Did some testing on a Novarossi .21DD engine on my X-Dyno. Dyno charts inside!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Blevins

Had some time to test a Novarossi 21DD engine in Stock form Vs with my head button i cut to spec. These pulls are done using the same carb and pipe on 65% Bam Fuel. Pipe used for this test was a Nova 50040 pipe set at 8 inches for both tests. I would have liked to go shorter on the pipe but wanted to keep it at a good middle of the road setting to keep things as consistent and stable as possible.

AB%20Mods%20Spec%2021DD%20Vs%20Stock%2021DD%2050040%20pipe%208in%201.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I run this engine in my boats and I might suggest that the pipe is obviously to long. The operating RPM should be about 33k+. I think you should move the RPM band up to that area, by shortening the pipe. What Dyno are you using for this testing?

Last edited by a moderator:
i looked for that dyno for months i think they are out of business.. it was a very nice pc.

I run this engine in my boats and I might suggest that the pipe is obviously to long. The operating RPM should be about 33k+. I think you should move the RPM band up to that area, by shortening the pipe. What Dyno are you using for this testing?
I agree for max power potential the pipe needs shortened some but i wanted to take variables out so i just went with 8 inch. This was to simply test what i had done to the button nothing more. I just got my dyno setup to mount marine engines to test so wanted to do some testing. There will be A LOT more testing in the future
default_smile.png

This is a Nitrodyne X-Dyno it was a production dyno that was sold to engine manufactures etc. I keep in contact with the guy who made these dynos Brian Kinney... actually spoke with him last night about some things i need changed around etc. He still to this day always takes care of me on it the rare times i have ever needed replacement parts etc. It is a very nice unit with a black box for weather correction etc so you can get true and consistent corrected results! It reads lower then most home made dynos you see out there using the same software that this dyno uses but thats fine with me. I use this for a tool and its proven to work VERY well for that for the many years i've owned and tested with it.

Adam,

Thanks for sharing some of your thoughts and projects. I look forward to seeing what you are able to achieve. Thanks.

This is a Nitrodyne X-Dyno it was a production dyno that was sold to engine manufactures etc. I keep in contact with the guy who made these dynos Brian Kinney... actually spoke with him last night about some things i need changed around etc. He still to this day always takes care of me on it the rare times i have ever needed replacement parts etc. It is a very nice unit with a black box for weather correction etc so you can get true and consistent corrected results! It reads lower then most home made dynos you see out there using the same software that this dyno uses but thats fine with me. I use this for a tool and its proven to work VERY well for that for the many years i've owned and tested with it.
Cool, any pics of it?

Care to share what head volume you're using?

Cool, any pics of it?

Feel free to go to my website. Although not as up to date as id like for it to be by far there are some pics of the dyno on there as well as few dyno sheets or so. Mostly of on and off road buggy engines. As that's what i specialized in for years for guys that heat raced them on 20 to 30% nitro. So not always going for all out power like these boat engines! The buggy and on road engines have to transition well and get good run times as where we just hold WOT for 6 laps and who cares about fuel economy
default_smile.png

Cool, any pics of it?

Feel free to go to my website. Although not as up to date as id like for it to be by far there are some pics of the dyno on there as well as few dyno sheets or so. Mostly of on and off road buggy engines. As that's what i specialized in for years for guys that heat raced them on 20 to 30% nitro. So not always going for all out power like these boat engines! The buggy and on road engines have to transition well and get good run times as where we just hold WOT for 6 laps and who cares about fuel economy
default_smile.png
Adam:

As you get more experience with the boats, you will find that they also have to transition well. If you are going to heat race, that is super important. If you are going to Record Trial, maybe you can get by with less of that. Also the car/buggy engines are air cooled and the 70% nitro might be a little hot for an air cooled engine.

I also own an Inertial Dyno and have more fun testing ideas and mods than I can tell you.
default_smile.png
Sometimes we have even had Andy Brown on the other end of the phone while we were testing so that he could hear it. With his knowledge he could pick out things that we didn't hear. Just a ton of fun and LOTS of things to learn. I always used the .21 engines for the "test bed" and almost all of the basic findings transferred over to the larger engines.

I like the design of your dyno. It has some things that mine doesn't have in the way of coupling.

Cool, any pics of it?

default_smile.png
Adam:

As you get more experience with the boats, you will find that they also have to transition well. If you are going to heat race, that is super important. If you are going to Record Trial, maybe you can get by with less of that. Also the car/buggy engines are air cooled and the 70% nitro might be a little hot for an air cooled engine.

I also own an Inertial Dyno and have more fun testing ideas and mods than I can tell you.
default_smile.png
Sometimes we have even had Andy Brown on the other end of the phone while we were testing so that he could hear it. With his knowledge he could pick out things that we didn't hear. Just a ton of fun and LOTS of things to learn. I always used the .21 engines for the "test bed" and almost all of the basic findings transferred over to the larger engines.

I like the design of your dyno. It has some things that mine doesn't have in the way of coupling.
Thanks Marty if you ever want to talk shop hit me up! BTW i've been using your timing software for years now... Its a great shortcut from having to use a timing wheel
default_smile.png

I do realize these engines have to transition as well... Me saying that was more of a generalization.
default_smile.png

Adam,

Do you run motor testing as one of your services that you offer? If so, how much does it cost?

This can be a valuable tuning tool for some of us that don't know what our motors are capable of?

Let Me Know Please?

Mark Sholund

Email is: [email protected]

231-590-3023

Adam,

Do you run motor testing as one of your services that you offer? If so, how much does it cost?

This can be a valuable tuning tool for some of us that don't know what our motors are capable of?

Let Me Know Please?

Mark Sholund

Email is: [email protected]

231-590-3023
Its not something i usually do or advertise.. But i have in the past for some. Shoot me an Email Mark at [email protected] and we can talk shop.

Back