Building on a jig

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCOTT WITHERELL

A while back, about a month ago,I built my 1st jig to build on.I have built many of boat(18 yr's) with out a jig,and had very nice boats that are square with no twist(maybe a 1/32 to 1/16 th max)/. "I think", I didn't want to take the time to build one, because it would take time from my boat building. How wrong I was, the Extra time it took to build a jig ,a good jig, 2 to 4 hr's(made jig with in a 1/64th of toleances and squareness).It Cut down my time to build from 5-6 weeks to 2-3 weeks, It was like having an extra pair of hands, I kick my self in the head for not doin it earlyer.

Yea !!!the cinder block hit me in the head,The brick wasn't enough.

Now::: I have one for my sport 20,sport40, gettin ready to make one for my LS 26 sport gasser,And I Made one for my brothers Dumas, Circus Circus, His 1st Build.(I'm watchin and helping him through it).

A while back, about a month ago,I built my 1st jig to build on.I have built many of boat(18 yr's) with out a jig,and had very nice boats that are square with no twist(maybe a 1/32 to 1/16 th max)/. "I think", I didn't want to take the time to build one, because it would take time from my boat building. How wrong I was, the Extra time it took to build a jig ,a good jig, 2 to 4 hr's(made jig with in a 1/64th of toleances and squareness).It Cut down my time to build from 5-6 weeks to 2-3 weeks, It was like having an extra pair of hands, I kick my self in the head for not doin it earlyer.

Now::: I have one for my sport 20,sport40, gettin ready to make one for my LS 26 sport gasser,And I Made one for my brothers Dumas, Circus Circus, His 1st Build.(I'm watchin and helping him through it).

Hey Keelhulled,

Would you mind posting a picture or two of your jigs? I'm a beginner and interested in getting into this aspect of the hobby. Jeff.

Hey Keelhulled,

Would you mind posting a picture or two of your jigs? I'm a beginner and interested in getting into this aspect of the hobby. Jeff.
This is the sport 20 jig , the jig is based on the dumas jig, just different demensions to accominate my boat

Last edited by a moderator:
Built this one for my 88 Miller High Life. I used Russell's idea. I will have to cut a hole in the center for the belly pan. 3/4" maple faced plywood. Urethane sealed on both sides.

Miller.jpg

I wouldn't even consider building a boat without a jig.To the eye often things look square but when you run a level or straightedge along it quickly shows how deceptive the eye can be.

I have alawys from the plans taken the measurements between the bulkheads and the main sides and used that for my jigs.

I usually use 1 inch sides to the jig and either cut 2 and 3 x 1ins (4 at least) to fit inbetween the jig sides.If all cross pieces are exactly the same size you have a good quick square rig to start the project.Some people tack their motor and sponson sides to the jig I prefer to use the larger plastic "Jobmate" quick clamps or easy clamps.These giant clothes pegs are ideal for keeping the sides straight and are easy to remove and put back in place if you need to turn the hull over on the jig.Most glues dont stick to the plastic and are eary to remove if they do.

The hours it takes to build a boat from scratch it is certainly worth the few minutes to build a jig.

:rolleyes:

keelhulled, I'm ready to buy your plans for the SP 20. :D How are they and is paypal good for you?

PM me

Back