Building gas rigger from Autocad drawing...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesbon

Thanks again Shnick!!

My local Kinko's doesn't have Corel Draw to open the plans and print. My next option is to have a buddy at a print shop plot me a full size copy, if not, I guess I'll be printing "print screens" of any vital pieces like the sponsons and working from there.

I'm able to convert from .dwg to .pdf which Kinko's can print, but the quality goes way down as the print approaches full size. Any suggestions?

Shnick, from looking at the plans, it appears that the tub width is less than 5". I'm assuming I'll need a 5" width to fit the gasser, am I on the right track here? If so, I don't see a problem with "modifying the tub width."

Also, what's the tub length overall? (not incl. sponsons)

I didn't see a CG noted as well, I assume its somewhere near the rear of the front sponsons?

As far as sponson angles, width and length, I can scale those up from an 8.5 x 11 print I have here on my desk.

I plan to build the sponsons out of ply covered foam, any objections?

Tub will most likely be balsa sandwiched by thin ply.

I'll rob the Octura "gasser" hardware from my 5' Donzi Classic which started as a plug, then ended up as a HEAVY r/c boat which I never completely finished.

Any suggestions, thoughts are welcome!!!

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

[email protected]

Hey James,

You might want to have your friend at the print shop plot you the planes. Worse case, look in the phone book for either a design firm that might be willing to plot your drawings for a fee, or reprographics company that offers a plotting service. You will be better off having the drawings plotted from a CAD program that can read the .dwg format. The line quality will be perfect instead of really poor.

If you can't find anyone in your area to help you out, email (address is in my profile) me & I’ll see if I can't help you out. I work on a CAD program that can read those files.

Good luck

Go ahead and modify the tub, i see no problem...

Make enough room for your rubber isolated mounts though, I would reinforce the mounting points with thin aluminum grommets to prevent the mount from tearing out. Best thing to do is to stick with the 1/4 ply. With that engine, the negligible amount of weight saving will make your tub weak, and your engine will never know the difference.

Tub length is 44" (1120mm)

CG is about 24 1/2" from the transom on mine, of course that will not be the case for yours, with the larger engine and such.

I plan to build the sponsons out of ply covered foam, any objections?

(Thats what i did... )

I'll rob the Octura "gasser" hardware from my 5' Donzi Classic which started as a plug, then ended up as a HEAVY r/c boat which I never completely finished.

(Wanna sell the donzi???)

Have fun....

Shnick :D

Great!! As always, thanks for the input!!!

wswatzell,

Thanks for the info. I spoke with my buddy Mark, he has Corel Draw which should read and plot the plans fine. We;re gonna take a stab at it next Sunday.

Shnick,

1/4 ply it is!

:) Ths gasser Donzi, like my full size one, will go to the grave with me :) I'm a classic boat FANATIC. I dug up a couple pics of the heavy unfinished plug which turned into a r/c boat. I'll most likely never outfit it due to it's weight. Also, if I were to make a plug (again) out of it, she would need some modification of the the hull sides, they don't flow perfect in my opinion.

View attachment 1303

Last edited by a moderator:
Back