Building 1986 Bubble miss Budwiser.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hudson

Hi Guys,

Im building an ML Boatworks hull 1986 bud and am looking for setup tips.

Help would be appreciated.

When you say set up, do you mean how to build it? First thing is to get the width of the tunnel and you need to build a jig for it so it's straight. Then dry fit the parts so everything lines up right. And while building the jig the engine well piece may have angles, you will want to match that when building the top of it so the frame lays flat. I'm sure other can put there advice on here as well. Newton plans would also be helpful.

I got a piece of granite (50" x 27") last week and am using it to build my boat. Typically, granite slabs are almost perfectly flat but use a straight edge to be certain. I have dry fitted the hull on the granite slab and am using a carpenters square (laid flat on the slab) to line up the transom and the side of the boat to make sure the hull is square. From there I tak the hull together with CA glue. After the CA dries I will check for square again then reinforce the joints with epoxy (using West Marine). I'm attempting this without a "build jig" but I'm hopeful I will get the same results. I am always open to suggestions. Thx

DSC_3716.JPG

DSC_3717.JPG

DSC_3718.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Close, its the Dumas Circus kit. Almost indistinguishable at this stage in the build. :)

Dumas probably used the same dies for both boat frame sets. Almost had to laugh when i read in the instructions that the builder has to cut off the excess framing so the cowl will fit

I have never used anything thicker than 1/16" ply for skin as there isn't any benefit to go heavier. Actually, to go thicker on the deck will make it almost impossible to get the ply to conform to the compound curves of the deck.

The offset is on the right (starboard) side. Im building a 79 Miss Circus Circus at the same time and its just amasing the difference in design.

I am uncertain about engine placement. Does anyone know what the cg for a 1/8 hoydroplane should be?

Roughly 1" behind the sponson transom, +1/2". That being said, it can vary from boat to boat depending on how it runs when completed as well

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back