Cowl mold build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joefroooo

I would like to contribute some information to you guys on making a fiberglass mold. I am making a new cowl for my gas rigger. I am using West Systems epoxy and a epoxy tooling gelcoat and putty from AdTech Plastics. Using these, you can make a very durable mold in which hundreds of parts can be pulled. I will add pictures of all steps and the information to make a mold. This can be scaled up to make molds of hulls, airplane and car parts etc. If there is intrest I will post. Let me know. I am attaching a picture of cowl polished and ready to mold. Hope this works. 2.jpg

Joe Moceri

St. Louis MO.

I personally think this would be a GREAT thread.... specially for those of us that are needing to make a few parts....

thanks

Bill

Yeah, Maybe we could make a cowl for a Linx since you can't even buy one :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I will be needing to make some 94 Miss Exide parts this winter...... And I have never tried to do this before... so step by step instructions and phots would be awesome!!

Thanks for making this kind of info available for us

Bill

Thats funny Joe, Yes the project is done. I made it Saturday morning, 6/30. Took 4 hours to complete. Pulled out plug Sunday afternoon , Cleaned mold. Waxed and layed up part. Will pull out new cowl when I get home from work. That is the beauty of using these products, quick and easy. I post the pictures tonite.

The most time consuming is making the plug. You must watch draft angles on part so the plug doesnt lock into the mold and the finish must be flawless and highly smooth. What you see in the plug will be exactly what you will see in your finished part.

Joe

Nice work! I'm looking forward to this thread :lol:

My next project will require creativity like this. Your help will be appreciated by many.

Marty

The cowl mold is done and I have layed up the 1st cowl. Everything worked out great. I am trying to post the pictures and the steps for you to see. The IW site only allows 200k attachment space. My pictures a sized to approximently 40 to 50 k each. HELP. I feel stupid.

21.jpg

This would make a great thread . Step by step is a good idea and a place to purchase supplies do make some parts and molds , plugs and stuff should be very helpful .

Just hope we don't make to much noise.

Ed

Joe,

For posting multiple pictures, it's better to use the gallery site here and inserting the link into the thread like I've just done.

If you don't know how to isert a link into your message - look above the section where you type your message and you will see symbol that looks like a green + symbol. Click on that and then either type in or paste the link and you are done!

Hope this helps!

Tim.

P.S Nice plug!

Joe,For posting multiple pictures, it's better to use the gallery site here and inserting the link into the thread like I've just done.

If you don't know how to isert a link into your message - look above the section where you type your message and you will see symbol that looks like a green + symbol. Click on that and then either type in or paste the link and you are done!

Hope this helps!

Tim.

P.S Nice plug!
Thanks Tim, I will set up a Gallery here and link to that. Is there size limitations on pictures in gallery also. I have 20 pictures to add. All are close to 50k ea.

Joe

102400KB each so you will be fine!
I have a Gallery set up now with the pictures of the boat cowl build for my gas rigger.

Please follow the manufactures instructions on mixing and on the hazards of glues. I am not affiliated with these manufactures no do I get paid to endorse them, only a happy customer.

After assembling your plug, buff out to a high gloss finish. I wax the plug using Partal #2 paste wax. Wax 5 times buffing off the wax. Do small areas at a time. The wax dries fast and is hard to remove if left to dry completely. This wax film builds up and will not allow the epoxy to stick. Let sit for a day. I use a tack cloth to wipe off plug before next step. Brush on a layer of Partal #10 Film Release making sure of complete coverage. This is a thin liquid, green in color and drys fast. Let dry completely. You can take a hair dryer set on low heat and can force dry. Mix up ( www.adtechplastics.com ) ES204SC Silicone Carbide Surface Coat and apply using a 1" or so nylon throw away brush that wont shed bristles. This is a black gel coat that when dry is very hard and drys to a high gloss. Brush on to approx 1/16 to 3/32 thichness over complete plug. Let dry untill the coating wont transfer to your finger when touched. In my shop at about 70 Degrees took approx 90 min.

