Eagle SGX .21 reborn and moddified

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyEdge

I have purchased a used .21 and i would like to share the rebuild of this fine rigger.the first pics are from the person i purchased it from.First i will be sanding and removing the old paint.second I will be returning all the the sharp edges to all sponsons and removing the center sponson.

I will be posting pics as i go with updates.

I will be running a CMB 2009 .21 valvoa RS7 with a CMB .21 pipe.I have not decided what prop to use.And of course a 2.4 Futaba system

r9fvb4.jpg

If you are speaking of removing the center sponson below the stuffing tube, DO NOT DO IT. It is a critical part of the boat and will severely affect it's performance.

If you are speaking of removing the center sponson below the stuffing tube, DO NOT DO IT. It is a critical part of the boat and will severely affect it's performance.
I beg to differ... We never got it to not drag its tail in the water with it on. We made the rear end much lighter also to get it out of the wet. It loaded the engine quite hard otherwise.

Jeremy,

Call CMDi and have them send you a set of the SGX-2 wings and rear sponsons if your going to start taking the old sponsons off anyway.

Niklas is correct concerning the removal of the rear center shoe, the newly updated X-2 rear sponsons are even better(no center shoe).

Keep us updated.

-Buck-

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeremy,

Call CMDi and have them send you a set of the SGX-2 wings and rear sponsons if your going to start taking the old sponsons off anyway.

Niklas is correct concerning the removal of the rear center shoe, the newly updated X-2 rear sponsons are even better(no center shoe).

Keep us updated.

-Buck-
Hey Buck,

I was going to try and shape the rear sponson but thats a great idea to order a set of the new rear sponsons.I think i am going to leave the orignal wings on or even take them off to cut down on rear weight.I think that rear wings really help on straight aways but i will just be heat racing so I think that it would not hurt the performance much.

Jeremy,

Keep us updated.

-Buck-
Hey Buck,

I was going to try and shape the rear sponson but thats a great idea to order a set of the new rear sponsons.I think i am going to leave the orignal wings on or even take them off to cut down on rear weight.I think that rear wings really help on straight aways but i will just be heat racing so I think that it would not hurt the performance much.
The winglets are needed even for heat racing, I'd suggest leaving them.

-Buck-

Jeremy,

Keep us updated.

-Buck-
Hey Buck,

The winglets are needed even for heat racing, I'd suggest leaving them.

-Buck-
Thanks Buck I will leave them on.

Looks good. What is the angle of the rear "pad" ride surfaces...from the pic looking at the transom of the hull. I am looking to do something similar to a keps.

Jeremy,

Keep us updated.

-Buck-
Is the 45 boat or the 21 with the new rears and no center shoe?

Robert

Looks good. What is the angle of the rear "pad" ride surfaces...from the pic looking at the transom of the hull. I am looking to do something similar to a keps.
I'm not sure. I'll get you an angle later, I'm in the middle of moving and then I'll be on holiday.

Jeremy,

Keep us updated.

-Buck-
Is the 45 boat or the 21 with the new rears and no center shoe?

Robert
Robert all the SGX-2 boats have the sponson/wing/no center shoe set up that I posted as far as I know. 20, 40, 60, 80, and Twins.

-Buck-

Well all sanding has been completed.The center shoe has been removed.now it is time for me reseal the wood with west systems and install the servos and engine.

I will post pictures of the sanded hull tonight.

Jeremy,

Keep us updated.

-Buck-

Hey Buck what is the angle on the rear shoes and what is the depth off the bottom of the hull to the top of the shoe?

Jeremy,

Keep us updated.

-Buck-

Hey Buck what is the angle on the rear shoes and what is the depth off the bottom of the hull to the top of the shoe?
I no longer have the 20 boat so I can't measure it for you. Sorry.

Buck

Jeremy,

Keep us updated.

-Buck-

I no longer have the 20 boat so I can't measure it for you. Sorry.

Buck
Cool Thanks

Here are some recent pics of what has been done to the hull.

The first pic is of the rear center sponon removed the secound is the hull.and third and fourth is of the radio box.

I am having trouble removing the old servo mounts from the previos owner does anyone have any suggestions on removing the old servo mounts.

thanks,

Jeremy

f2v9y1.jpg

295boeg.jpg

ehyb2d.jpg

b9ghut.jpg

If the previous owner used west system epoxy to hold in the servo mounts, pull out the hair dryer/ heat gun, concentrate medium heat on the glue joint while you pull/ twist them with medium force. When they get hot enough they they'll pop right out.

If that doesn't work you could always just go in with a dremel tool with a sanding drum, cut the majority of the material away then clean up the rest by scraping the inside with a razor blade.

Good luck!

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
If the previous owner used west system epoxy to hold in the servo mounts, pull out the hair dryer/ heat gun, concentrate medium heat on the glue joint while you pull/ twist them with medium force. When they get hot enough they they'll pop right out.

If that doesn't work you could always just go in with a dremel tool with a sanding drum, cut the majority of the material away then clean up the rest by scraping the inside with a razor blade.

Good luck!

Brian
Thank Brian worked like a charm.It was not West Systems but some sort of grey goo.

Here are some pics of the new throttle and 3rd channel mix servo tray I made.And the test fit of the engine.

2zs9tp1.jpg

cib8g.jpg

Awesome man, I like the servo layout.

Brian

Thanks Brian,I tryed to utalize as much space as possiable in the front of the radio box to keep the weight forward for better performance from the rear Sponsons since i have removed the center sponson.Thus the reason for positioning the servos in the front left of the radio box.Which I think looks neat as well.I have made to tydes of servos trays.The first one which you see in the picture that holds two HS-81 servos and a secound the will hold a set of HS-85mg servos.Which are slightly smaller then the 81's.

Back