Buckeye 880 & Thunder in the Valley races

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott the way I understand it, it is open mono, not just a gas class.

Mike B
The last E-mail I got from Mike listed the classes this way.

A MONO

40 HYDRO

SPORT 20 TUNNEL

20 MONO

40 MONO

SLS 30

LSG MONO

OPEN SPORT HYDRO

OPEN CAT

OPEN RIGGER

OPEN OFFSHORE

I guess Mike Hemric is more skeered of my f mono than I thought.

Mike B
Mike, I didn't know you had an F Mono :eek:

Scott & Mike, we have until Sunday morning to get it changed to open. I'm all for it even though I don't have a big nitro mono.

Tony is correct. I was referring to the Cleveland club and not the Pond Hoppers. I will call the new President and see how it goes.

Scott, are my meds kicking in or am I seeing "A" mono as in .12 monos on your list? If that is so, I might have to find a way to get to that race! I've got 2 of them right now ready to hit the water and a 3rd awaiting the right parts, almost enough to fill a class by myself! I might be able to bring one along just for someone else to drive.

Scott, are my meds kicking in or am I seeing "A" mono as in .12 monos on your list? If that is so, I might have to find a way to get to that race! I've got 2 of them right now ready to hit the water and a 3rd awaiting the right parts, almost enough to fill a class by myself! I might be able to bring one along just for someone else to drive.
Ron, come on down! This is actually the classes for our club series. It seems several people wanted to run little boats.

4 pages of bagging a club and it finally comes out you had the wrong club! How much DAMAGE do you think you have done to this club and its members??? How have you helped model boating with this post in any way? There is a post right under this one about a member getting ripped off and your more worried someone is missing out on 1 race than helping a fellow member recover his losses. :eek:

Tony is correct. I was referring to the Cleveland club and not the Pond Hoppers. I will call the new President and see how it goes.

Scott, I'll see you there and hey, nitro and gas together.....very cool. I've never had a problem mixing them up. Most nitro clubs did not like to run them together, even during open water, something about the chop that the LSG boats make!

I am not trying to browbeat the nitro classes, I used to enjoy running them. The fact is gas boating is the growth of this hobby today and nitro is dying.....Period!

4 pages of bagging a club and it finally comes out you had the wrong club! How much DAMAGE do you think you have done to this club and its members??? How have you helped model boating with this post in any way? There is a post right under this one about a member getting ripped off and your more worried someone is missing out on 1 race than helping a fellow member recover his losses. :eek:

Mike I did not have the wrong club & I never bashed the Pond Hoppers. All of my posts refer to the Cleveland club. If you look at the title of the post, it refers to the Buckeye 880 which has always been ran by the Cleveland club not the Pond Hoppers.

If you actually read my posts you will find that my complaint is about practicing and not racing. D2 has more than enough Nitro races for me to attend. It's practice time for my kids that I am seeking.

Rick from the Seville club has been trying to get the race going again but as Tony's post states, he is assisting the Cleveland club with the race.

The Pond Hopper club is not in the Cleveland area. It's nearly in PA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott, I'll see you there and hey, nitro and gas together.....very cool. I've never had a problem mixing them up. Most nitro clubs did not like to run them together, even during open water, something about the chop that the LSG boats make!

I am not trying to browbeat the nitro classes, I used to enjoy running them. The fact is gas boating is the growth of this hobby today and nitro is dying.....Period!
I might one day build a Gas Boat but my heart will always be in Nitro. Love that Smell and Sound! Nitro won't die as long as I am alive!!! :D

Mike I did not have the wrong club & I never bashed the Pond Hoppers. All of my posts refer to the Cleveland club. If you look at the title of the post, it refers to the Buckeye 880 which has always been ran by the Cleveland club not the Pond Hoppers.

If you actually read my posts you will find that my complaint is about practicing and not racing. D2 has more than enough Nitro races for me to attend. It's practice time for my kids that I am seeking.

Rick from the Seville club has been trying to get the race going again but as Tony's post states, he is assisting the Cleveland club with the race.

The Pond Hopper club is not in the Cleveland area. It's nearly in PA.
Joe, the North Coast Pond Hoppers is actually near Cleveland, in Elyria. It's around 15 minutes from the Cleveland Airport.

Map of NCPH Pond

I'm not really sure what Club you are referring to but I live in Niles, it's about 15 Minutes from the PA line in NE Ohio.

Thanks

Dom

Don: If you heard that the Buckeye 880 was a good hydro draw it must have been a long time ago. Even when Vanwagnan was running the race the pond was plagued with weeds. One year I can remember racers showed up expecting a great race and were sent home because the pond was not fit to run on. I went one year, when if you finished you won the race because of a weed infested course. Not sure about timing exactly but I'd say you're talking almost 7-8 years or more since that race was even worth attending. Even at that the club only had about 3 active members trying to pull off the race. I know I was extremely disappointed from what I had heard as well. I made the 880 a race I refused to attend, instead of a must.

Ron

Don: If you heard that the Buckeye 880 was a good hydro draw it must have been a long time ago. Even when Vanwagnan was running the race the pond was plagued with weeds. One year I can remember racers showed up expecting a great race and were sent home because the pond was not fit to run on. I went one year, when if you finished you won the race because of a weed infested course. Not sure about timing exactly but I'd say you're talking almost 7-8 years or more since that race was even worth attending. Even at that the club only had about 3 active members trying to pull off the race. I know I was extremely disappointed from what I had heard as well. I made the 880 a race I refused to attend, instead of a must.

Ron
Hey Ron, yeah it's been a while. That's a shame, didn't anyone think about stuff like adding grass carp to the pond? :blink:

Don

That was kind of a funny situation. If I remember correctly the lake is at Clare Mar campground and was only used once a year for the Buckeye race. It wasn't a club site where they practiced or anything. VanWagnen would go out on the Thursday before the race and set the course. They didn't even bother to take a drive by ahead of time to view the weed situation. Thus it was as much of a suprise to them as it was to the racers on Friday night that they had weed issues. I do believe the camp owner finally had to do something about the weeds because the campers couldn't even fish, it was that bad. That's why they are able to run races there now. The last time I went to that site was just a few years ago. I dropped by while visiting a friend in Ohio and there was very little attendance and mostly gas boats.

As for the Gas only site in someone's back yard they're talking about. I went there once to practise and I can tell you that at the speed gas boats are running today. That site is far too small to run gas riggers on. I ran an 80 plus mph Crapshooter that day and if I blinked, the straightaway was all gone and the retrieve boat was staring you in the face because it was docked at the end of the front straight. Don't get me wrong. It was a beautiful piece of property that any one of us would love to have. It was just too small for racing fast boats.

Ron

I have sat here and read through all of this and all I can say is If we as an organization on a whole don't stick together ( Gas , Fast Electric and Nitro ) then we all suffer....

In D-1 NLMBC we now offer classes for all three and the reason we do so is because we want to hold better events that all will enjoy.

This means nobody is turned away as long as there is enough boats to make a class and even then we try to acomadate however possible..

It has proven to make for a lot more enjoyable weekend for all and it also shows that we can all get along and play well together.

P.S.

Joe you would be more than welcome to come to any of our ponds and test or race and more than likely a gas or electric guy would be there to lend you a hand or tools if the need be .

Thats just the way it is in D-1.

Tim K

Tim, I actually have driven to London to test in the past. It's my favorite site. 45 miles away but 6 hours to get around Lake Erie.

Back