Building Materials

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooycheese

Chat Moderator
Hi all,

I broke my boom tubes this weekend on my .12 rigger. I am interested in making new sponsons and would like to know the best place to buy some carbonfiber tubing and maybe even some Delrin collars? I looked at McmasterCarr since I can drive over and pick stuff at will call, and the 4' rod and 4 collars will cost $22 for the rod and $6.33 for each collar. That is about $50 for rods and collars, is there anywhere cheaper I can get this kind of stuff from? I need to have these sponson rebuilt and on the boat in less than 2 weeks for the next race which is September 1st. Please Help :)

Thank You,

Paul

p.s. For a A Hydro would I need solid CF rod or would CF tubing be ok, I was planning on using 1/4" tubing/rod? Then I could use 9/32 brass in the sponsons and 5/16" sleeves over them( the sleeves would be like the sleeves on a Hawk) so 5/16"collars could be used?

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul... Go to Wal Mart (?) OR go to your local sporting goods store and get yourself a couple carbon arrows for a few bucks apiece.... the archery store will have different diameters that you can slip into your interior booms (?) Being a bowhunter has it's quirks, but, I get a whole dozen C/F shafts to hunt with for around 60 $ .... maybe you know an archer? Good luck... just a suggestion, it may work... good race... Mike

Thanks Guys lonestar looks really cheap but before I order I will check and see if arrows are available locally for me.

Paul

I've seen that you guys, have put some rings or whatever on the boom tubes where they enter the tub? Wher can I get those?

And could you please suggest me a place where I can buy a Violet 3rd needle?

the collars are custom made. i make them for our kit, and i know stu makes his own for the crapshooter boats that he builds

the collars are custom made. i make them for our kit, and i know stu makes his own for the crapshooter boats that he builds
Thanks Steve, do these have any rubber spacer under them to seal the hole, or what is their goal, cause I can't imagine they make a perfect joint and don't let any water getting in the tub.

Thanks,

Levente

on our boat and the crapshooter boats the front collar holds the tube from moving side to side only. the collar on the rear tube adds strength in case on a wreck, and makes the boat look better. they are not really designed to keep water out. water gets in around the cowl any way. we put holes in the engine area, and the bait box, to drain water out while the boat is moving. just make the radio box water tite, and don't wory about anything else

on our boat and the crapshooter boats the front collar holds the tube from moving side to side only. the collar on the rear tube adds strength in case on a wreck, and makes the boat look better. they are not really designed to keep water out. water gets in around the cowl any way. we put holes in the engine area, and the bait box, to drain water out while the boat is moving. just make the radio box water tite, and don't wory about anything else
I think I got the idea. :) Thanks for the extensive explanation Steve. I appreciate it.

Back