Starter Box Batteries

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want less weight, run a 5ah battery instead of the 7ah ones you have now. Here is a link. 7ah is 4.75lbs and the 5ah is 3.75 lbs. 2 lbs lighter if you are running 24V.

Mike

I bought a Craftsman 2 drill package that came with two nice drills, two 19.2v batteries, and a charger. All told it was about $120 bucks. The two battery packs will last for a good day of testing, and the drills are plenty powerful for home use.

Im a little confused I thought that Mr Keeley indicated in his article that just tapping the tool batterys for his starter didnt work or did I misread it. Also what advantage does a 10A Gel Cell offer over a 5A. Is it extended useage/stored power or is additional torque/power. Tony J

Im a little confused I thought that Mr Keeley indicated in his article that just tapping the tool batterys for his starter didnt work or did I misread it. Also what advantage does a 10A Gel Cell offer over a 5A. Is it extended useage/stored power or is additional torque/power. Tony J

Seems to be both . If you run many boats , especially Twins and larger engines the batteries get a real draining over the course of the day and the larger batteries do better in these situations . With smaller engines the 7 AH batteries seem to be ok . I have no experience with the Drill battery adaptations but have seen them work and they seem to do well . I seem to run too many boats all the time so the larger batteries are my choice and the cheaper Lead / acids last for years . :)

Time to replace my batteries in my pitbox and I sure would like to lighten it up some without spending a ton.

I currently use 2/ Hobbico 12v batteries in parallel for 24v and they hold up pretty well for the price- normally 2/3 years,

but they suck to lug around with the pitbox/starter and a full fuel bottle. I have seen the dewalt pack type setups and they are nice, but Im not spending the coin for one of those right now. Any other options you guys may use ?

Andy
Stop WHINING you FAG !!! :D :D
My Buddy. I would expect NO LESS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your carrying my pit Box from now on BIOTCH
ohmy.gif

Pretty nice setup Terry, how does the battery connect to the power panel ?

Andy
HA , thats why i have two , one for the Home pit and one for the

Sstarting line .it.stays down there all day under the start tables . The other stays at the home pit for duties back there ..no need to carry fuel jugs to the hot pits dude !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
i'm with foley. side post car battery in the hot pits, pit box & it's battery stay at the tent. side post allows bolts long enough to hook the starter to. all i carry to the start table is a boat & a glow starter for each heat. battery & starter stay all day, battery all weekend. at the fall nats, i started my 4 boats all weekend (.21's), & the atwells stole it one night to start their gas tunnel( A LOT!) for night testing by headlight. they put it to the tset......

Hey T:

Going to the terminals on the outside will just blow the internal (epoxy coated) 15A fuse.

You have to open the pack and tap in directly to the batteries:

starter_012.jpg

Hey T:

Going to the terminals on the outside will just blow the internal (epoxy coated) 15A fuse.

You have to open the pack and tap in directly to the batteries:

starter_012.jpg
Could have done the same thing to get your igniter on the power panel jucied up. Select a positive and negitive of one or two batteries that are tied together and sent those wires to your power panel.

Could have done the same thing to get your igniter on the power panel jucied up. Select a positive and negitive of one or two batteries that are tied together and sent those wires to your power panel.
Ya, thought of that, but then I'd be draining those cells more, right? :rolleyes:
A small amount and probably not enouh to notice the difference.

Tom keeping it simple is taking an outboard and flipping the flywheel with your fingers ;)

Here is a link to the glow driver I use. It is VERY nice but it is not cheap either! RCAT
I was thinking of a lipo glow driver for $30. There is a big difference in price from $30 to $110. What are the advantages of the RCAT one.

Thanks, Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 2 12v sealed acid batt's with a switch for 12v 24v operation. But have found that the 24v spins the eng to fast making starting difficult some times. Every thing works good with a full charge but once the top charge is off the batts it dose not like the big engines.

I am leaning to 3 6v batts that will fit in my box. I have a small box that dose it all.

This is the batt I am thinking of. $20 each. http://www.power-sonic.com/images/powersonic/sla_batteries/ps_psg_series/6volt/PS-6100_10_June_22.pdf

Thy will give lots of power and hold a charge longer.

David

I use 2 12v sealed acid batt's with a switch for 12v 24v operation. But have found that the 24v spins the eng to fast making starting difficult some times. Every thing works good with a full charge but once the top charge is off the batts it dose not like the big engines.

I am leaning to 3 6v batts that will fit in my box. I have a small box that dose it all.

This is the batt I am thinking of. $20 each. http://www.power-son..._10_June_22.pdf

David
Look at that floor !!!!! Butts on the ground ??? No WINDEX trophy for you !! Dave , your 12 volt batteries are just too small , what AH rating ? My Hot Pit box has 2 -12 N - 9 AH lead acids ,....Twins all day long .. :D :D .

This is the batt I am thinking of. $20 each. http://www.power-son..._10_June_22.pdf

David
Look at that floor !!!!! Butts on the ground ??? No WINDEX trophy for you !! Dave , your 12 volt batteries are just too small , what AH rating ? My Hot Pit box has 2 -12 N - 9 AH lead acids ,....Twins all day long .. :D :D .
This is a man cave not a windex factory.

The ones I have now are only 7Ah. The 6v ones are 12Ah and will fit in my box.

David

Check out BatteryStuff.co They have the good stuff. They have the sealed batteries in about every size, voltage and amperages you would ever need. I bought the 12 volt 8.5 amp batteries that are dimensinally the same size as the 7 amp ones but with more snoose.

I must have bought 4-5 of the hand ignitors and have had real poor luck with them so now I use a 3 battery starter box set up so I can run a Mini power panel (for my fuel pump and an OFNA Glow Ignitor clip-also a quality piece) off of the 12 volt and then 2 12 volters wired in series for my starter.

They also have some great chargers. I have both 12 and 24 volt Soneil chargers that are totally fire and forget. I connect them after a race and forget about them until the next race. These chargers evaluate the batteries and condition them. I've been using the same starter batteries for 5 years and they are still strong.

Our club also bought a 3-gang charger from them to charge the trolling motor batteris for our chase boats and that also works like a champ and we can charge up all 3 batteries simutaneously from the single charger.

2 12 Volt 7 ah batteries to power my starter and and Fuel pumps, starting 20's to 90's all day long for several months without charging. The secret is in the pudding! I have a seperate igniter that lasts forever on one charge. I seem to charge my Transmitter batteries way more than starter or igniter batteries.

Dave I sure hope Bill doesnt see your man cave as he might just keel over :lol:

Last edited:

David
This is a man cave not a windex factory.

The ones I have now are only 7Ah. The 6v ones are 12Ah and will fit in my box.

David
Dave...please say it aint so.....do i see a bottle of...of ...of.....GLASS PLUS in your "MAN CAVE"??????? YOU MUST BE JOKING!!Let me remind you that there are imitators, and then there is the REAL DEAL!We must discuss this at the Winternats, IF NOT SOONER, as i will present you with a fresh, ununopened bottle of WINDEX....with sprayer included....of course! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: SINCERELY the one, the only WINDEX MAN! :)

Back