Chargin' your starter battery

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubledog

Getting the nitro boat ready and have acquired a like new 12v car battery for starting purposes. Its smaller than a normal car battery but larger than a lawn mower. Weights maybe 10-13 lbs.

My situation being overseas is that I'm not wanting to buy a normal charger that works off of 220v. Nope, no way, no how. I'll stuff that joker in my car and drive around with it before I pay for one.

Question for you guys is can I use a 50 mah charger like you'd use for your cell phone for this? You know, make a pig tail out of it and hook it up. It should, but it'd take a week right and be kinda like a trickle charger. Who cares as long as it works. Besides, a starter don't drain that much so a full charge would last a long time.

Thank ya'.

Now that I've looked at it again, its putting out 6v. That should still work but take forever ?

Any advice is appreciated

DD,

Believe your statement should read "lost shaker of salt".. I've got a parrot head sitting next to me..

Mark...

LMAO

****, and to think of the hundreds of times I've heard that song. ROTFLMAO... I'll have to dig out the cd just to doublecheck that part ;D

<edit made> lol.

Doubledog,

get a transformer (if you don't already one) to plug your charger into.

Or did I miss this one altogether?

Snowdog

Snow Puppy ;) How you doing man!

I've got a transformer, but don't have a regular car battery type charger from either Europe or Stateside.

I'm guessing one of these handy chargers will work after making the ends a pig tail. Then again, we can always test through trial and error and post from there. Kinda scared though.... ;D

Unfortunately the 6 volt charger wont work. I use a small battery tender for motorcycles to charge all of my 12v stuff. Its low amperage but it charges my big deepcycle battery in about a weeks time, and my 7 amp starter batteries in a couple days time. they are very cheap and should work well with the transformer you have. Im sure Europe (or wherever you may be) has a bike shop somewhere that carries them. just a thought.

~ james

a 2 amp motorcycle batter charger would work well, thats what i use.

or a normal charger.

DD,

I'm surviving. ;D Got tickets to go "home" for the holidays so life is good. Can't believe it's been almost a year over here already. No boats lately but perhaps Monday will be nice for me to go run a bit.

It might take a while to get but take a look at this:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI00...0001P?&I=LXL353

Works well for me,

Snowdog

Snowdog racing: Actually looking forward to going home when the water is hard! Maybe it's the family, MAYBE it's the LADIES ;D ;D

i was talking with a guy who sells batterys and he said the best thing to do is find a larger battery of any sort and just connect the terminals together and leave it for about a day the larger battery will charge the small one..

paul

That'll be easier than I thought then.

Before running, I'll disconnect the battery in the car and drive with that one to the lake. Should be charged by then right.

Thanks for the input guys.

Latest posts

Back