Does anyone have a Delta Force 35" (900 mm) with Brush Less?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald1966

I have a Delta Force like this with a .45 nitro engine.

I need some inputs about what to buy if I should rebuild it for FE?

Would like to get mid to upper 40's.

This is for Heat Racing.

I have a Delta Force like this with a .45 nitro engine.

I need some inputs about what to buy if I should rebuild it for FE?

Would like to get mid to upper 40's.

This is for Heat Racing.

A good combo for that would probably be a Neu 1521 and a hydra 240 esc. It will take some prop testing to see what will be the right one. That combo in the 33 delta is good for mid 50's in race trim

Offshore Electrics.com has the components. RC Lipos for batteries : 4S 5000 mah X 2 [4S2P]

a Neu 1515 1Y is as fast as the 1521 1.5D on the straights [but wont pull as hard in the turns] but will be less amp hungry.

Caution : Your Nitro buddies may not like you after you spank them with a properly set up FE DF !

Nitro buddies???

No more Mr. Nice Guy! :D

Can anyone please post pics of how you connect your drive shaft to the motor?

Do you use collet or square drive?

Nitro buddies???

Harald,

Welcome to the Dark Side!

For direct drive (motor to cable) use a collet connector. Use a thrust bearing at the strut or motor mount if your set up is direct drive.

Pick your motor with enough Kv (RPM/volt) to give you about 25,000 rpm with the battery packs you are planning to run. For that size boat I would suggest Lipos using 6S-2P (22.2V)or even 4S-2P (14.8V)(but this is minimum) try to pick a motor with good efficiency and middle to higher magnet mass. (This produces a motor with a bit more torque.) Neu's are good high efficiency motors but are also fairly pricy. A good motor might be a Neu 1527 1.0Y or 1.5Y for about $300. Another very good motor for that boat might be a Hacker B50XL in the 13 to 15 wind version (if you can find one). Lesser cost (around $100) would be a Nemesis (Fine Design) or Feigao (Offshore Electrics) 540XL in the 14 to 16 wind versions. But these last two motors are less efficient and will not last as long.

Whatever you do buy the best Speed control that you can afford and one that will provide a max amp rating that is about 120% of what you expect to run. With a properly set up boat, for heat racing you can expect to be consistently pulling between 85 to 135 amps, with short term bursts up to around 200 amps. Please do buy one that is water cooled and can be programmed with soft start, low voltage shut-off and thermal shutdown.

When you buy battery packs, whatever size you get, try to buy packs that have a maximum continuous amperage drain rate capacity of at least 25C. If you are going to try 1P packs (which I do not recommend for heat racing)get the very highest C rating you can find, at least 30C.

Now with all this high powered stuff, wire it all together with 6mm or better bullet connectors and 10 to 12 gauge wire. Shrink wrap all the joints and connectors and when not plugged in keep one terminal isolated against accidental shorts at all times.

The very next most important thing to remember is don't ever double lap a gas boat competitor! (lol!)

Nitro buddies???

Harald,

Welcome to the Dark Side!

For direct drive (motor to cable) use a collet connector. Use a thrust bearing at the strut or motor mount if your set up is direct drive.

Pick your motor with enough Kv (RPM/volt) to give you about 25,000 rpm with the battery packs you are planning to run. For that size boat I would suggest Lipos using 6S-2P (22.2V)or even 4S-2P (14.8V)(but this is minimum) try to pick a motor with good efficiency and middle to higher magnet mass. (This produces a motor with a bit more torque.) Neu's are good high efficiency motors but are also fairly pricy. A good motor might be a Neu 1527 1.0Y or 1.5Y for about $300. Another very good motor for that boat might be a Hacker B50XL in the 13 to 15 wind version (if you can find one). Lesser cost (around $100) would be a Nemesis (Fine Design) or Feigao (Offshore Electrics) 540XL in the 14 to 16 wind versions. But these last two motors are less efficient and will not last as long.

