Carburetor problems

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep_Vee_Luvr

Does anyone know of a good replacement carburetor for the drum OPS .45? The stock one I have isn’t well made and no matter how I adjust my linkage, I can’t get a fully open or closed throttle. I was looking at O.S. carbs but I don’t know which one will fit my engine. I’d appreciate any input. Happy New Year to all!

We use to use the OS 4E carb on the disc rotor engines years ago. You might want to contact Aeromarine ( they have a website ) and ask them. They also make quality carbs for these engines, also.

If you need more travel in your throttle linkage, make the servo arm longer or drill a hole in the carb arm closer to the pivot point.

Dick Tyndall

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know of a good replacement carburetor for the drum OPS .45? The stock one I have isn’t well made and no matter how I adjust my linkage, I can’t get a fully open or closed throttle. I was looking at O.S. carbs but I don’t know which one will fit my engine. I’d appreciate any input. Happy New Year to all!

hi there in australia boaters use the slide carb from a ops 67 engine on a 45 engine with great results, ops still make it,, hope this helps thanks jase,,

I used a CB carb on my disc OPS45 with great success. I probably still have the carb in the carb box. What is the OD of the carb neck that goes into the engine on the drum rotor carbs?

I don't know the OD on the carb yet. I'll measure it and get back to you. I appreciate all you guys' input. Thanks.

The carb neck measured out to 0.550" on a micrometer which converts to 13.97mm. Which carbs out there have a 14mm neck diameter that will work with a drum OPS .45?

I used a CB carb on my disc OPS45 with great success. I probably still have the carb in the carb box. What is the OD of the carb neck that goes into the engine on the drum rotor carbs?
Jon, Any idea where I could get a CB carb or two for k&b 7.5 motors? .625 neck and about .375 venturi- heard they were good carbs for k&b outboards. Thank's, Glenn

The carb neck measured out to 0.550" on a micrometer which converts to 13.97mm. Which carbs out there have a 14mm neck diameter that will work with a drum OPS .45?
I have three New Picco 45 carbs .550 neck and one new OPS Carb .550 neck 30.00 each if you want them ,they are all pristine condition .

I have three New Picco 45 carbs .550 neck and one new OPS Carb .550 neck 30.00 each if you want them ,they are all pristine condition .
That's great news Tom :) . Are they rotary or slide carbs and which will give the best performance? I'm very interested in buying one from you.

That's great news Tom :) . Are they rotary or slide carbs and which will give the best performance? I'm very interested in buying one from you.
The piccos are a combo . of rotary and slide in that they travel in and out and aroud as well (wasn't that a disco song ??)I would recomend them because they have two needles which sounds like it might be better for your application . Let me know ...need money for the Winternats in Orlando !!

Sounds like you need a longer arm on the servo? Also make sure your throttle percentage is set @ 100 percent of stroke. what type of radio are you using. if you decide you still need a carb measure the OD of the carb throat on the engine side. I might have a carb. The radio issuses (Servo arm) must be resolved before any carb will stroke enough.

Sounds like you need a longer arm on the servo? Also make sure your throttle percentage is set @ 100 percent of stroke. what type of radio are you using. if you decide you still need a carb measure the OD of the carb throat on the engine side. I might have a carb. The radio issuses (Servo arm) must be resolved before any carb will stroke enough.
I'm using a Futaba Magnum Junior (T2PHKA) and have my throttle EPA set at maximum for full travel fwd and and back. The servo and arm is a standard S3003 and my carb neck OD is 0.550". I maybe wrong but I feel that my stock OPS carb is poorly made. I say this because studied an old O.S. carb that someone gave me which is too small and it takes a lot less movement to get it from open to closed and vise versa. Also, I have to back the OPS needle out 7 turns to get good fuel flow so it doesn't run lean and at 8 turns the needle valve completely unscrews from the carb body. There has to be a better designed and more reliable carb that will work with the OPS .45 out there somewhere. If the PICCO carbs are the way to go then I'm sold.

I'm using a Futaba Magnum Junior (T2PHKA) and have my throttle EPA set at maximum for full travel fwd and and back. The servo and arm is a standard S3003 and my carb neck OD is 0.550". I maybe wrong but I feel that my stock OPS carb is poorly made. I say this because studied an old O.S. carb that someone gave me which is too small and it takes a lot less movement to get it from open to closed and vise versa. Also, I have to back the OPS needle out 7 turns to get good fuel flow so it doesn't run lean and at 8 turns the needle valve completely unscrews from the carb body. There has to be a better designed and more reliable carb that will work with the OPS .45 out there somewhere. If the PICCO carbs are the way to go then I'm sold.
SEVEN TURNS OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MUST CHECK YOUR FUEL SYSTEM AND MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE ANY RESTRICTIONS AS WELL . I've never had that on an ops carb , four turns max out !!

.550 OD what is the Bore ID 390-430??

On the OPS carb, don't be fooled by the front opening as it is a larger diameter than the neck ID. There is a step in diameters, and the front closing will always have a gap when the carb is actually closed.

Take your carb out, and close it by looking through the neck, and turn it around and you will see there still is a large opening in the front bell.

For being a single-needle carb, it is a well made unit - but take note. OPS carbs more than likely are not sent with enough O-rings installed. There should be a total of 4 O-rings.

Two O-rings to seal the barrel to the body - One fits in the counterbore on the needle body side which the needle body acts as a solid axle, and the other ring seals the output arm opening to the body. I have found the one on the ouput arm missing as new. The brass barrel should be riding on two O-rings, one each side.

One O-ring for the needle barrel to seal the threads - this one is usually found installed.

One O-ring to seal the base of the carb to the intake housing.

OPS Carb O-ring Placement

SEVEN TURNS OUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MUST CHECK YOUR FUEL SYSTEM AND MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE ANY RESTRICTIONS AS WELL . I've never had that on an ops carb , four turns max out !!
Trust me, no restrictions. I've had a few experienced boaters agrreing that thats not right. Fuel only just starts flowing at four turns out. Maybe I just got a bad one but I'm not happy with it at all.

Trust me, no restrictions. I've had a few experienced boaters agrreing that thats not right. Fuel only just starts flowing at four turns out. Maybe I just got a bad one but I'm not happy with it at all.
Are you running a pipe presssure(purge) line to the tank?jw

Are you running a pipe presssure(purge) line to the tank?jw
Yes, I'm running a pressure line from the pipe to the tank. I placed the fitting is right before the weld in the pipe.

I had a OPS 45 with a crappy stock carb. Rod Geraghty made an adapter & bored a K&B black carb to the proper size. Worked really well!

Ed Radz

If you haven't looked into SuperTigre carbs, check them out...very high quality machining and assembly, rubber booted seal on the barrel end, and is a pumper style for great response, super fine mist action also. Extra machining steps in the spraybar area that helps that. It's one of the best carb designs I've ever seen. It's one of the keys to their good performance. Neck diameters are metric, and is NOT an air-bleed style.

I would spend the effort getting to know what they have to offer, here's a link to their contact page:

SuperTigre Contact Page

You can always switch to a plastic housing Perry carburettor, they come in MANY size combinations, both OD and ID.

They will have a direct replacement for the OPS carb in their style.

If you are willing to go through the task, their chart is comprehensive enough to cross reference ANY motor to carb switch.

Perry Pumps

Back