Do FE Limited classes result in more carnage?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That reminds me Doug. What's a lane? One boat width? That's funny. So is 3 boat lengths. A 34" boat with a 30' rooster tail. When can I cut over again?

I do the xtra mill lap(s) whenever the race venue allows me too. I really like it. I get a good feel for my boat. I guess as I get older it takes me longer to get the feel. :) I don't have any problem with mah or heat. And I don't think I am slow. Of course all my boats are set up loose.

The lane thing cracks me up. I think it is the guy that gets passed, run over, or beat in a race that determines the lanes. :) At least that is what I have seen to this point.

Cracks me up to that there is assumption nitro guys are better drivers than electric guys. Most of the crazy driving I have seen come from nitro crossovers. I don't think some of these guy's understand the instant speed/torque thing and how it may effect the control of the hull.

Doug

In Australia we have a 30 second mill time, everyone starts on the edge of the bank and moves away at pretty much the same time (think of a slow Le Mans start)...usually works fine.

Some meets we have to go around buoy's 1, 2,3 others we can half course straight away, depends on the drivers briefing.

I must say that some of the WORST drivers in model boating over here are FE drivers who apparently race every couple of weeks. I guess if bad drivers always race against each other and never get called for it then they will always be bad and dirty... :ph34r:

LOL I can think of some shocking gas boat racers in this country Kris.

I likethe idea of the full course mill if we half course we get there too early!

Sean

The problem is you. Stay out of lane one and you and I will not have carnage. :)

How about a 90 second clock - no launch after 45 seconds - all boats must make one mill lap prior to being on the start lap. Spreads the boats out a little - drivers get a chance to feel the boat - nitro guys can relate to milling - milling is fun.

Sean - I'll try to call you tomorrow night.

Doug
This would be a great thing!

TL

I believe the P Ltd FE classes (if you want to call it that) are by far way more comparable in turns of speed, acceleration, and handling. Let's face it, its more of a driver's class than any nitro class ever will be. With that being said, you will always have closer racing. Therefore it ultimately comes down to driver experience and we all know some people just do dumb things at times (including myself). What I'm saying is more times yes than non the best driver will win and the CD MUST make the appropriate calls everytime. If the C D does this the carnage will slow down and drivers will know they can't pull any BS moves.

TL

Last edited by a moderator:
To me lanes on a race course is.... silly. Unless its in Track & Field. I mean if you want lanes I suppose you could set the course with a truck load of buoys. Seriously what motorsport has designated lanes? F1, nope. But certain rules are enforced and penalties are issued. How about something like..... if you hit a dead boat your not only DQ'd but you lose extra points and you have to start the next race an automatic half lap behind the field so when others are starting your on the back straight.

When to pass.... well you pass when its safe to do so if you can't complete the pass then back off. plain and simple.

It is up to all drivers to watch what is ahead and what is behind you.

A point was brought up in another thread on another site about the limited classes. Do classes such as these (those requiring equipment parity) create an environment that leads to more boat on boat contact and carnage?

A secondary point was also made, that unless you command lane #1 at the start you have little chance of winning unless the driver in lane one makes a fatal mistake at some point.

Just curious what others think.
Hi Sean,

equal equipment yes,not equal props.

I believe the P Ltd FE classes (if you want to call it that) are by far way more comparable in turns of speed, acceleration, and handling. Let's face it, its more of a driver's class than any nitro class ever will be. With that being said, you will always have closer racing. Therefore it ultimately comes down to driver experience and we all know some people just do dumb things at times (including myself). What I'm saying is more times yes than non the best driver will win and the CD MUST make the appropriate calls everytime. If the C D does this the carnage will slow down and drivers will know they can't pull any BS moves.

TL
Tim, well put. Here in D19 P-Ltd is alive and well ; P-Ltd Sport Hydro and the emerging exibition fun class P-Ltd Cat. Most all of our boats are closely matched so the emphasis is absolutely on driving ability. I'm being forced to drive better and stay cool under pressure. An example of this occured recently during a P-Ltd Sport Hydro race where for three heats I deferred a lane one start to Tylerr's beautiful PT. The fourth heat Tyler INSISTED during the mill that I have lane one at the start and I got it, and led for four laps with Tyler close behind. [Tyler and I have a running joke that whenever I'm ahead of him he'll say " I'm coming to get you, Tony"]. Finally, on lap four heading into turn two I involuntarily deposited a lump of metabolized burrito into my shorts and Tyler dove inside and I followed close behind for a second place finish. The enduring "afterglow" of that race is still firmly lodged in my memory and the bottom line is that learning how to drive smoothly, hugging the pins, and staying cool under pressure is the skill set that P-Ltd racing , at least for me and my other recent "racing-convert" teammates has become a necessary and welcome/fun priority.

Oh, I'm also discovering that staying outside the buoys is important as well :mellow:

Racing P Ltd has some great qualities, but like everything nothings perfect. Great place for anyone new and experienced to FE to have good competition to race. As far as carnage, its racing it’s going to happen, I’m not sure that P Ltd makes carnage worse or better. Really depends on the heat you’re in. If you have drivers with a lot of respect for rules, and equipment, carnage is probably not bad. Get a few drivers that don’t care about breaking up equipment, and push on rules, you’re going to get carnage. I know my driving’s aggressive, so I fall into the carnage category.

Limiting the motors, and speed controls, makes other things about racing much more critical. As mentioned before propeller becomes extremely critical (no different in gas or nitro). Yes I think P Ltd makes the start much more critical. I agree get a decent driver in lane 1 at the start and it’s not uncommon that they can finish the race without a mistake. P Ltd favors drivers that are good starters, aggressive, and in a heat where the CD hands out warnings opposed to lap and DQ penalties.

I won’t stop running P Ltd classes, but having a few open P or Q options would be nice also. Variety in equipment provides another challenge to the race. Especially with the ability to have way more HP than the boats, or drivers can handle. With open classes, would you choose a fast set up within your driving ability, or will you go after horse power that is beyond your ability, because you think you can handle it. The guy who does my set up work always wants things conservative, but I like things beyond my ability. Usually my results are better being conservative, but I’d rather go for it. FE is such uncharted territory, why not explore it.

Jay Halbrehder

Back