Next mix up a small batch of West Systems Epoxy #105 resin and #206 hardner with some 1/32 chopped glass and chopped cotton. Apply to all areas on plug where their is a sharp inner corner. By doing this it helps with getting the cloth in the next steps to adhear with out bridgeing and causing voids.

Next brush on a coat of West Systems Epoxy #105 resin and #206 hardner over complete plug, add 3 layers of 4oz fiberglass cloth cut on a bias to the weave. Cut in small pieces and apply using epoxy, By cutting colth on bias it will conform over the angles and compound areas on the plug. Make sure fully wet out and down tight to the plug. You will be able to see white areas where air is trapped between the laminations. Stiple down with brush to remove. Do not worry if these layers dont look pretty due to it will be covered up on the next step.

Mix Adtech El323TC tooling compound untill uniform in color. It will turn green when fully mixed. I kneed on a plastic covered bench with latex gloves on. Flatten out to 3/8" thick and place on the plug. Push down from one edge working to other side pushing out any air. We are trying to not have any voids betweeen the laminations of any of these materials used. This will make a weak mold. Cover the complete plug with the putty.

Next add 3 layers of 6oz cloth over the putty using epoxy mentioned above. These pieces of cloth can be cut big and glued down. I add a couple more layers of cloth down along the flat parting board sides to make stronger. Now let this sit for 24hrs to dry. When dry, trim the edges with a jig saw with a metal blade and sand any sharp edges along out side edge. I have a couple of hard plastic wedges I use to force between the mold and cowl to remove.

That completes the project. It cost me 40.00 in materials and 4 hours labor to make the mold. It has taken me longer to post pictures and peck type this proceedure. HEHE.

automodule=gallery&req=user&user=2204&op=view_album&album=184

Joe

I would like to contribute some information to you guys on making a fiberglass mold. I am making a new cowl for my gas rigger. I am using West Systems epoxy and a epoxy tooling gelcoat and putty from AdTech Plastics. Using these, you can make a very durable mold in which hundreds of parts can be pulled. I will add pictures of all steps and the information to make a mold. This can be scaled up to make molds of hulls, airplane and car parts etc. If there is intrest I will post. Let me know. I am attaching a picture of cowl polished and ready to mold. Hope this works. View attachment 6389Joe Moceri

St. Louis MO.
Hi, Joe! Can You e-mail me more info and pictures. I'm doing boats from plywood, but some time needs to do parta from fiberglass. Maybe you have seen my posts about new type of flow meter. Thanks. Boris Mazor. [email protected]

I would like to contribute some information to you guys on making a fiberglass mold. I am making a new cowl for my gas rigger. I am using West Systems epoxy and a epoxy tooling gelcoat and putty from AdTech Plastics. Using these, you can make a very durable mold in which hundreds of parts can be pulled. I will add pictures of all steps and the information to make a mold. This can be scaled up to make molds of hulls, airplane and car parts etc. If there is intrest I will post. Let me know. I am attaching a picture of cowl polished and ready to mold. Hope this works. View attachment 6389Joe Moceri

St. Louis MO.
Hi, Joe! Can You e-mail me more info and pictures. I'm doing boats from plywood, but some time needs to do parta from fiberglass. Maybe you have seen my posts about new type of flow meter. Thanks. Boris Mazor. [email protected]
http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?automo...m&album=184

Here is link to Gallery Pictures

Joe

Joe, very cool photos, the cowl looks great. Can you put some descriptions of whats going on in each photo? I am a lttle confused on whats what.

~James

Joe, very cool photos, the cowl looks great. Can you put some descriptions of whats going on in each photo? I am a lttle confused on whats what.
~James
James, I will see if can figure out how to add description to photos, Pictures are in order from right to left in gallery ( for some reason ) but follow my post #14 for how it is done and view the pictures.

Heading out soon for a July 4th party. All of you have a Great day and be safe.

Joe

OK , I can kinda see whats taking place . Seems like alot of work . BUT you can make what ever you want to .

COOL

ED

Very cool description of the process. Nice pictures too. Thanks for the info. I like the materials you are using! very nice one shot build concept. I have seen wood patterns used to stiffen the mold. I like the "blanket" you put over the whole mold...

Latest posts

Back