Whatever you do buy the best Speed control that you can afford and one that will provide a max amp rating that is about 120% of what you expect to run. With a properly set up boat, for heat racing you can expect to be consistently pulling between 85 to 135 amps, with short term bursts up to around 200 amps. Please do buy one that is water cooled and can be programmed with soft start, low voltage shut-off and thermal shutdown.

When you buy battery packs, whatever size you get, try to buy packs that have a maximum continuous amperage drain rate capacity of at least 25C. If you are going to try 1P packs (which I do not recommend for heat racing)get the very highest C rating you can find, at least 30C.

Now with all this high powered stuff, wire it all together with 6mm or better bullet connectors and 10 to 12 gauge wire. Shrink wrap all the joints and connectors and when not plugged in keep one terminal isolated against accidental shorts at all times.

The very next most important thing to remember is don't ever double lap a gas boat competitor! (lol!)
Don't forget a good motor mount to go with that Neu motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Steve!

Is Feigao (Offshore Electrics) 540XL a Brush Less motor?

I am only interested in Brush Less, you know.

Thanks Steve!

Is Feigao (Offshore Electrics) 540XL a Brush Less motor?

I am only interested in Brush Less, you know.
Yes it is brushless. Here is a link to fellow that builds great motor mounts. Not as cheap money wise but great quality. May have one that fits between those rails.

South bend

There's a gent there with Username and given name Peter Zicha, who custom makes the mounts for any type of motor. I will get you his email addy. Jim Williams link is South river rc boats. And Peter is on OSE, I have emailed him and will pass along his email for you. Or you can check it out on OSE under the buy and sell thread. Cheers

Who's selling?

Links or pics please.

Harald

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter's work is artwork!!

There's a gent there with Username and given name Peter Zicha, who custom makes the mounts for any type of motor. I will get you his email addy. Jim Williams link is South river rc boats. And Peter is on OSE, I have emailed him and will pass along his email for you. Or you can check it out on OSE under the buy and sell thread. Cheers

Who's selling?

Links or pics please.

Harald

Forgot to mention, Peters mounts come with built in plate for you to mount your esc!! I will try and get you some pics of my mount this weekend.

Peter's work is artwork!!

Who's selling?

Links or pics please.

Harald

Right now I'm concidering building a smaller DF 26 (650 mm)with 4S, and Feigao motor.

Which motor and ESC should I choose for this size hull?

Is there any web shop

less expencive than Offshore Electrics?

Right now I'm concidering building a smaller DF 26 (650 mm)with 4S, and Feigao motor.

Which motor and ESC should I choose for this size hull?

Is there any web shop

less expencive than Offshore Electrics?
Harold,

Not much cheaper than Offshore.. I would put a UL-1 motor and esc combo $159 at Offshore.. You can run 4s on this and get 45-50mph.. We have a guy in Dallas that runs the DF 33 with UL-1 motor/esc and gets 45+mph in race conditions, very competitive in LSO or P-mono... Easy cheap and reliable setup... You will have lot of fun with this one for sure!! Much faster than the SV27 (nitro) you were running last years race...

Hope to see you next May in Dallas!! Missed you at the Sept 5-6 Race?

ttyl,

Richard Rogers DRCTB...

Harald,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been out of town.

Yes Feigao's are brushless. If you buy a Feigao motor be certain to get a good water jacket.

With a boat of that size you are going to work that motor, and it will get warm. Water cooling will be essential for both the motor and the speed control. I would run a separate line from the water pickup to each component. Make certain that your set up will get plenty of water flow.

Since it appears that you are converting an old gas hull, be careful to seal up the hull against water entry.

Gas and nitro boats may work fine with water sloshing about in the hull but your electric will not like it.

If your speed control is not waterprofed spray both it and the receiver (electronics board) with CorrosionX to protect them. I also put my receivers into a balloon.

A special motor mount is nice but generally not necessary if your mount is securely attached to the rails. I use a piece of aluminum sheet drilled with the appropriate holes and mounted to uprights that are epoxyed to the rails. the uprights are braced either forward or aft of the rear of the motor/mount. But what ever you do be certain to brace the front of the motor to prevent the motor from bouncing up & down in race water.

Post more pics as you build, looks like good work.

Regards,

Back