competitive 3.5 tunnel question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No cutting needed . Mark Hopper makes a bolt on header. Use his pipe (silver bullet) or one of your choice. We ran an Irwin and did well with it. Allows stock and mod with same boat and motor if you feel your stocker is short on power which Grim and a few others have proved wrong. Again your not going to out muscle a Nova but you can beat them with a little attention to setup and driving.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
The secret with any outboard is break-in. Run it rich with good, but not too hot, heat for a few tanks. Break it in with the fuel you plan to run in it. The secrets to going fast are;

1 proper break in

2 set up

3 propeller

4 learn to drive your boat

I have set many IMPBA records and won many national championships with basically "stock" motors using those four tips. Most racers on here will be glad to share their secrets. If not, they probably don't really have any.

The problem I have with the all this is, I had a (stock motor with the shim out ) and a real good prop and I got my a!! Handed to me,

It wasn't close to as fast as the guys that win so I got my motor fixed and I came second at the worlds, next year I came 1st , so i'am not so shore about just take a shim out and you'll be competitive , thats just my 2 cents.

Hey everyone I really do appreciate all of the advice!!!!! Keep it coming please. Mic you said Mark Hopper makes a bolt on header and pipe.....How do I get in touch with him or anyone else that makes these things. I am getting a good Idea about the package that I am going to put together. What about props??? I have been selling bass boats for a long time and I know the prop and set up will make the boat... you can have all the power you can possibly buy but if the prop can not harness that power and throw it directly behind the boat and not in the air then you are just spinning your wheels.....where do I start with props?

thanks again

Mark

I would hit up mark sholund on here. He makes killer props, and can tell you exactly what you will need. You can also send him props you may have acquired for him to work over. His name is shoboat on here.

I would hit up mark sholund on here. He makes killer props, and can tell you exactly what you will need. You can also send him props you may have acquired for him to work over. His name is shoboat on here.
X2 - You CANNOT go wrong with Marks prop experience and advice- not to mention the cust service is THE BEST .

You have gotten sound advice from some very experienced tunnel racers, keep us posted.

If you ask any racer/sport boater he will tell you "Test Test and more testing" and it is all in the setup. You can tell at a race who tests often and who does not. Not the fastest boat always wins, you have to finish a race first.

Beau

The problem I have with the all this is, I had a (stock motor with the shim out ) and a real good prop and I got my a!! Handed to me,

It wasn't close to as fast as the guys that win so I got my motor fixed and I came second at the worlds, next year I came 1st , so i'am not so shore about just take a shim out and you'll be competitive , thats just my 2 cents.
You are "spot on" Shane..... :D

Mark,

Get you an OS, unbolt the powerhead, and send it to someone the first time. Gene Mongar has been around for years and is one of the best on OS. Many on here can get you his contact information. It will be well worth your time and money.

Once you get it back, go play at the pond and work on the other items Grim and Bob mention above. One day later on, when you have some extra time on your hands, pull that powerhead off the boat and "dive in". You will learn much quicker by following the mods someone like Gene does anytime, than spending hours on your workbench hacking motors!!!!!..... ;)

Hey everyone I really do appreciate all of the advice!!!!! Keep it coming please. Mic you said Mark Hopper makes a bolt on header and pipe.....How do I get in touch with him or anyone else that makes these things. I am getting a good Idea about the package that I am going to put together. What about props??? I have been selling bass boats for a long time and I know the prop and set up will make the boat... you can have all the power you can possibly buy but if the prop can not harness that power and throw it directly behind the boat and not in the air then you are just spinning your wheels.....where do I start with props?

thanks again

Mark

Mark,

I have not been able to find a link for HTBboats but Markm Hopper is on here under that name. Not sure if there is another header made for an OS. More than one person has recomended Gene Mongar here and I agree he is the best on an OS, and other motors. While many people want to have all the HP availiable when they start out, it may make you take longer to learn your boats setup. I rather get trim and props first then add HP later.

As for props you are correct they make or break everything. If I could have only one prop for an OS it would be a Grimracer 40X53 2 Blade. From there 40X52 3 blade and Octura M440 X442 X642. The last two would be definately modded by Sholund as they need more HP to work. Other choices are 1440 backcut and Prather 220 backcut, again let Sholund do his magic. At $10 a blade thats cheaper than ruinnig props while learning.

Mic

Kind of back tracking here but another good hull option is the "Woodstuff" tunnel from Mike Crawford. I picked one of these up last summer and was really impressed. Boat is very well built, easy to setup, and fast. Thing handles great and it did especially well in the rough water.

Brian

Hey everyone, thanks for all the info. and suggestions.... I really do appreciate it, Been at a boat show this weekend an have not had any time check the recent post. Does anyone run some kind of trim unit on their tunnels? I saw one on a runabout and thought it was cool... but tunnels can be on the edge of out of control anyways so I am not sure that this is a good idea. What is everyones thoughts? Thanks again

Mark

can used vision boats be found? if they are made of glass then dings can be fixed rather easy is that correct?

Back