castle 125 speed controller

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter, I think I have done 5 total...3 BCD80's (2 of which were the first run dodgy ones) and 2 125's

This 3rd 125 has lasted about 3mins in an OM26, 12 cells X437/3 and about another 3 in a very under propped 12 cell rigger.

One thing i will say is, i will use an Rx pack from now on, especially with 12 cells.

I will cool these controllers from now on.

Kris

Just a quick note...

I still run Barra's because I feel that I was getting some of the 'bad' ones...My intention is not to bash Castle, even though I know it sounds like it. I am just relaying my findings.

I understand Ron and his crew are getting opposite results to myself, and this is why i am so annoyed. My setups are not as hot as these guys are running, therefore i assume something else is wrong.

Kris

Just a quick note...

I still run Barra's because I feel that I was getting some of the 'bad' ones...My intention is not to bash Castle, even though I know it sounds like it. I am just relaying my findings.

I understand Ron and his crew are getting opposite results to myself, and this is why i am so annoyed. My setups are not as hot as these guys are running, therefore i assume something else is wrong.

Kris

Kris,

our set-ups may be hot by some measure but we are running SAWS...

our success in SAWS we attribute to our [hull-motor-prop] selections and fine tuning...

a good SAWS set-up [hot or otherwise / kv-voltage] doesn't get hot when it's right...

we run loose as a rule with aero in mind and only under ideal conditions...

in sport boating and heat racing running loose is not always an option, the total picture [wind and water conditions, surface water temp, the competition, etc] determines the right set-up for the day...

Ron

Good Points Ron, I forgot (Or didn't realise) you only ran SAW, So of course our experiences will be different :)

Cheers

Kris

not my point...

we don't only run SAWS, that would make anyone crazy in short order :) we sport run and oval race as well!

Ron

ah..

excellent thread

I have only seen controllers which are wet go poof so far

there are some great tips here - dont hold onto that shrinkwrap for too long guys its a water trap

Of the very few Castle 80s I've seen go bad, all were at SAW events and all but one were being run in wet boats - wet inside that is. While the ESCs are supposed to be waterproof, that does not go for the between-the-board connectors. These plugs can leak, and that may be a contributing factor in the rate of attrition some folks are seeing. I'm still amazed at how many folks run wet boats.....and think nothing of it. Water belongs on the outside! ;)

I have two Castle's (Phoenix 80M and Barracuda 80), and have great luck with them for two years now in sprint classes. I use them often. I only blew one when my sport hydro almost sank. After partially submerged for 20 minutes, the controller blew when I was pouring the water out of the hull. Castle sent me a replacement free of charge within one week. I was very impressed.

One other thing people have to watch is the insulation on their motor lead connections. Typically, the three motor leads are the exact same length, and the esc leads are the same length, meaning the three connectors are right beside each other. If not properly insulted, they will bang together while out on the water. Short a phase to phase, and you are talking disaster for the esc.

Back