Electric fuel pumps

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimD

Whats the best Electric fuel pump and where do I get one from? High nitro kills the common ones I've tried so far. I've been using a 6 shooter hand crank pump, but the new boat has 26oz. of fuel in it and it takes forever to fill. I want to make it a bit easier!

Any suggestions?

Hello Tim,

I have used the same Sullivan 12V pump with 50% for about three years and the trick for me has been running some 4 : 1 through it after the days running.

My pump still runs as good as new with no more (or new) noises at all.

Hope this helps !

Regards,

David K

Tim I use a winshield wiper pump for two years on 24v with no problems.It's only $10 at you parts store and it sounds like a jet :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what your talking about filling and draining large fuel tanks with a 6 shooter! I've had different manuel and electrics over the years and always came back to the 6 shooter, because none of the others held up. Then this year I bought a Boxer, made by Slimline. It seems to be a preaty good electric pump! What I find neat is that the pump part is quite similar to the 6 sooter. It uses a tube and rollers, and you can get the rebuild kit for 6 bucks or so. Its preaty quiet to. Tower Hobbys sells them. Drew

I've been using the winshield wiper pump of the Passat VW for the last 10 years.It is made with bronze gears that last forever!

Gill

I bought a $30 geared pump once. It had a very high rate and it was nice to fill a tank that quickly. I used it for a season and went to get it the next season and it wouldn't prime. I couldn't find the problem either. The name was something like Kazan.

I used a washer pump before as well. It had a rubber impeller in it. Apparently it only liked turning in one direction.

The Mark IV's haven't lasted long either.

Using a Hobbico now. Seems to be doing OK.

I haven't seen failures due to nitro. Only mechanical failures. I still keep the hand pump with me.

A few notes about electric pumps..

O yea its Kavan.. Kavan makes a bunch of stuff...

Anyway.. be careful using an electric pump with a metal tank. it can make a mess of things if you forget to pull off your hemostat or fuel line clamp.

You can either blow up the tank or collapse it.

Grim

very true Mike, i made one of your .21 metal tanks blow up like an egg one time when I forgot to unclamp the line..... and that was with a hand crank pump... :blink:

but the tank held up quite well considering... no leaks! youll have to give the solder man a pat on the back for that....

~James :D

I have found that if you unprime the pump and get the fuel out of the pump, that it holds up for years. This is with the geared hand cranks. You would think it would do the same for the electric.

Mike

I have used the slimline sl-2000 electric pump that mounts on top of the fuel jug for 5 years now and stoll going strong. Go to www.slimlineproducts.com and check it out

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an automotive electric fuel pump ( in the gas tank version) for an oil pump on the lathe, I guess it would work on fuel for the boats as well, I use a variac to control the output, but a pressure relief valve would work as well...

Almost any garage has them laying around, as when the pressure drops off a bit they wont supply the injectors correctly & they have to be changed out, the old ones make good fuel or oil pumps for intermittent duty..

There are high & low pressure models too, your local mechanic could inform you on that..

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back