Looking for photos, information, drawings of original Monokai .21 hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThompsonSmith

Looking for photos, drawings or any information on the original Monokai .21 hull.

Jump into the hot tub time machine, I used to own one when I worked for Charlie Pottle at Marine Specialties in Saratoga, CA around 1976-77. I bought the hull kit new from Gary Johnson at Hobbies Galore and installed a slightly modded Veco .19 with new water-cooled head, tuned pipe and some Marine Specialties running gear.

I don't have any slides, photos or record of my old hull, but do remember that Joel Johnson's hull (set up by dad Gary...) was amazingly FAST and smooth. I always tried to get that level, but lack of experience, (heck it was my first job at 16!) that left me with an RC boat with potential but lacked proper tuning, prop work and funds.

It would be nice to make another one style of this hull in FE. As I can remember, the hull itself was gel coated fiberglass and smooth. The top and sides were 1/16" birch plywood. The Monokai was sort of a cross between a smoothed out bottom tunnel hull, a delta hull and a European spec FSR-V hull. I've attached a quick drafting of what I can remember the hull looked like.

I've reached out to @Will Gallagher (mentioned that he bought one on eBay a few years ago), but no response yet (anyone mind prodding Will along?) Appreciate any and all information anyone might have, even putting me in touch with the original designer would be cool.

Cheers, Thompson

Cool! I remember the Monokai mono very well. I was a teenager then. Can remember attending a NAMBA District race at the time (San Diego Model Yatch Pond). A number of similiar designs running in mono class- ie. Norco Eaglet, Northwind, etc.,...Kyosho Transonic (and the other popular Kyosho mono, looks just like the Monokai?)

Latest posts

Back