Comparing weight on rudder hardware

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley Maglinger

Has anyone compared the weight between these two rudder assemblies with transom brackets? I have spoke with Harry and he has never weighted them, so I want to check with everyone here to see if they have been compared. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 8B395F1F-B6F4-4026-ACB5-D8A989C88C11.jpeg
    8B395F1F-B6F4-4026-ACB5-D8A989C88C11.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 54
  • 9F698494-2580-4061-BE46-85C5CC4FE2EE.jpeg
    9F698494-2580-4061-BE46-85C5CC4FE2EE.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 53
I am going out on a limb here, i think the one with the hole is lighter........LOL

Its aluminum. So its not that much different in weight. Looks like .75x.75x.375. I can weigh a piece when I get home.
Mike

I am going out on a limb here, i think the one with the hole is lighter........LOL

Its aluminum. So its not that much different in weight. Looks like .75x.75x.375. I can weigh a piece when I get home.
Mike
I myself saw the hole and assumed it is lighter. Just looking for some hard numbers.

1.25 x1.75 x .5 alu weighs in at 49.2 grams. That also equates to 1.09375 cubic inches. .75 x .75 x .375 is .2109375 cubic inches. That is almost 1/5 difference in cubic inches. So it is about 9.84 grams lighter. So basically very little difference.
Mike

I came up with an idea on how to explain that weight that everyone can figure out. One quarter and two dimes is 10.4 grams.
Mike

Does it make more of a difference though because it’s weight hung on the back of the boat past the end of the transom?

I honestly don’t know, just wondering.

One thing you have to remember is that the longer the rudder mount is, the further aft the boat will balance. It's just like putting sandbags in the back of a vehicle. The closer to the rear, the heavier the weight on the rear axle. In a similar way, the more weight at the back of the boat (or beyond the transom) the more prop weight and further aft the CG will be. You can take that with however large of "grain of salt" you wish

Does anyone know if they turn the same?

Stick with me here….. I am asking for a friend.

IF the extra weight of the rudder bracket might require you to run more lift on the prop and a little more length on the rudder for efficient turning.

OR the lighter weight allows you less lift prop needing less rudder length

paralysis by analysis! LOL

Some very good thoughts and ideas here... I'd like to hear Phil Thomas's thoughts on this since the longer length mount is suggested for his latest Stealth 45 hydro. NOT trying to put you on the spot Phil. But you most likely had a reason for the change from the old rudder we use to run on your older Sport 40's? Just personal preference or did you see a reason to slightly slow the reaction from input to the rudder? Slightly more precise control? Less likely to possibly spin out? Less reduction of speed through the turn? Inquiring minds want to know!? Lol
Ken

The rudder is about same as old 21 style. The 006 is for 21 and the longer 007 is good for the 45, the rudder kickup design is better and you dont have to cut the blade down.

Back