Blackbird 21 build thread

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is the only pipe i tried richard.. i figure it if won't run on that.. why bother with anything else since it is the standard for 21 pipes.. know what i mean.

chris

The Blackbird runs very well, just had to switch out to a known good drivetrain until we can figure out the RS-7 set up. I like this boat & I think with a little more tweaking it will be hard to beat. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Blackbird runs very well, just had to switch out to a known good drivetrain until we can figure out the RS-7 set up.
Looks good Don! I believe you changed engine to MAC? Which pipe has been working for you? Thanks, Richard D
Yes ran a bluehead MAC21, 21FAT parabolic & H-7 prop. I know there is still more in this boat, a couple more trips to the pond and it'll be spot on. :)

Hey aaron.
interesting.. if i put that prop ( which i have one only 46mm and 3.3 ) it might was well be on there for a test weight.

our boats must be totally different

chris
Chris, I broke my good prop, 1450 cut down to 47mm. I have had a hard time getting another 1450 right on the boat. It hops with the h-series. I finally put a 1445 and it seems to run vary well with it. It has some cup in it. I think the boat is vary prop sensitive. Doc

hey doc,

ya i have found h series props to be the same way.. has a lift issue. if you are running a nova the 1445 is to small for it.

octura props are the choice for my boat.

if you need any help let me know and i can see what i can do for ya.

chris

Fellas,

Like Chris has told you all, 1450's are the way to go.

3.46" or less cup and reduced a little if your motor and pipe can't pull it

with good RPM. The 1450 with it's low pitch progression is the best set up

on Warlok's,Blackbird's,or the Blackjack's. I have had mine many times

in the low 80's with less than 3.60" of cup and pipe lengths as short as

6 3/4".

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

hey doc,
ya i have found h series props to be the same way.. has a lift issue. if you are running a nova the 1445 is to small for it.

chris
Chris, I am running the Nova The 1450 has to be just right to get it to run 1445 seems to run fairly well and reliable. If you have a good 1450 to spare I will buy it from you. Thanks Doc

hey doc,

chris
I am alos running an Erwin pipe that Bill McGraw used for years. It takes a real strong motor to get the boat up and going, but once up the motor screams on the pipe, as Bill would say it SQUEALS. Doc

hey doc,

not sure what you have going on.. i have 10 - 12 different versions of 1450's and they all work.. easy to pull..

is you motor ok?? something sounds fishy.

i know don f is using a h-7 on his without any issue's?

maybe the pipe is two short?

20 boats are picky and there is a fine line between to much and not enough.

chris

Fellas,
Like Chris has told you all, 1450's are the way to go.

3.46" or less cup and reduced a little if your motor and pipe can't pull it

with good RPM. The 1450 with it's low pitch progression is the best set up

on Warlok's,Blackbird's,or the Blackjack's. I have had mine many times

in the low 80's with less than 3.60" of cup and pipe lengths as short as

6 3/4".

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund
Mark,

People have been saying that for years. 3.1"- 3.3" by the way. And the diameter is 46mm if I recall. If you can get a 1450 Andy knows just what to do.

When you gonna race that 80mph boat?

Preston,

I have no desire to heat race much anymore,I have more fun testing new propeller

blade profiles and 21 & 27 S.A.W. boats. In fact, I was out testing last week a new

propeller and we hit 85 MPH with our Stealth 21 heat race boat. The air was 103 A.D.

and the water had a slight breeze on it. We are working on some new pipe designs

and some new carbs for our S.A.W. boats, so we are plenty busy testing now.

Preston,

So how are your gas boats doing? We don't

hear too much from you anymore? We are even testing a Gas Warlok Hydro at 76+

MPH and 80 MPH is coming soon.

Keep Testing And Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Preston,
I have no desire to heat race much anymore,I have more fun testing new propeller

blade profiles and 21 & 27 S.A.W. boats. In fact, I was out testing last week a new

propeller and we hit 85 MPH with our Stealth 21 heat race boat. The air was 103 A.D.

and the water had a slight breeze on it. We are working on some new pipe designs

and some new carbs for our S.A.W. boats, so we are plenty busy testing now.

Preston,

So how are your gas boats doing? We don't

hear too much from you anymore? We are even testing a Gas Warlok Hydro at 76+

MPH and 80 MPH is coming soon.

Keep Testing And Have Fun,

Mark Sholund
Don't have the time for the nitro. Not going to shell out the dough for it either. Gas is fun, fast, hassle free, (for the most part) and when you get down to it-affordable. Planes have been rather stress free as well.

While I always enjoy thinking outside the box during a build and sharing ideas or changes with others, there also comes a time when one must admit the designer had the right idea. I had added wood boom blocks to the Blackbird when I built it and thought I had left enough adjustment range. Even though I had carefully measured everything & had assumed there was no reason to drop the rear boom lower than where the original hole was drilled I was wrong. Turns out that even with no shims I needed the rear boom to go lower as the boat was still too tight. I wound up removing the wood block & setting the boat up with the boom blocks that Chris supplied in the kit. Anyway here is a pic of the change & the bottom line is build the kit just like Chris says. This was the only change I made during the build & wound up changing it back as the original set up proved more versatile than a solid block.

Don;

what is the saying about the word "ASSUME" ? :p

carl

Don,

i would say i told ya so but someone beat me to it lol.. had to say it.

hope it is working well for you.

chris

Back