Can we be beaten by electric 1/8 Fastelectrics?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzk3fH1ItzY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzk3fH1ItzY</a>
Im a nitro guy myself but I think they have us beat. :angry:

the guy in this vid did 120+mph. I met him on another forum if I remember right he did get the ticket for his truck parked wrong.
Thats Jorge Mrkwitschka , fastest saw racer in the world , he has since crushed that 2003 120+ record @ 140+. I wasn't at the LA SAWS that year , but it wasn't his truck either. ;) Jorge's boats are all one off riggers , not 1/8th scale unlimited's ......Zamn, now I sound like Rick :rolleyes: :p :p :p :p :rolleyes:

http://www.drcwebservices.com/lasaw/default3.htm

Go to Pics and video section on the left to see pictures of the boat and the 140 pass.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not talking about any hydro but just the 1/8th scale, .67 powered hydro verses the same in electric. The electric speeds are fantastic. But until there is some way to race or run equal equipment the debate will continue. Lets just compare same for same.

Nothing to compare like apple and oranges not the same never has been never will.Only race thats fair is a open type race otherwise keep them apart!And yes the FE will smoke the nitro theory.Why do you think trains use electric motors they can pull the load and can go over a million miles before they need overhauled.

ele powered cars, planes,boats,robots, are really fast and fun. but without the screem of a finely tuned engine with the needle and pipe right on, and the smell of nitro in the air, and with all that can and will go wrong, somthing is missing. I havn't come close figuring out the nitro boat thing yet, to switch over to ele would deflate my wallet and put me at the rear of the pack. :rolleyes:

BOY i sure hope the opinion expressed here isn't the nitro majority.

Sure the power source for FE or Nitro 8th Scale is very different but lets focus on the fundimental common goal here.

`To replicate the big UL Boats of past and present in NAMBA & IMPBA competition.'

I think the FE guys have learned a lot from nitro scale builders(and are still learning) as far as their attention to detail & scale setups. FE finally has the equipment to compete sucessfully and in harmony with our nitro scales brothers. We also have voluntarily regulated our power(Mr Newton excluded) to be competive and not to overpower in order to preserve the ambience of the class.

Some of the recent 07 Ohio & Canadian Scale events(IMPABA) were run with FE and Nitro, both sides have come away feeling good about the relationship. There were no stand out FE setups.

I personally think the running both together will help preserve the Scale Class as far as entries and hull diversification in the future.

Of course as far as records go keep them separate.

My 2 cents

Nothing to compare like apple and oranges not the same never has been never will.Only race thats fair is a open type race otherwise keep them apart!And yes the FE will smoke the nitro theory.Why do you think trains use electric motors they can pull the load and can go over a million miles before they need overhauled.

BOY i sure hope the opinion expressed here isn't the nitro majority.

Sure the power source for FE or Nitro 8th Scale is very different but lets focus on the fundimental common goal here.

`To replicate the big UL Boats of past and present in NAMBA & IMPBA competition.'

I think the FE guys have learned a lot from nitro scale builders(and are still learning) as far as their attention to detail & scale setups. FE finally has the equipment to compete sucessfully and in harmony with our nitro scales brothers. We also have voluntarily regulated our power(Mr Newton excluded) to be competive and not to overpower in order to preserve the ambience of the class.

Some of the recent 07 Ohio & Canadian Scale events(IMPABA) were run with FE and Nitro, both sides have come away feeling good about the relationship. There were no stand out FE setups.

I personally think the running both together will help preserve the Scale Class as far as entries and hull diversification in the future.

Of course as far as records go keep them separate.

My 2 cents

Its hard to resist all the factors that go into racing Nitro , SO MANY things can bite you- but when you get it right its sweet esp with a hot setup. Nothing against the F/E boats or racers, but its plug and play-with the given knowledge to do so of course-and DEEP pockets. And yes, the attention do detail and craftsmanship are on the same scale already. Eddie Hanson as well as some others are building some **** fine looking 1/8th scale boats and parts. B)

Andy

Nothing against the F/E boats or racers, but its plug and play-with the given knowledge to do so of course-and DEEP pockets.
Andy

It is good to see that the Internet has produced so many "experts" in electric boat racing. :lol:

Is this true? What is fast these days, nitro or electrics. With new technology like brushless motors and LIPO cells and the new A123 cells electrics are going fast these days.. But can we still bea them in oval racing with our .67 nitro engines?
I have not seen any electric win a heat race in scale yet.

Not that the boat is not as fast but they seem to not able to control their speed like the nitro boats and lose power or spin from too much.
Phil if I could of got you out of lane 1 that statement might of been different. LOL Either way I still had fun

Faster? Sounds cool, but from what I've seen in RCU and UNW the last 7 years is that some guys are barely holding on with the speeds we are going now. Some of that, of course, is because the boats don't handle very well. You could probaly put bigger nitro motors/props and go faster, but is that the point? To me it's about competition. Without some sort of regulation in any class as to engine c.i.d. or the electric motor and the number of batteries it comes down to cubic money instead of making the best of what the rules allow and driving skill. Most nitro boats running with a good tune are within a couple of miles an hour of each other. With a playing field that level it has come down to not how fast you can go, but rather how slow you can go to grab lane 1 and then accelerate like a rocket to keep it. At least around here you don't see that many boats being passed on the outside unless someone makes a mistake. This makes for some absolutly great racing though. Having a slightly slower boat on the inside than the overtaking boat really makes it come down to driving skill. I've had races that it has taken me 4 & 1/2 laps to get around somebody and conversly had to hold another boat off for several laps-now THAT is FUN!!
A boat that is 70-80 mph? We could really have some goods blow overs and wrecks then. I was happy to quit taking my rc stuff home in a bucket when I quit flying airplanes.

Cubic money... that is a good one, Mike! I agree totally. There is little else that beats the fun of working over a guy with a lead until you drag race him to the finish line. I just had one of those this weekend and I am still floatin’! This is a drivers class which makes it a ton of fun!

Marc

Marc

Nothing against the F/E boats or racers, but its plug and play-with the given knowledge to do so of course-and DEEP pockets.
Andy

It is good to see that the Internet has produced so many "experts" in electric boat racing. :lol:
Well lets see, what exactly can you tune on an electric boat ?? motor / esc and battery wise Kevin ?? besides actually just changing one of them ..... :huh:

Andy

And by the way , I make no claim to be an F/E expert- but I have owned several and still do. <_<

yes you can adjust the esc. timing and frequency

not much you can do with the motor beside pick the right size and wind. That in itself can be a challenge for some.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes you can adjust the esc. timing and frequency
not much you can do with the motor beside pick the right size and wind. That in itself can be a challenge for some.
You're right: as I mentioned I race 1/10 electric touringcars and I can fine-tune my my MAmba Max by using my laptop for timing, brake and acceleration curve, battery drop etc. We are beating the 1/8 nitro guys out of the corner and even making faster lap times. I still racing nitro in my 1/8 hydroplane cause I love the sound and the smell of fresh fuel BUT batteries are plug and play and off you go (If you have setup right your esc and your hydro). Disadvantages of batteries is that the new Lipo's are still expensive and it takes almost a hour to charge a 5000mah pack on 5 amps and that is why the nitro wins: refuel restart and hit the water again!

Latest posts

Back