CAFE CUP III update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanN

It has been brought to my attention that some attendees would like to run a 1/8 size course. We can put this size in our pond and would like to know what other attendees or potential ones would like to do. Howard and I will be setting up the course on Sunday...so please reply.

Sprint 1/8 size and 4laps? At least thats what I currently think/know.

Offshore...doesn't matte.

1/8 scale gotta have it.

There is some disfunctional math going on out there on the internet.

For everyone's info:

5 laps on 1/8 mi. course = 6.25 laps on 1/10 mi. course

Get any lap penalty and you are looking at the equivalent of 7.5 laps.

Howard may be right about going only 4 laps for the smaller classes.

With all of the time that I have put into getting my N2 Sport Hydro ready, having to mess around with the set up with only 2.5 weeks (and little or no opportunity to run the boat before the race) is crazy. If I got a lap penalty, it won't finish without shutting down (a few times).

I'm with Howard. 4 laps for the low cell count classes.

KW

or we give you a 50 point penalty for each cut bouy and a DQ on the 3rd..

no extra laps

That's a good option.

What about a jumped start. The fear of jumping might cause some of our rather funky starts to get even funkier with stopping and zig-zagging to avoid certain death. :eek:

KW

Last edited by a moderator:
jump starts are the same.. if you jumped the start you haven't started yet.

so a jump is a extra lap.

its actually easier to start because you have more room to line up..

if you mess up someone at the start its a DQ CD call

brooks93 said:
if you mess up someone at the start its a DQ CD call
113761[/snapback]

You have a better chance of the drivers stand being hit by a meteor than of there being a DQ called at a FE race! :lol:

KW

not at our race.. I got a dq last year . its up to the racers to police themselves and if they don't then its the CD's job.

but, I see your point but, then again when was the last time you seen that problem at the cafe race

I'm glad my lap math was correct on the other board. Don't want to be on the disfunctional side of things!

With the point deduction for a cut bouy, Would you want the 1st place boat to get 1st place even with a cut? If not, the deduction should be over 100 points.

Good luck at your race! It's nice to see these types of things getting discussed. We can make our racing even better.

I like the idea of the bigger course for the larger boats.

The three buoys for the 1/8 mi. course are 66ft. off of buoys 4, 5, and 6.

This leaves 6 – 10ft. lanes in-between the 1/10mi. course and the 1/8mi. course.

5 laps on the 1/10 mi. =2640ft.

4 laps on the 1/8 mi. = 2640 ft.

All classes from “P” and down should run the 1/10 Mi. and “Q” and above the 1/8 mi. course.

LSH could run 8 laps on the 1/8 course.

The length of the course really depends on the height of the drivers stand and how far that it is from the course. Depth perception really starts to come into effect hear, and can contribute to a lot of carnage.

The idea of a 1/6 mi. coarse with the straight a ways being 346ft. long, you would need a drivers stand 30ft. high at the waters edge.

Larry

The idea of a 1/6 mi. coarse with the straight a ways being 346ft. long, you would need a drivers stand 30ft. high at the waters edge
says who.

hasn't been a problem with the 2 races I have been to and the drivers stands where not much over 10 feet if that above the water

TRUCKPULL said:
I like the idea of the bigger course for the larger boats.The three buoys for the 1/8 mi. course are 66ft. off of buoys 4, 5, and 6.

This leaves 6 – 10ft. lanes in-between the 1/10mi. course and the 1/8mi. course.

113871[/snapback]

It doesn't have to be that complicated. Nix the current oval or run one or the other (if a club can't fit the 1/8 course).

We've had both courses set up at the same time and it's a mess. Yeah you can negotiate one or the other, but there are just too many bouys out there.

If a lane is 2 boat widths wide, then 6-10 ft isn't enough room anyway.

We're staying with the 1/8 mi. course and we're not looking back.

220 ft straights, 35 ft radii turns.

drobie said:
If a lane is 2 boat widths wide, then 6-10 ft isn't enough room anyway.

113884[/snapback]

66ft. between the buoys.

There are 6 lanes, 10ft. wide each. with 6ft. left over on the outside.

If a lane is two boat widths, you can have 5ft. wide boats.

Larry

TRUCKPULL said:
66ft. between the buoys.There are 6 lanes, 10ft. wide each. with 6ft. left over on the outside.

If a lane is two boat widths, you can have 5ft. wide boats.

Larry

113887[/snapback]

Got it. However, part of the appeal in going larger is to open up the turns a bit. Simply extending the current course without increasing the turn radii doesn't cut it.

IMO.

So you are saying that you want to run all classes on the 1/8mi. course.

In order to do this you would have to go to a points system for cut buoys.

Most setups for oval racing would not make the extra lap on the 1/8 mi. course, without hurting batteries,etc.

1/8 mi. course:

35ft. rad. turns with 220ft. straights.

Larry

Truck I bet you would be able to run the same setup.. you would be in the straight more then then turn so less load.

from what I have seen on the 1/6th mile course we are using about 1000 mah more to go another 2/3 of mile.

6 laps plus a mile lap is 1 1/6 mile race.

Back