Carbon fiber radio interference?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carbon Fiber Twin. Notice on the pictures how far I run the antennas out the boat. Definitely dont want to lose the boat. I did a range check and found that not having the antennas out of the boat will lead to loss of signal. After that test my antennas are as high as I can get them.

Julian

Okay, now that I have been able to get back to a computer after six days away, let me add another thought to this thread.

I know everyone so far has talked about boats and radio boxes made from CF, and rightfully so. What a few have mentioned, or hinted at, is a wood or glass boat that is lined with CF. I've seen thread after thread where someone has lined part or all of a wood boat with CF to "make the hull stronger". Maybe is does, maybe it doesn't. I personally don't see the need for it but that's just my opinion. What isn't my opinion is that the same issues that affect a CF boat or radio box also affect a wood boat lined with CF. CF applied to a surface will block the transmitter's signal from that direction if the antenna is on the opposite side of that surface. This means that the antenna would need to be above the surface with the CF applied, just like it does in a boat, box or under a cowl that is made from CF alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, now that I have been able to get back to a computer after six days away, let me add another thought to this thread.

I know everyone so far has talked about boats and radio boxes made from CF, and rightfully so. What a few have mentioned, or hinted at, is a wood or glass boat that is lined with CF. I've seen thread after thread where someone has lined part or all of a wood boat with CF to "make the hull stronger". Maybe is does, maybe it doesn't. I personally don't see the need for it but that's just my opinion. What isn't my opinion is that the same issues that affect a CF boat or radio box also affect a wood boat lined with CF. CF applied to a surface will block the transmitter's signal from that direction if the antenna is on the opposite side of that surface. This means that the antenna would need to be above the surface with the CF applied, just like it does in a boat, box or under a cowl that is made from CF alone.
That’s what we all have been saying LOL

DUH comes to mind.......

DUH comes to mind.......
All I can think of is!

I just had an "ID10T" code flash on my screen

If I'm such an idiot, why does this thread exist to begin with? Seems to me some here have questioned the use of CF, including the person that started the thread. Let me remind you of what he posted:

I have heard of carbon giving radio interference. Never checked into it. As far as running carbon fiber radio box lids on a rigger, has anyone on here ever had a problem from using it? I would not think so with the antenna exposed . But would like to hear from people who have tried it. Thanks, Jeff Lutz

Some don't think about how laminating different materials together will affect the operation of other areas. A heating/cooling system thermostat comes to mind, a good example of how laminating two different material together can affect things

If I'm such an idiot, why does this thread exist to begin with? Seems to me some here have questioned the use of CF, including the person that started the thread. Let me remind you of what he posted:

I have heard of carbon giving radio interference. Never checked into it. As far as running carbon fiber radio box lids on a rigger, has anyone on here ever had a problem from using it? I would not think so with the antenna exposed . But would like to hear from people who have tried it. Thanks, Jeff Lutz

Some don't think about how laminating different materials together will affect the operation of other areas. A heating/cooling system thermostat comes to mind, a good example of how laminating two different material together can affect things
. I personally don’t use carbon. I asked this for a friend who uses carbon lids and he has recently lost radio. The key question was about if people have or have not had radio issues when the antenna is exposed. Some boaters were nice enough to share their time and experiences and I did learn about how another antenna can be added to a receiver I’m currently using, which is very good info. Thanks

Back