Cube'n Outboard - CMB 1.00 outboard project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Kevin,

It comes in at 6kg RTR, which is about 3.5kg lighter than the Gas Tunnel I had.

Unfortunatly the cowl came out alot heavier than it needed to be. I'm a novice with fibreglass work, and the when I extended the HTB cowl and reinforced it with carbon, the cowl alone came out weighing .9kg............. Ah well, should be bullet proof in any blow overs.

Gives you a real apprecation for the skill RC boat builders have to get boats as light as they do.

Hey Brad,

It's good to get an update on what the finished hull ended up weighing. I didn't get the boat on the scales before you took it off my hands. Seems like a good weight in the end, as I was focussing on a strong build and not thinking too much about weight.

Thanks for all the updates, love seeing the videos!

Cheers,

Dave

Nice work, typicle sound off the MHZ lower.

My first 1/4 scale OB setup was the Zen with MHZ lower, had great fun with it.

Keep up the good job.

Quick update.

Since I dusted of the boat this weekend, thought I would blow some dust off this thread as well.

Its nearly 3 years since I last ran this boat. This weekend it had it's 3rd outing since I finished putting it together in 2012.

There has been a couple of changes since its last run, I swapped out the Carbon SPP wrap around pipe for a Silver Bullett pipe modified by KRE (bigger header and stinger welded on). and a 90 degree header by KRE.

As it turned out I had the pipe too long as I was't sure how short the setup would like. I will cut an inch off the header for the next outing.

The prop was a stock X462 bored out to 1/4" by KRE, Worked well, but I think its asking for a lot more prop. Will try a X465 next time.

It was great fun to run it again. The performance is not where I want it, but I think between getting the pipe set and prop selection, it will be a real weapon.

Short vid below.

IMG_2609.JPGIMG_2610.JPGIMG_2611.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muvxwRMwY_o

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the encouraging comments guys.

Ron - There is some info on the lower unit in the first post. To elaborate, this lower was made by MHZ in Germany however it is no longer available (production stopped about 2011).

In appearance the MHZ geared lower is similar to the Arrow Shark geared lower. However these MHZ's were known for comfortably taking the power of twin inline Quickdraw engines! Very strong, very well made.

KRE did the hard work of making in adapter and mount to make it an outboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back