Can you thin polyester resin?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

The best polyester resins I have ever used were Hobbypoxy and K&B but they are no longer available. I like them because they are thin enough to wet out the cloth easily and they are great for sealing wood and fiberglass hull because they flow out nicely.

I have been using the autobody type resin available at Walmart. These are made by Bondo/3M. Problem with this resin is that they are made for body repair and the resin does not flow. Question: Can I thin the polyester resin? If so, with what? Acetone? Or thinner?

Thanks,

Kez

Styrene works well but you probably only can find it at a fiberglass suppy source. Which is where you should get your resin anyway. Resins from auto stores may have been sitting on the shelf a while and tend to get thicker with age.

Mic

Try a marine supply store Ihave had good luck with these.

Styrene works well but you probably only can find it at a fiberglass suppy source. Which is where you should get your resin anyway. Resins from auto stores may have been sitting on the shelf a while and tend to get thicker with age.

Mic

Find a marine store in your area that sells Clear Coat brand resin (this is a brand name not to be confused with clear cast resin. This brand of resin is thinner than Bondo or Evercoat brands. One word of caution, take it home and mix a small batch to see if it will cure properly. The Boaters World store in my area was BAD about stocking old resin. At least what you get a Wal Mart is usually fresh.

Back