt, I promiss not to bust your chops every five minutes asking newbie questions during the next Capitol race. You know I'll be there working hard with everyone else to make it a sucessful event!

John, I don't mind the Tunnel Championships plug. My guess is there is not too many people who run internal combustion tunnels and FE tunnels. It's a long ride to run one class. Then again, I may be wrong. I don't know if Charleston hosts the Fall Nats every year. But if you do and ever decided to run FE's at the Fall Nats, I have no doubt you would have very good participation. I understand the last D13 SOWEGA Grand Prix race included 36 FE boats with 9 running tunnels from D13 and D3. Though I'm sure you would have the same problem as D12 races. An already crowded field.

As far as safety, there were allot of stories going around about Lipo battery fires when they first came out. Mostly because people were treating them like their NiMh packs. I have not heard of any recent accounts of battery fires in the two years I have been on the FE forums. That being said, I do bring a small fire resistant table (aluminum) and fire extinguisher for charging packs to the races just to be extra cautious.

Baby steps agreed for FE D12. No points. Hoping for two classes. I have had allot of positive comments so far but I would like to hear from any D12 nitro racers who DO NOT think this is a good idea. Chime in!!

I don't know what precentage of district members are active on this board so after the holidays, I will email the club officers and make sure they know of my proposal/request so they can discuss it with club members. I want to ensure there will be no surprises for anyone come spring time.

Everyone have a great Turkey Day and be safe!!! :)

Carl, this all started a little over a year ago when you answered my first email and invited me over to the Capitol pond. I thank you and now that I have a few races under my belt, I promiss not to bust your chops every five minutes asking newbie questions during the next Capitol race. You know I'll be there working hard with everyone else to make it a sucessful event!

John, I don't mind the Tunnel Championships plug. My guess is there is not too many people who run internal combustion tunnels and FE tunnels. It's a long ride to run one class. Then again, I may be wrong. I don't know if Charleston hosts the Fall Nats every year. But if you do and ever decided to run FE's at the Fall Nats, I have no doubt you would have very good participation. I understand the last D13 SOWEGA Grand Prix race included 36 FE boats with 9 running tunnels from D13 and D3. Though I'm sure you would have the same problem as D12 races. An already crowded field.

Baby steps agreed for FE D12. No points. Hopefully two classes. I would like to hear from any D12 nitro racers who DO NOT think this is a good idea. Chime in!!

Mike,

The Charleston club hosts the Fall Nationals each year and we are crammed with classes already. We ran 26 last month and fitting in new ones will be a challenge. We have decided to make a few adjustments in classes for 2010 but adding FE classes was not discussed. It is hard for more classes at a nationals race, just the nature of the beast.

The tunnel champs is potentially looking for 2 FE classes for 2010, one being an Open FE class. IF and I repeat, IF some of them show up in very solid numbers, then we would have to pay attention to it. But to date, it has not happened. BTW, there are some nitro tunnel heads that also race FE tunnels. More crossover than you may think.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. However, our club strongly supports D12 clubs and their races as much as we can. Boat racing is good, no matter if it is nitro, gas, FE or a combo of them.

John

John

Anything of interest to D12 is welcome on my thread. I appreciate you including FE's in the Tunnel Championships. I'm getting into gas boats as well so I'll make it to the Charleston before long.

Mike

chilli i always heard horror stories about lipo's and wanted to make sure nothing goes up in flames especially on a hot dry day.i got cut couple years ago with a prop during a race it was on accident.i dont want to see anyone or any personal items get hurt or burned up.i like to just run around the lake if i win cool but if i dont there is always the next race.with the way things are headed i noticed more gas than nitro.electric is coming slowly but it on the way .especially with the electric motors and batterys today.i hope in 2010 we can have a safe and close chase for the championships in all the classes.

William, I appreciate all your input, suggestions and concerns. My opinions are only my own and even though I got the ball rolling on this, I expect the district to equally take everyones ideas into consideration.

If you think it would be helpful, I would be happy to draw up a set of safety guidelines for Fast Electric racers to let the District look over at the winter meeting. There are also a few other guidelines that will have to be presented such as FE boat retrieval and the option for FE's to pull into the middle of the course at the end of a heat instead of a cool down lap. The cool down lap puts addional stress on our equipment. Don has already been briefed on these items by Doug Smock the D13 FE Director. I can draw something up and have Doug take a look at it before it is submitted. I could even post it on this thread for everyone to take a look at.

