CAP MAN!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hugh hargett

Did you know you really need to compliment your bulk capacitors for a better power supply :blink: I did; but like anything else someone had to teach me .I also read alot; anyway. You need to compliment your "big" electrolytics capacitors with the small tantalum or ceramic capacitors . The capacitance doesnt matter as much as the fact the tantalums and the ceramics have a low ESR and handle the fast transients or "Ripple" better than the big boys do. What do you lose without them? the electrolytics caps handle the surge better but add too many of them and you can introduce a HEAVIER amperage load on your esc :wacko: . There are what are designated as low ESR electrolytics (the barre type like we usually see) but the smaller capacitance ceramics and tantalums are quicker to charge up and discharge.The big caps are like the brinks truck carrying the big money. the ceramics are like the atm givin you a quick 40 dollars when you need it .This benifits your esc at high frenquency (high rpm) .Your esc will like you alot better when you run high pole count motors with the ceramics in place.Not to mention helping your esc out when you want to run your esc at a higher pwm frequency which gives you a smoother throttle ;since many like to run sensoless motors . You need to run sensored with FOC but we will talk about that later -_- . Anyway the smaller ceramics the NPO class the shiny round ones that look like a plain (sometimes blue) M&M have 0 temperature drift. They keep the same capacitance no matter the temp. The big barrels do not! they can swing as much as 30 percent to the low side when they get hot. They already may be a lower capacitance than they say on the side.A 10% to 15% +/- derivation is typical on the barrel type. Even the nichicons that come on the Shulze . The Nichicons they run are the low ESR electrolytic type I spoke of earlier but they still temperature swing and are between 10 to 20% +/-

theyre rating. What does it mean to you? a better cap for you is a one with a higher voltage rating of the same Farad rating as your esc. You can run a higher voltage cap which is considered an upgrade, but you can NEVER run a lower voltage cap than supply batteries .YOU WILL HAVE AN EVENT! And a small ceramic to compliment it. the best one for this are class one NPO. For the barrels aim for the low ESR type. You can survive with standard barels but do your self a favor and give your esc a break. Feed him some ceramics. Oh I almost forgot aim for caps with a temperature rating of 105 c or higher.

Hugh Hargett

a.k.a. CAPMAN

pic of npo ceramic caps caps NPO.bmpcaps NPO1.bmpceramic-capacitor-with-dielectric-range-of-npo-x7r-or-y5v.jpg

I have some nice barrels EIA certified and low esr I will post in the for sale section

112311022358.jpg

112311022329.jpg

112311022250.jpg

2011-11-23_02-20-05_560.jpg

Attachments

• caps NPO.bmp
    29.3 KB · Views: 7
  • caps NPO1.bmp
    9.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Elecrtolytics with complimentary NPO ceramics. I Breadboarded this one to show, but any boards to be sold are PCB's board with 5 caps and NPO's installed start at $20.00.

Whats next:

wafer style cap board with 1000 of these:140.jpg

2011-11-24_15-54-36_586.jpg

Last edited:
Back