competitive 3.5 tunnel question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark bunch

If you were going to build a competitive 3.5 tunnel boat, what boat/motor/outdrive combo would you start with?

Vision hull with an OS ob would be any easy and competitive start, you can later bolt a nova on the lower and stick an SPP pipe on it if you wish

is a Vision the same as the VS1 ? where do you find nova engines and tuned

pipes? what about lawless outdrives?

Novas from Glenn Quarles here on the forum and the Visions are in the manufacturing section here. Auqa craft makes the VS1. I agree with Dions suggestions!

All these boats are great for the seasoned racer. I still like my HTB290! I use the K&B 7.5 lower unit and a Novarossi 35plus21 outboard powerhead. I prefer the Salisbury NR carbon fibre pipe. My best heat racing prop is a T101 from Ernie Lafleur.I run S&W 65% fuel. Although I had some problems this past year,I still beleive that this is one of the best/easiest boats to drive. I won National Champion in IMPBA in 2010 and 2011 as well as 2010 US1 and Excellence of Performance. I will be running this boat at the WTC this year.

HTB290.jpg

Bob, you are correct. The best handling and best driving glass boat I ever had was an HTB290. Just prefer wood over glass for this guy.

Even though i run a TS-3 with a K&B 3.5SS, and i do like it for the money,(im cheap, broke) Vision boats are well built, priced right and Competitive and i believe are easy to set up.....O.S. motors run GREAT! There are a number of tunnel hulls that are competitive if set up right...another one that comes to mind if you want a wood boat is a VS-1.....lots of good choices for this class of hull!

I believe the biggest question to be answered is do you want a boat for a modified or a sport (formerly stock) class? There are some brands named that are better as mod boats and some better as sport boats. Some do well in both classes. Some hulls are more forgiving and some are tougher in certain conditions. Once that is answered then you can look at power plants and lowers.

There are MANY different opinions due to preferences and likes. That is also ignoring driver tendencies and habits. A very good driver can make an average boat look very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeremy at Salisbury Power Pipes will sort you out, you can google his site. The Os lower works well on the vision. Lawless are good products for sure,

The new Vision 20 is a unbelievable boat he has made some changes for the best, that boat with a O.S. in it will fly and you will have fun. If you are in Namba you can run that boat modded in stock and mod long as the outside of the boat is stock looking and no muffler Robert

cobra 2 ????? not many of this boat were made in 2012 but it does run well. and they are competively priced.

it may not be a stellar performer like the lynx or as beautifully crafted as a vision. but in a field of the best of the best it cant be denied. (3rd place, hobart open tunnel 2012) and (1ST PLACE in charleston, A mod tunnel 2012)

Thanks everyone who has responded!!! this is all great information for someone who hasnt a clue.....any other suggestions and opinions are greatly apprecieated

The new Vision 20 is a unbelievable boat he has made some changes for the best, that boat with a O.S. in it will fly and you will have fun. If you are in Namba you can run that boat modded in stock and mod long as the outside of the boat is stock looking and no muffler Robert
OK, I'm confused by the words in bold print. But, at my age I do get confused easily. :unsure:

JD

I also forgot about the VS1. Its still a very competitive boat once setup correctly for sport class.

Last edited by a moderator:
He means that you can do internal modifcations to the os or k&b and still run Stock A tunnel in Florida provided you don't add a tuned pipe. Then you can run the same boat in A tunnel.

Back