My wish is that everyone run safe and have reliable boats. I don't want to see new FE racers burn up expensive equipment. After that, the only thing left is to have fun! :)

Very good info and advice guys. I appreciate the input. I have been warned numerous times that P power can have an advantage over .21 nitro and that the quickest way to alienate yourself would be to dominate the nitro guys. We do have some bad ass nitro drivers in D12 but if there is any significant performance advantage in P-mono, I plan on proping down and will ask fellow FE racers to do so. If that is not acceptable to the district, you could bump us up to open nitro mono. I don't mind being called a dead boat if the boat comes to a stop during a race. As long as I can pull out of harms way when cleared by the CD.

That being said, if the route the district wants to take would be to combine classes as you guys have recommended, my proposal to the district will probably be to ask for two combined classes: B-mono/P-mono and B-hydro/P-Spec Hydro. P-spec being restricted to run only the Aquacraft UL-1, SV27 or Proboat Blackjack 26 motor. We will stay out of the tunnel class. I'll also be requesting that the district verify that FE's are included in the RTR category at all district races.

Just a reminder, we are realistically looking at running only two or three boats at two or three district races next year. Again, I welcome all comments and input.

Peace!

Chilli
I would be intrested in putting together an fe tunnel to run in an electric class,but not if the classes are going to be all mixed up...FE classes run together to include any boat style with 1,1,1 and only 1 engine spec,and voltage spec and class would have to stand on its on, not mixed in with with nitro or gas.

We'll have to visit this at the 2010 District 12 meeting that will most likely be in early February. While we always want to encourage letting everyone race we are getting crushed with the number of classes we are already up to now and still be able to run 4 rounds at a 2 day race. We'll figure something out, we always do one way or another. B)
I will build a FE tunnel to run in a FE class with other FE boats of any kind BUT NOT to mix up nitro and FE, the FE guys need to come to all of Dist 12 races to help the cause not just 1.

chili i dont wanna see anything happen.i was curious because i will run Fe class.i was going by what i knew has happened in the past to FE boats and dont want to see it happen to anyone at any of our district races.i guess i am very anal about open props and safety.

i got my motor,esc picked out for p-spec hydro

Looks like Chilli, WW29 and I will be all be building and running the JAE 21 FE in the P-Spec Hydro class next year (if things go well at the Feb. meeting).....Anybody else thinking of building and running one in any of the Dist. 12 races?

-Kent

We'll have to visit this at the 2010 District 12 meeting that will most likely be in early February. While we always want to encourage letting everyone race we are getting crushed with the number of classes we are already up to now and still be able to run 4 rounds at a 2 day race. We'll figure something out, we always do one way or another. B)
I will build a FE tunnel to run in a FE class with other FE boats of any kind BUT NOT to mix up nitro and FE, the FE guys need to come to all of Dist 12 races to help the cause not just 1.
Considering how light the B mono turn outs have been at most of the D12 races this past season I personally would welcome an evenly matched P-spec FE or two in that class. :)

Considering how light the B mono turn outs have been at most of the D12 races this past season I personally would welcome an evenly matched P-spec FE or two in that class. :)
B mono, your not serious. :blink:

B mono, your not serious. :blink:
Considering there were only 2 at the ODMBA race and what like 3 at Centreville yes I think it's worth considering but of course this will be decided by the clubs at the district meeting. :)

I will be running B mono next year and I do not have a problem the the FE running in this class. I don't like the idea of a FE Cat running with the 20 O/B Tunnels but if they do, its all FUN.

MTB

you can offer 20 million possible clases and everyone has the boats but life has ways of keeping people from coming out and racing. specially the cost of traveling,hotels,fuel,family,work ect ect ect.

i wont be running next year at all so thats 1 less B mono,B Tunnel,D tunnel and Gas mono in the water :-(

I'm glad we have some FE tunnel interest amongst the nitro tunnel drivers. Right now there are very few tunnels built for FE's. Most are modified nitro boats. I think there may be a few coming out next year. For now I don't think we will have any (new member) FE tunnel participants for 2010. I'm committing to P-Spec Hydro and P-mono and Stock Gas. But I'm thinking FE tunnel may be a popular class down the the road and I wouldnt mind joining in.

As far as I know, the only one planning on running a FE cat is my son and he will be running novice for another year or two. Running him in tunnel never crossed my mind.

Back